Go get Gary Patterson!

Hunter Green

Patterson has been tweeting pics of himself tailgating at TCU games since W1 saying it's the first time he's done it in decades.  I have a hard time seeing him walking away from retirement and TCU tailgates.  He truly loves the Frogs despite how they treated him at the end.

Honestly they may ask for him back with how they looked the last two weeks.

• Upvote 6

50 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

I read he has stepped away from UT. Let him fix our defense and then be the next coach in waiting. 

The ding on Patterson in his last few years at TCU was that he didn't like to recruit and has publicly been outspoken against the transfer portal.  TCU went and got Dykes specifically because he was a heavy recruiter and loved the transfer portal. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, BBA1989 said:

Someone should at least knock on the door and talk to Patterson.  The answer is always no unless you ask.  

As what, defensive coordinator?  Special assistant?  Something along those lines I am all for.

He can't be a head coach unless he is willing to recruit and especially recruit the portal, something TCU fans said he would not do. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

As what, defensive coordinator?  Special assistant?  Something along those lines I am all for.

He can't be a head coach unless he is willing to recruit and especially recruit the portal, something TCU fans said he would not do. 

Yes, as a consultant.  Have him come in and evaluate what the F is going on and provide his feedback.  AD needs to know if this is a legit FBS coaching staff or if they are as outmatched as they appear.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

20 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Special assistant. Honestly wouldn't even care if he still went to TCU tailgates as long as it didn't conflict with our games.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

The ding on Patterson in his last few years at TCU was that he didn't like to recruit and has publicly been outspoken against the transfer portal.  TCU went and got Dykes specifically because he was a heavy recruiter and loved the transfer portal. 

We don't need him to recruit since we've got the "Receipt Bringer" handling that.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

The one good thing about this staff is they are good recruiters.  I'd hate to lose the good recruiters if they are good coaches also.

I believe we have more coaches on staff who can recruit than ever before, at the same time we've invested in the staff behind the scenes for positive results. What we haven't done to my knowledge is figure out our NIL. I believe the first collective folded and it's being managed by a third party now if I'm not wrong. That has to be a part of the equation moving forward.

If we had made this investment in recruiting staff a decade ago with the old rules I'm sure we would have a top 60 class right now but present day college football is pay to play. Like it or not this is the business of talent acquisition and retention, 365 days a year, it's no longer about finding the right fit for your system to develop 3+ years. In my opinion you could trim three or four positions from the recruiting staff and offer ten portal guys 20k a year each. 

As for Gary Patterson, sure, doubt it would ever happen in any capacity though.

• Upvote 2
  • RV 2

47 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Problem is, we had a talented roster last year that is being wasted now. Doesn't matter how well you recruit if you can't teach

Last year with Seth, there were complaints that we did not have the talent to compete in the American. The complaint is that we have the talent and are not utilizing it. I'm not saying Morris has not started very poorly, but we need to get together on the talent level at some point.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I love the idea of bringing in someone like Patterson as some kind of special assistant to the head coach. Texas State did that with David Bailiff, former HFC there and at Rice. I think these young coaches would benefit from and elder statesman having his pulse on the program.

If something like this were to happen (and I don't think it will), I could see Morris reaching out to PB. He's familiar with many of the players and has the experience to work with different schemes.

• Upvote 2