Go get Gary Patterson!

Hunter Green

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If something like this were to happen (and I don't think it will), I could see Morris reaching out to PB. He's familiar with many of the players and has the experience to work with different schemes.

Would definitely like the idea of PB consulting.  I’m pretty convinced we don’t have the players needed to be a successful D1 defense, but Phil was able to work enough magic to make us decent with what we had.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, greenjoe said:

When Todd Dodge was here there were a good many Southlake residents  that came to the game just to see him.  Can you imagine how many Ft Worth people would come to Denton to watch Gary Patterson ?

With the Horned Frogs playing good ball, not even great ball, I would bet almost 12. 

• Haha 1

Gary Patterson was who I advocated for this time a year ago. It didn't happen. Morris isn't leaving for at least 2 seasons, at a bare minimum. GP would get a lot of interest, no doubt. And I think getting his batteries recharged would help him if he wants to coach again. 

BUt we have no idea if he wants to do that again, if he wants to engage in this new portal and NIL world, and most importantly, when considering the last part, we have no idea if he would even consider coming here to coach, since we have no money or following, as compared to what he was used to at TCU and when compared to almost every other FBS team in the region.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, greenminer said:

Absolutely on board with GP on our staff as a consultant/assistant.

Totally there with you (and others) who have suggested this. At this stage of his career "consultant" would be perfect. And as luck might have it, this is the perfect time to knock on his door. He could go to the La Tech game and write up an assessment of the defense with recommendations.

THEN he could come to Denton and help the staff implement his recommendations. We have two full weeks before we play ACC. And that would be a great opportunity to see how well the players and coaches absorb the "suggestions". 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Totally there with you (and others) who have suggested this. At this stage of his career "consultant" would be perfect. And as luck might have it, this is the perfect time to knock on his door. He could go to the La Tech game and write up an assessment of the defense with recommendations.

THEN he could come to Denton and help the staff implement his recommendations. We have two full weeks before we play ACC. And that would be a great opportunity to see how well the players and coaches absorb the "suggestions". 

We are from corporate and we are here to help!

Also like the earlier suggestions of Phil Bennett.  He may even be a better/more likely option due to his familiarity with the program, but any of these types would work.  No way you can trust self evaluation from this coaching staff or HC after showing up so unprepared for the season.  We really need to know if there is anything salvageable.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

We are from corporate and we are here to help!

Also like the earlier suggestions of Phil Bennett.  He may even be a better/more likely option due to his familiarity with the program, but any of these types would work.  No way you can trust self evaluation from this coaching staff or HC after showing up so unprepared for the season.  We really need to know if there is anything salvageable.

Welp, that would be a great place to start.

• Upvote 3

On 9/11/2023 at 12:17 PM, 817Fan said:

Patterson wouldn't put his name on this defense in a million years.

He's got a freaking statue in FW, he doesn't need this headache. -Besides, his ego is bigger than his statue & there's not enough money in Denton to get him north of Joe T. Garcia's.

Not disagreeing with you but I just wonder if we will know for sure unless we ask him.