Coach O is Keeping Receipts...

NorthTexasWeLove

The first game is so important to attendance for the season and we like to lay a goose egg.  Looking around the college score boards we are one of the few teams that got blown out.  SL left the cupboard bare but we did little to restock it.   We can take freshman all day long and if they work out they are bought by Power school with no real risk.  I think we have to go the portal route, I was looking at the players not dress for the game and I hoping I would see some size.  If this season continues this way I will buy GA tickets next year to games I want to go to.  QB coach tell the QBS not to stare down the receivers.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

The first game is so important to attendance for the season and we like to lay a goose egg.  Looking around the college score boards we are one of the few teams that got blown out.  SL left the cupboard bare but we did little to restock it.   We can take freshman all day long and if they work out they are bought by Power school with no real risk.  I think we have to go the portal route, I was looking at the players not dress for the game and I hoping I would see some size.  If this season continues this way I will buy GA tickets next year to games I want to go to.  QB coach tell the QBS not to stare down the receivers.

One game.  How do you think the Baylor and TCU fans feel. This team needs to correct their mistakes, hammer FIU, who sucks terribly, and LA Tech. Come home to about 18k to 20k for ACU, who will bring a good crowd and hammer them. That will reignite some energy around the program. One game and the first game of a new staff, system and QB. My three major concerns are our OL, tackling and punting. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2

29 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The guy has more connections than anyone in charge of our recruiting ever. Let’s let him work and see what happens. Dismiss the comment and have his back. 
I swear this board is an ass whip pin’ during games. I finally stopped following along because every bad play is the end of the world. 

What are you talking about? All I said was he needs to stop trying to act like Deion. I swear people on this board take one comment and spin it into some crap that has nothing to do with what you said

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Nice but we had a QB transfer from Alabama and it didn't work out.  Wouldn't hurt to try but not nearly as optimistic about transfer from Vandy.

One constructive way to look at these P5 xfers coming to Denton is, look at their PT at the previous stop.  Did they ride the bench (for the most part) or, did they play meaningful snaps?

Alec had only a handful of snaps in 4 years at Alabama.  Seals had 16 starts as a FROSH/SOPH before coaching change/injury kinda derailed things.  I honestly don't care enough to research why he did not regain the starting job for his junior year, but kudos to him for sticking through it and finishing his degree.

Point being, Alec is part of a growing pool of evidence that preference should be given to guys that were actively playing/contributing...no matter the level.  P5 bench warmer does not bode well for G5 production.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

Not sure what the F that tweet means, but it’s dangerously close to “it’s hard in Denton”.  This coaching staff is losing it after one game.

Was wondering what he meant by that as well.

Hey, coach, I don't know what you're planning on doing with all those receipts, but this isn't Walmart. 
There's not a 90 day return policy for recruits that aren't any good or don't fit the system.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

The overreaction/overthinking to this tweet is crazy, he's helped recruiting more than ever in the short period of time, and it was one game. Chill out on trying to read into this tweet so much OMG

what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

Knowing coach O there is a very good chance this had absolutely zero to even do with the fans. Everyone freaking relax. 

• Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

The overreaction/overthinking to this tweet is crazy, he's helped recruiting more than ever in the short period of time, and it was one game. Chill out on trying to read into this tweet so much OMG

This, and this again. In a short time he has brought more social media attention to North Texas than everyone else combined. If you don't understand the difference he's making in social media and getting players and people in general noticing UNT, then I'm not sure what anyone can say to you.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

So, if we aren't supposed to read something into it, what point was he trying to make?

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Nice but we had a QB transfer from Alabama and it didn't work out.  Wouldn't hurt to try but not nearly as optimistic about transfer from Vandy.

Look closer, my friend…

Texas State QB TJ Finley played one season at LSU and two at Auburn and lost the starting job at Auburn due to an injury. Finley appeared in 18 games (11 starts) during that time, throwing for 2,199 yards with 12 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Texas State took a chance on TJ in the Portal and boy it sure paid off against Baylor week 1, wouldn’t you say?

Ken Seals’ put up the same stats during his true freshman year in 9 games vs SEC defenses. (Note: Ken only played vs SEC teams due to Covid-19, no cupcake teams to pad the stats)

• 186-of-288 passing (64.6%) for 1,928 yards
• 214.2 passing yards/game
• 12 touchdowns against 10 interceptions

And just like TJ, Ken also lost his starting job due to injury. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

I honestly don't care enough to research why he did not regain the starting job for his junior year, but kudos to him for sticking through it and finishing his degree.

Ken was diplomatic throughout the QB competition/decision and said nothing after the decision was made so I can’t tell you with 100% certainty. 

But if I were to speculate… I assume it had to do with the fact that the new coach ultimately went with the guy he recruited. With the portal these days, if you don’t play your recruits early you can pretty much kiss them goodbye. 

Unfortunately for Ken, he was recruited by the previous coaching staff, Derek Mason & Todd Fitch. 

Edited by C Rod
  • Upvote 1

I realize Coach O’s “Like Prime says, We Keep Receipts” comment rubbed some fans the wrong way. It’s brash and cocky especially after a bad loss.

However after thinking on it, the message sent is not meant for us fans. It’s for the players to see, current and future. A rallying cry for those who are in the trenches taking Twitter grenades. A “Us vs the World” approach can have a positive motivating effect in the locker room. But it has to be followed by action and results, otherwise it’s just empty bravado. 

Only time will tell. GMG. 

Edited by C Rod
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Interesting take.  What results make you say that recruiting has improved?  We looked very slow and unathletic on the field Saturday against what should be mediocre competition.  Were we holding our good recruits for later in the season?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, C Rod said:

Look closer, my friend…

Texas State QB TJ Finley played one season at LSU and two at Auburn and lost the starting job at Auburn due to an injury. Finley appeared in 18 games (11 starts) during that time, throwing for 2,199 yards with 12 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Texas State took a chance on TJ in the Portal and boy it sure paid off against Baylor week 1, wouldn’t you say?

Ken Seals’ put up the same stats during his true freshman year in 9 games vs SEC defenses. (Note: Ken only played vs SEC teams due to Covid-19, no cupcake teams to pad the stats)

• 186-of-288 passing (64.6%) for 1,928 yards
• 214.2 passing yards/game
• 12 touchdowns against 10 interceptions

And just like TJ, Ken also lost his starting job due to injury. 

I've never understood fans who say because 1 guy with a similar path didn't work out you should never take a chance on another guy with a similar path. Every player is different and do or do not work out for different reasons. If we went by that logic for every player, we'd stop recruiting and close up shop.

I'd love to have Seals, especially coming from Vandy. It would be even more special for him to come in and light it up in front of family.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1