Cal vs North Texas Predictions

jtm0097

We are 6 days away from this scorching hot matchup against the Cal Bears. Right now, we are looking at a high of 102. Our guys have been preparing in the heat for this matchup and I think they will be ready. Cal does have guys on the team from Texas and Arizona. While they are experiencing 75 degree temperatures in Berkeley this summer, I think their guys will be prepared for the heat. We are both implementing new offenses and starting QBs. I think both teams will have hiccups. Wilcox is a defensive guy, and previously faced the Morris offense. Cal is starting 4 new players in the secondary and one new LB. These were all transfer portal guys, so it should be interesting to see how they adjust. Our defense is shifting to a 3-3-5 with new faces at LB and Safety.

Predictions:

Even though Cal has been preparing for the heat, I think it's going to wear them down in the 4th quarter. Our workhorse backs and stout OL will eventually wear them down. We don't need Stone to be superman. Just keep moving the chains!

UNT 35

Cal 28

What are your score predictions?

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 6

• jtm0097 changed the title to Cal vs North Texas Predictions

I like 35-28 North Texas.  I think the teams are fairly well matched talent wise.  I’m hoping the necessity of travel and the oppressive heat will be the difference late in the 3rd and into the 4th qtr.  Standing for 3 hours looking into the Texas sun in 100 plus heat on artificial turf is going to be tough on kids from northern California.  I hope so:  GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

28 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

23-17 in favor of the home squad.

10 minutes ago, C Rod said:

I think after Cal plays in this heat, there’s no way in hell they willingly join the AAC. The dehydration, cramping, and swamp-ass will be unimaginable. UNT 28-24.

I think that should we win, a score like one of these is most likely. Should we lose, probably more lopsided as we break in a new offense against an established defense. They also break in a new offense but against our new, unproven defense. 

I have concerns that our defense hasn't had enough experience to fully execute the 3-3-5 defensive scheme and therefore risk giving up big plays.

As a result, as excited as I am for the air raid to return to Denton, I think it's in our best interest (for this game in particular) to focus on our run game and leverage the heat to wear Cal's defense down while simultaneously limiting the playing time of our defense and their offense.

If we go full-blown air raid and try to score fast, I think we end up in a high-scoring shoot-out that will be a toss-up as to who wins. If we focus on running the ball, wearing them out, and limiting their offense's time on the field, I think we dominate the game.

UNT 38 / CAL 24

After starting the season 1-0, the staff has a stretch of five perfectly beatable teams to fully dial in the air raid offense and 3-3-5 defense so the team is firing on all cylinders for the four-game gauntlet of Tulane, Memphis, UTSA, and SMU.

CAL isn't a team where we must come out guns-blazing just because. Play this one smart. Control the clock. Wear them down with our stable of running backs. Get the W. 

Edited by MeanGreenGlory
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

I have concerns that our defense hasn't had enough experience to fully execute the 3-3-5 defensive scheme and therefore risk giving up big plays.

As a result, as excited as I am for the air raid to return to Denton, I think it's in our best interest (for this game in particular) to focus on our run game and leverage the heat to wear Cal's defense down while simultaneously limiting the playing time of our defense and their offense.

If we go full-blown air raid and try to score fast, I think we end up in a high-scoring shoot-out that will be a toss-up as to who wins. If we focus on running the ball, wearing them out, and limiting their offense's time on the field, I think we dominate the game.

UNT 38 / CAL 24

After starting the season 1-0, the staff has a stretch of five perfectly beatable teams to fully dial in the air raid offense and 3-3-5 defense so the team is firing on all cylinders for the four-game gauntlet of Tulane, Memphis, UTSA, and SMU.

CAL isn't a team where we must come out guns-blazing just because. Play this one smart. Control the clock. Wear them down with our stable of running backs. Get the W. 

This. I could not agree more with a thought process or coaching strategy for this game, and potentially open up some air raid late in the 4th as Cal is drained from the heat.

