Exciting Game Despite The Loss

BillySee58

1 minute ago, Udomann said:

This is 100% the definition of rolling a turd in glitter and calling it neat.

No. Just, no. This game had little to no positive takeaways. It was bad football start to finish.

I watched every second. I'll watch every second next week end cheer my team. But there is no amount of sugar coating that can wash off that taste

I’m not sugarcoating things. I’m just saying I was entertained. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Hey, as long as the game was good, and it was enjoyable, Thats all that matters.  Let's also make sure everyone gets playing time because they all work so hard during practice, and their parents are at the game.  

The score doesn't matter.  Everyone is a winner in the end....

Seeing Red Lisa Kudrow GIF by The Comeback HBO

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m not sugarcoating things. I’m just saying I was entertained. 

If you're entertained by that embarrassment, fine, but don't come on here and be all "rah rah.  It sucks we lost, guys, but shucks, that was fun.", and expect the rest of us who fork over $100's - $1,000's of dollars for this program to agree with you.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Hey, as long as the game was good, and it was enjoyable, Thats all that matters.  Let's also make sure everyone gets playing time because they all work so hard during practice, and their parents are at the game.  

The score doesn't matter.  Everyone is a winner in the end....

Remember when Chico used this exact philosophy in our season ender against UTEP in 2015? He let Josh Greer play at QB since it was the last game of an abysmal season and he threw a Pick Six (shocker) that ended up costing us the chance at actually winning a game…

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

2nd half adjustments? They let them drop 30 in the 2nd half. 

Grasping at straws, I know…

Late in the game we had 8 in the box. Earlier in the game we had 5. I understand the situations were different, but at least we know that we have the option to try and stack the line.  

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

It’s sports. Just entertainment that has no bearing on our actual lives. 

Tell that to all our fellow Texas fans who are going to be insufferable come Monday morning at the office.

And then there's all my P5 grad compadres both professionally and personally who are like "How'd the Mean Green do this weekend???" With that dumb ass smirk on their face.

Truly being a G5 University supporter of a knucklehead program like UNT is a masochistic tendency.  Seek professional help friends! I would, but my wife said it's either the cost of season tix or the cost of psychiatry... and I already have the season tix. 😵‍💫

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Tell that to all our fellow Texas fans who are going to be insufferable come Monday morning at the office.

😵‍💫

Monday morning?!  Shit. I can't even get on Facebook because of my timeline being flooded with the "We're back" and "Bring on the SEC". Bullshit. 

4 hours ago, RBP79 said:

I want what your drinkin/smokin....I gave up the Green Kool Aid after Cali and stated on several threads FIU was being over looked.

So LaTech beat FIU...this team will find LaTech better than anticipated...if this one goes south ....ACU will be a possible breaking point. 

I will be shocked if this team stays within 3 touchdowns of LaTech.  ACU will be a dogfight between equals.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

Whether or not it's a bit, I'll say this about the "entertainment" value of this game: the only reason it was a back and forth game was because we have a historically bad defense that allowed one of the most pedestrian offenses in all of D1 football to go wild and rack up points/yards that they probably won't replicate all season.  Being so inept on one side of the ball that we stumble into a dogfight with a really bad team that we blew out the past two years isn't entertaining to me. 

To be clear, there are entertaining close losses where two great teams show what they can do and trade swings and your team just falls short in the end. This was nowhere near what happened last night.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

If you run a 3-3-5, you can't "adjust it accordingly" to fit every roster.

And, to varying extents, this statement applies to any scheme.

You are right. My point was that you don't have the players to play a 3-3-5 so why force it. Play a 4-3 until you get the guys to play 3-3-5. I don't think 3-3-5 is good anyway as a base defense until it is an obvious passing down, but that's just my opinion.  It is there to stop the air raid type of offenses, but OC's are adjusting and running the ball down our throats. Then we are not getting much pressure with our three man front when they do pass which leaves the back end of the defense vulnerable.

Edited by Venson
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

A lot of lead changes and man did Rogers look great. Am I the only one who enjoyed the football game outside of the result? La Tech game should be similarly competitive. I’m thinking we rattle off the next 4.

6_MrHand.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=46c7606bf459

I see nothing positive about losing a shootout against a team that we should have been able to run up the score on. If we play like this against LA Tech, we will get run out of Ruston, and ACU might just beat us too. If things aren't addressed quickly, we are starring down the real possibility of a 1 or 2 win season. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Venson said:

You are right. My point was that you don't have the players to play a 3-3-5 so why force it. Play a 4-3 until you get the guys to play 3-3-5. I don't think 3-3-5 is good anyway as a base defense until it is an obvious passing down, but that's just my opinion.  It is there to stop the air raid type of offenses, but OC's are adjusting and running the ball down our throats. Then we are not getting much pressure with our three man front when they do pass which leaves the back end of the defense vulnerable.

We hired a 3-3-5 guy.  Not a 4-3 guy.  These guys spend 10-20 years honing their bread and butter.  They are not going to make a switch to a scheme they only know how to do 10% of, just because the personnel isn't matching.  It SUCKS.  But it's growing pains.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Venson said:

You are right. My point was that you don't have the players to play a 3-3-5 so why force it. Play a 4-3 until you get the guys to play 3-3-5. I don't think 3-3-5 is good anyway as a base defense until it is an obvious passing down, but that's just my opinion.  It is there to stop the air raid type of offenses, but OC's are adjusting and running the ball down our throats. Then we are not getting much pressure with our three man front when they do pass which leaves the bak end of the defense vulnerable.

A critical part to all of this is whether the coaches think they have the personnel on the team RIGHT NOW that they expect to be playing the 3-3-5 for the next few years. 

If you think you have the future players on the roster, then there is some benefit to going ahead with the new system.  You may take a few more losses than staying with the system that fits your current players, but you gain the year of teaching them the new system and give them experience in executing it. 

However, if you DON'T have the players that you need (size, etc.) then I don't see any benefit in continuing with the round peg/square hole mentality.  About the only people gaining from this are the coaches.  Is the DC so inexperienced that he needs burn a couple of years learning how to coach the 3-3-5?  If so, that's already a disaster.

It would be interesting to hear from the HC as to whether he thinks he has the personnel on his team right now or not.  If not, why isn't he going to option 2, why didn't he address it in the off season, and what does he plan to do next off season?

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

13 minutes ago, greenminer said:

We hired a 3-3-5 guy.  Not a 4-3 guy.  These guys spend 10-20 years honing their bread and butter.  They are not going to make a switch to a scheme they only know how to do 10% of, just because the personnel isn't matching.  It SUCKS.  But it's growing pains.

I'm not sure "growing pains" is an accurate description of what we're experiencing.  It shouldn't require NCAA-record-book levels of yardage surrendered to go through a shift in philosophy.  If it does, then we have to ask if that change was an epic mistake. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

Yeah it does suck. Then the HC made a bad choice.