Defense is the Worst in the Country

Venson

...and these are just the raw numbers.  The real story is far worse since we've only played teams not known for their offense.  If we had played good teams with high-powered passing attacks or something like that, then we would likely be averaging more than a 100 yards per game worse than every single other team.  That's why I used the term "historically bad" in another thread.  That is not meant as hyperbole. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Through our first 2 games, our defense is giving up 52 pints per game. In another thread I noted that is even worse than the old Mendoza defenses under Dodge. Coponi's 3-3-5 has to go. We can't run it. Either we don't have the players, or we don't have the coaching. It doesn't matter. We can't run it. 

I’m gonna need 52 pints per game to get through the season at this rate 🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

If we continue running this same defensive alignment, we are going to have to figure out how to average 2 TDs per quarter to win even a single game this year.  We clearly do not have the athletes to run a 3-3-5 as we cannot stop the run and are not able to apply any pressure on the QB.  Back to the drawing board to put the players that you have into the best possible situations you can create for them.  Four-man front with 6/7 in the box, many more stunts, etc.  Hey, even my wife, who only goes to the games to "people watch" commented "Aren't we too spread out on the line? They can run whenever they want."  Stats would say that she is correct. Anyway, when you are last in the country it's OK to do some unconventional things.  You can't be worse than last.  Meanwhile, better figure out how to score at least 56 points a game.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Eagle71 said:

If we continue running this same defensive alignment, we are going to have to figure out how to average 2 TDs per quarter to win even a single game this year.  We clearly do not have the athletes to run a 3-3-5 as we cannot stop the run and are not able to apply any pressure on the QB.  Back to the drawing board to put the players that you have into the best possible situations you can create for them.  Four-man front with 6/7 in the box, many more stunts, etc.  Hey, even my wife, who only goes to the games to "people watch" commented "Aren't we too spread out on the line? They can run whenever they want."  Stats would say that she is correct. Anyway, when you are last in the country it's OK to do some unconventional things.  You can't be worse than last.  Meanwhile, better figure out how to score at least 56 points a game.

Tell her it's to keep our defensive line from getting in the way of the LB's so they can make the tackles.

I mentioned in the game thread that we could give up 60+ points in almost every game, certainly once we hit October.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Got5onIt said:

Is this defense statistically as bad as those Mendoza defenses under Teflon Todd?

As a quick reminder, Mendoza's defense gave up 45.1 points per game in 2007 only to be bested by Gary DeLoach's paper curtain defense that gave up 47.6 points per game in 2008.

Caponi has far exceeded both of those defensive masterminds and jumped out to an impressive lead to be the worst ever by giving up an average of 52 points per game so far.

LaTech should help pad these impressive stats next Saturday by busting through the 60 point barrier.  Caponi is truly a rare find.  So glad the HC and AD signed off on his hiring.  A feather in both of their caps that they can be proud of for years to come.

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Through our first 2 games, our defense is giving up 52 points per game. In another thread I noted that is even worse than the old Mendoza defenses under Dodge. Coponi's 3-3-5 has to go. We can't run it. Either we don't have the players, or we don't have the coaching. It doesn't matter. We can't run it. 

My issue is that let’s assume that we do make some improvement in the 3-3-5 this season. Even a 20% improvement from this hole gets us what exactly? We’re still staring at a winless season at that point. By the time we’d improve even somewhat you’re into the teeth of the schedule - Memphis, UTSA, SMU, Tulane, ect. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Venson said:

I just read Brett's article and in it he states 

"The Mean Green woke up this morning ranked dead last in the country with an average of 598.5 yards allowed per game.

That’s 33 yards more than any other team in the country."

This is bad. Very bad.

We were bad last year at 121st in the nation with 460 yards given up per game. At 598.5 we are a special level of atrocious.

For comparison, the gold standard of defensive futility around here has always been Ron Mendoza. His 2007 defense (his only season) we gave up 468.4 and were 113th out of 119 in the nation.

In 2013, Skladany had us at 17th out of 125 in the nation at 348.3 yards per game.

Two years later Chris Cosh had us back down to 120th of 128 in the nation giving up 502.4 yards per game.

Finally, Troy Reffett, who I thought was quite good, was fired after the 2019 season when we gave up 411.8 yards per game positioning us at 81st in the nation out of 130 teams.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

how could it not be?  Anyone want to pitch in and buy Morris Skladany's book on how to stop the spread.  It is available on amazon.

When does Morris or the DC realize the defense they are trying to run does not work.  Proof is in the stats.   Hate to say but we have to hire a coach that has been successful but fallen out of favor and is looking to rebuild his career.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 3

When we hired Morris didn't we sign him for less than we were paying Littrell?  I always thought that signaled weakness and capitulation.  Since when does a D1 program hire the replacement coach that's going to catapult them into a new conference and elevate them to new heights less than the previous coach?  Were we bargain hunting?  Then the spin was we were going to use the savings to increase the assistant coach salary pool and get the best staff possible.  Yikes.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3

13 minutes ago, keith said:

When we hired Morris didn't we sign him for less than we were paying Littrell?  I always thought that signaled weakness and capitulation.  Since when does a D1 program hire the replacement coach that's going to catapult them into a new conference and elevate them to new heights less than the previous coach?  Were we bargain hunting?  Then the spin was we were going to use the savings to increase the assistant coach salary pool and get the best staff possible.  Yikes.

When you WAY OVERPAID THE PREVIOUS COACH!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I feel for every young man on that defense. They are being put in a scheme that is not taking advantage of their skills. This read and react crap is ridiculous. Get in a four man front and turn those kids loose. Run a 4-2-5 or a 4-3-4 with a hybrid safety/lb at the third LB position. Caponi is trying to cram a square peg into a round hole and it isn’t coming close to working. 

Unfortunately one of those skills is NOT tackling. I greatly admire your basic decency regarding those young men and their feelings. But I can't get past the image of half of the defense getting their hands on a ball carrier and he doesn't go down......multiple times.

I believe that, especially at the college level, if you are on the defensive side of the ball, tackling should not even be a conversation......it should fall into the same category as your heart beating and breathing. Getting to the point of contact as quickly as possible and shoving aside and/or avoiding a blocker and/or using leverage to neutralize the blocker is a skill you should work on.....and perfect. And when you get there, hopefully in a very timely manner, and your hands are on the runner, it should all be over.

• Upvote 2