• Upvote 1

I like the optimism here.  But I'm not sure the heat will be as much of an advantage as some are making it.  As J.D. pointed out in a podcast, a large number of Cal players are from Texas and other hot climates.  I doubt Asher Alberding will be wilting from the heat more than a similar-sized dude on our roster.  And with their depth, they will be swapping out players more than we can realistically think about doing.

With a new coach (and staff) in his first game, I expect we'll have some kinks to work out.  I'm especially concerned with the defense's first game being against one of the better teams on our schedule.

I'll guess Cal wins 38-27, and look forward to eating crow when our boys prove me wrong.

• Upvote 2

How did the Morris offense go against Cal last year?

Cam Ward threw for 343 yards and 3 TDs (also had 2 INTs). Washington St only had 72 yards rushing. 

Final Score Washington St 28 Cal 9

I know it will be different teams/personnel but it's interesting to see that his Air Raid System was able to put up 400 yards and 4 TDs.

• Upvote 2

Welcome to stop by our tailgate....nothing fancy (unless you like a good peaty Scotch and a pre-game pickle), but the folks at Cal treated us nicely when we were there a few years back. I was surprised at how many aligned with us in political discussion, but don't let that scare you if you align differently. Plenty of waters and other beverages, and we are toying with how to feed 12-15.

We will be at the south end of the Blue parking lot, under a UNT pop-up shade. Silver GMC Acadia.

Travel safely.

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BearInsider said:

Cal fan here.   Really looking forward to coming out to Denton and watching the game in person next week.  A few things about this Cal team:

• The Bears transfer portal class was top 20 nationally
  • Cal's defense will be its strength.  10 of the 11 projected starters have started games in the past.  The only three newcomers are a safety who was the MWC DPOY last year, a CB who was an all MWC performer last year and RS freshman ILB whose the best athlete on the Defense.   1st team AP12 ILB Jackson Sirmon leads the group.   
  • If the defense has a weakness, it's the pass rush.   The strength will be in the secondary where the Bears have four pre-season All-Conference players and a freshman AA is now relegated to a back up role
  • Offensively, Sam Jackson will be the starter at QB and he's a first-time starter and clearly the biggest unknown on the team.  He was a high four-star recruit, he's undersized at 5'11, he's got a big arm and is very athletic.  How he plays this year will likely dictate the type of season the team will have
  • The OL is the weakest unit on the roster.  The hope is that former UNT OC and OL coach Mike Bloesch will be a difference maker.  All five players are former starters so there's a lot of experience but last year this group was truly bad.   They are better-run blockers than pass protectors
  • Our RB Jaydn Ott is a difference maker.  Got some Freshman AA recognition last year.  He's the team's clear-cut star and can do it on the ground and as a receiver
  • The WR corps is very deep and experienced.  A lot of big WRs.  Some speed but only one proven difference-maker in Jeremiah Hunter
  • TE group are more blockers than receivers.  Former UNT TE Alberding has locked down the back up role and will play a lot
  • This is Justin Wilcox's deepest and most talented team.  That may be damning with faint praise.   And his ability as a HC is suspect given the mediocre record.   He hired Jake Spavital as the OC who struggled as a HC but was among the best OC/QB coaches in the Pac 12 and a lot is expected from Mike Bloesch

It's hard as an outsider to handicap UNT.   New coaching staff with quite a bit of personnel turnover.   Feels like the MG have a strong RB room, a solid WR room and that the OL may be the best unit on the field?   Can your new starting QB run - is a he a dual threat?   

Welcome Bear Insider!🤠
Hope we get to meet many from California this Saturday

.••• Once spent a week (by way of Houston) & a 2 day tourist drive  near Cal Bear Territory (that is, staying in San Francisco off Balboa St near the Pacific) & with my sister & her husband who worked at General Letterman at the Presidio. It was still the vacation of a lifetime.  I lived in Honolulu one time  & that Hawaiian city is no match for the late Tony Bennett’s favorite city.

We look forward to a well played football matchup with no idea what we or what y’all will bring to DATCU Stadium. That makes it even the more exciting.  Travel safe.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1