PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

2 hours ago, meanrob said:

They owe $50 mil to Comcast. Not sure of the terms of how they are paying it back. 

Something to wonder about

If the final 4 (WSU/OSU/Cal/Stanford) leave (for whatever scenario), there are no teams left in the PAC. Where do they get the money to pay their debts? Can a conference file for bankruptshy? 

10 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You must’ve forgotten that the Big East was a “power” conference. For football it is now called the American athletic conference. The Pac12 is about the follow the exact same path. Houston, Memphis, UCF, and SMU all joined the “power conference” Big East for the 2013 season. They got just one season of “power conference” football and then back to g5 status. Joining the Pac would be a mistake. We need to build from what we have.

Houston, SMU, et al. technically never played in the Big East.  The Catholic schools left the conference and took the "Big East" name with them before the 2013 season began.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Prediction surely to be wrong.

Cal and Stanford to the American to hobnob with SMU, Tulane, Rice, and SMU for their "shared educational values."

Oregon State and Washington State to the MWC

This is exactly it. 

The remaining Pac isn't picking apart anyone, that's a really horrible take from the writer.

OSU and WSU could and should join the MWC, assuming there's an offer.

Cal/Stanford is the question mark. Stanford maybe can go it independent, but assuming it doesn't, I'd expect both to land in the AAC.

Dark Horse: B12 makes a last minute play for Stanford instead of one of the four corner schools.

• Upvote 1

Stolen from r/CFB, but I find this amusing

====

to whom it may concern,

the pac-12 is excited to extend you an invitation to join our thriving league! as i’m sure you’re already aware, the pac-10 has a rich, century-long history as the west coast’s premier conference. each of our nine member universities boast some of the world’s most prestigious athletic and academic programs; and, recognizing that your programs share similar acclaim, we’d be thrilled to welcome you to the pac-7.

the future of our conference is as bright as ever. last time around, the pac-6 negotiated one of the biggest tv deals in college sports, and our team is following that up by negotiating a very promising deal with apple tv+. in addition to netting $20 million per school annually, student-athletes at our pac-5 member universities will receive one extra free gigabyte of icloud! we’re especially thrilled to see this part of the deal help our schools recruit athletes into our pac-4 programs.

i look forward to hearing back from you, and welcoming you into the pacific-2-- truly a conference of champions.

regards, * george kliavkoff * commissioner of the pac-1 conference

• Haha 2

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/38134021/big-ten-set-send-invites-oregon-washington-sources-say

Seems pretty official now.  I don’t see how Arizona, Arizona State or Utah in good conscience stay in what they know is a house on fire 🔥 

I’m sorry, if I’m a major donor of any of the remaining PAC schools and you tell me your response to losing USC, UCLA, Colorado, Oregon and Washington is….wait for it…”Dallas’ Team” I am not impressed

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Bally's problem was they couldnt deliver.  they couldnt get their product out because they failed to work out deals with cable and sat providers.  they were late to the app game, which required you to have a cable subscription, at a time when everyone was cutting the cord.  then they had an app that for $20 month you could watch just Stars and Mavs games locally, it didnt work great for me and I canceled.  I am still not sure how to watch Ranger games. 

It took ESPN a while to get their streaming quality up, but they were ahead of the game, most people still had cable when they started streaming.  Today its reliable, offering a variety of games, and still reasonably priced.  They can deliver, and thats what its all about.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, meanrob said:

This wouldn’t be bad- AAC West Division

North Texas

SMU 

AFA

Colorado State

UTSA

Tulsa 

Tulane

Rice

Am I missing anyone? 

If the MWC was able to add the four remaining PAC teams (and maybe even keep the PAC name and Rose Bowl) it would be a significantly better conference than it is today.  There would be no incentive for schools like AFA or CSU to leave.  

The AAC better make moves before the MWC does.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, keith said:

If the MWC was able to add the four remaining PAC teams (and maybe even keep the PAC name and Rose Bowl) it would be a significantly better conference than it is today.  There would be no incentive for schools like AFA or CSU to leave.  

There's no way Stanford and Cal swallow their academic pride and join the MWC.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, keith said:

It’s definitely not a good possibility but neither is Stanford/Cal to MWC. 

Im just not sure what moves the AAC has right now. Can’t see them going for WSU or OSU. 

The CSU/AFA thing only happens if the PAC tries to stay alive by taking MWC teams. 

1 minute ago, meanrob said:

It’s definitely not a good possibility but neither is Stanford/Cal to MWC. 

Im just not sure what moves the AAC has right now. Can’t see them going for WSU or OSU. 

The CSU/AFA thing only happens if the PAC tries to stay alive by taking MWC teams. 

This. And CSU/AFA are surely at the top of teams they would take. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

Let's look at the PAC options from a different perspective. Oregon and Washington to the BIG 10, the Four Corner Schools to the BIG 12, leaving Cal, Stanford, OSU and WSU. These 4 programs keep the PAC 12 alive and reload with programs from the MWC plus SMU. Lets give them SDSU, Fresno St. ,Colorado State, Boise St., AFA, UNLV, and Utah St. It's quite a fall from grace for the 4 Pac 12 "left behinds" but better than a poke in the eye. SJSU, Hawaii, New Mexico, Nevada Reno, and Wyoming poach from the WAC and Big Sky or combine with CUSA ot the AAC. I don't see anything attractive for the AAC but CUSA would take Ft. Worth Paschal High School if they could.

OPPS! It appears that the MWC members took a poison pill a few years AGO AND IT WOULD COST A MEMBER $34 MILLION to leave. Looks like the "forgotten four' might be best served by putting all sports other than football in the West Coast Conference and work out some MWC affiliation for football only.

So how can the PAC maintain P5 status with the media rights going to Apple Streaming and all these Universities leaving? Yea...streaming maybe the future but it ain't right now and might be a while before that comes close to being true...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RBP79 said:

So how can the PAC maintain P5 status with the media rights going to Apple Streaming and all these Universities leaving? Yea...streaming maybe the future but it ain't right now and might be a while before that comes close to being true...

There's no such thing as P5 status. (Beginning next year)

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 7

13 minutes ago, wardly said:

OPPS! It appears that the MWC members took a poison pill a few years AGO AND IT WOULD COST A MEMBER $34 MILLION to leave. Looks like the "forgotten four' might be best served by putting all sports other than football in the West Coast Conference and work out some MWC affiliation for football only.

Stanford and Cal aren't going to affiliate with a bunch of religious schools.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

There's no way Stanford and Cal swallow their academic pride and join the MWC.

If academics are important, would they be open to joining with fellow AAU members, Rice and Tulane in the AAC?  UNT, UAB and UTSA are part of the NewAAU.  And while the AAC is at it, see if OSU and WSU are interested for the core of the western division.  Then convince SDSU, CSO and Air Force they are now landlocked in the MWC.  Give them a path out.  Get Army to join in the east and run the new AAC 22-school super conference as two 11-school conferences in one.  Seems like everyone is getting bigger, maybe the AAC should too.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I am worried they will cherry pick the AAC!

The problem was the media deal made up almost exclusively of a streaming platform.  They were worried they couldn’t get enough subscribers to watch Oregon, Utah or Arizona…you really think they’ll have a better subscriber numbers with SMU or Tulane?  

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

The problem was the media deal made up almost exclusively of a streaming platform.  They were worried they couldn’t get enough subscribers to watch Oregon, Utah or Arizona…you really think they’ll have a better subscriber numbers with SMU or Tulane?  

Seen it reported a few places that the Apple offer is only good through the end of the week. With what’s going on, nobody is going to sign it. 

• Upvote 2