Looks like ACC about to add SMUt Cal and Stanford

2 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

But how?  Would a network gives the conference more money for SMU? 

If I understand correctly, they are not only willing to forgo all media rights dollars for a significant period of time, they are willing to sweeten the pot above that.

Not the only source, but here's one . . .

TBH, I have no idea why Cal and Stanford appear to be so strongly in SMU's corner, though.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

TBH, I have no idea why Cal and Stanford appear to be so strongly in SMU's corner, though.

My guess is Cal and Stanford are in favor of adding anything that gives the ACC more money to help influence their decision to add schools. If SMU weren't willing to forgo all media money for 7 years, they wouldn't be in the conversation. How desperate can you get.

• Upvote 6

15 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

It brings more money, especially if SMU takes no share. This can then be used to appease the holdout 4

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If I understand correctly, they are not only willing to forgo all media rights dollars for a significant period of time, they are willing to sweeten the pot above that.

Academic brethren. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Why is the ACC interested in SMU for any reason?  

Smut is doing Smutty things.   They are offering to take no media revenue for 7 years just to get the P5 patch on their uniforms.  This revenue can then be re-distributed to current ACC programs that are demanding more $$ from the conference.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

He makes a great point.  P5 membership used to mean something, as in having elevated your athletic program to a top competitive level in several areas.  Not just because you bought your way in!

• Upvote 4

Sources: ACC ramps up talks for adding Cal, Stanford, SMU

A series of meetings will be held this week to further vet and discuss different financial models that would come with the additions, sources said.

The inclusion of all three schools is being heavily discussed, in part, because they would come with significant financial concessions from each of the schools, according to sources. The conversations within the ACC this week revolved around how that additional money would be distributed among conference members.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/38246436/acc-ramps-talks-adding-cal-stanford-smu

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

I guess it's true. If you want something bad enough, and you whore yourself long enough, dreams can come true. 

What will happen, and it will be hilarious if this move goes through; SMU will be shouting and boasting about how they were asked to be a part of a P5 conference.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

If true that ACC members are considering this, then it shows how sad a situation the ACC is in. And this plan will not even come close to solving the source of their woes. As a fan also of an ACC school, which has particularly put itself in a dire situation over many years, it is absolutely sickening. Their leadership has been no better than ours, and I feel like if we had their clowns under the circumstances, NT wouldn’t even have a program anymore. That conference should just jettison clemson, fsu, vt and miami and go more toward the Ivy league mentality. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Smut is doing Smutty things.   They are offering to take no media revenue for 7 years just to get the P5 patch on their uniforms.  This revenue then can be re-distributed to current ACC programs that are demanding more $$ from the conference.

Yep!

tumblr_lxoubc43RY1qaf90uo9_r1_250.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Its just a business deal.  They need more money for their internal issues, we pay, we get what we need.  

Its no different than the girl at the gentlemen's club working her way through college, or when you bonus the young irrelevant guy at your company to make some quiet changes in the accounting ledger because as the owner you're too visible and will be noticed.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

"I'm told Cal, Stanford and SMU are in the process of finalizing a deal to join the ACC in football, men's basketball and women's basketball..."

That will be interesting to see where Smut tries to park the rest of their minor sports.  I think the Southland might have some openings!!

And Stanford sponsors like 30 sports, but were already talking about maybe cutbacks along with Cal.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2