PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I don't know, but if it is it rightfully should be. The future of UNT athletics hinge on Notre Dame shutting up, Florida State staying put, and Mike Arescos negotiating ability. We could spring forward very quickly or melt back down into a SUNBCUSA 3.0 scenario just as quick. 

i agree... just found it fascinating that we are on page 31 lol

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

i agree... just found it fascinating that we are on page 31 lol

Yeah, it's for sure wild. But also something no one has really hit on yet, if our best case scenario on the table happens I see season tickets and donations getting a boost. After the 2024 season I see an even bigger boost, as well as a boost in university applicants. 

• Upvote 3

On 8/10/2023 at 11:49 AM, Cerebus said:

John Canzano is reporting the PAC4 have $420 Million in money to distribute this year.  Normally that would have gone to all members but they left and are no longer able to claim any of it. 

Any payout they need to make to comcast, or a bowl game, they can easily make.

Still seems to me the most viable path forward for the PAC4 is to just add some teams from the AAC and/or the MWC. 

Wouldn't that go to the 12 teams there this year?

Edited by rws69

College football realignment: Pac-12 turned down ESPN offer, per report

“It was ESPN that came forward with a proposal for the Pac-12 that included the four-letter network paying the conference up to $30 million per school and included all of its media rights, including the Pac-12 Network, according to West Coast football insider John Canzano.

But the Pac-12 membership, feeling they could get more in the new marketplace, advised commissioner George Kliavkoff to ask the network for $50 million per school. ESPN's response to that counter-offer? "Goodbye." 

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/college-football-realignment-pac-12-turned-down-espn-offer-report

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

26 minutes ago, NT80 said:

College football realignment: Pac-12 turned down ESPN offer, per report

“It was ESPN that came forward with a proposal for the Pac-12 that included the four-letter network paying the conference up to $30 million per school and included all of its media rights, including the Pac-12 Network, according to West Coast football insider John Canzano.

But the Pac-12 membership, feeling they could get more in the new marketplace, advised commissioner George Kliavkoff to ask the network for $50 million per school. ESPN's response to that counter-offer? "Goodbye." 

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/college-football-realignment-pac-12-turned-down-espn-offer-report

I've said it before on here. ESPN wants the remain PAC schools. FOX now has all of the major west coast markets and ESPN has a big fat zero. They wanted them when they were the PAC12 and they still want the remaining PAC4 now. The PAC 12 programs overvalued their worth a bit. My guess is when Stanford becomes serious about joining the AAC, ESPN will be willing to pony up some dough. Somewhere around 15 to 20 million per year. Stanford is one of the bigger PAC brands and is still available. They also reside in one of the bigger west coast markets. It's a rare combination to have on the market with no future home.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Of course the Oregon St Prez would say that.  
They won’t say “We have no other P5 option”….  Until they have to say it….

then the bidding from MWC and AAC occurs. 

My concern is that if they rebuild the PAC, they’ll poach multiple AAC schools. If it’s just SMU, that’s fine. But if it’s more, we could be in CUSA 3.0, and that’s not great. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

My concern is that if they rebuild the PAC, they’ll poach multiple AAC schools. If it’s just SMU, that’s fine. But if it’s more, we could be in CUSA 3.0, and that’s not great. 

Not sure many AAC schools, other than delusional Smut, would pay $10m and wait 2 years to join 4 PAC schools that may not be there in 2 years themselves. 💰 

• Upvote 5

“The quickest and maybe easiest route in reforming is to acquire the most western schools in the American Athletic Conference, such as SMU, UTSA, North Texas, Rice, Tulane and potentially the Sun Belt’s Texas State. To leave, these schools would owe an exit fee as they are well past the 27-month notice that the AAC requires.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/where-do-pac-12s-remaining-4-end-up-after-latest-conference-realignment-shakeup-160519223.html

43 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Not sure many AAC schools, other than delusional Smut, would pay $10m and wait 2 years to join 4 PAC schools that may not be there in 2 years themselves. 💰 

This is a bad idea. There is no monetary gurantee, no TV contract, and could be left stranded and independent in the not too far off future. 

• Upvote 1