AAC Pre-season Media Poll

Harry

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Feels about right, although surprised FAU is so high. They must really think Herman is gonna have a quick turnaround.

I agree. I don't get all the hype around FAU. They were garbage last year. People are just assuming Herman is going to start kicking ass again. I'm not so sure. 

• Upvote 6

I know they lost a bunch of talent at WR, but as long as Frank Harris keeps getting granted additional years of eligibility, they are going to be a problem to deal with.  I'd have them at #1.

Otherwise, a pretty safe bet putting us right in the middle.  We have enough talent to compete, but how the new staff works out is too much of an unknown.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1

i' still the optimistic type that thinks that we'll end this coming season in fourth place.  If we hadn't lost so much talent I'd have picked us higher.  I don't worry about this coaching staff now.  I've seen the enthusiasm and the speed in workouts that exceeded my expectations.  This is likely our best class so far but the Class of 24 seems bent on improving that.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

On 7/25/2023 at 5:00 PM, rws69 said:

This supports a 4-4 conference record for UNT since we don't play FAU or ECU this year. 

That should mean around 7-5 for the season. Not great, not bad. Kind of a North Texas kind of year. 😐

On 7/25/2023 at 4:00 PM, rws69 said:

This supports a 4-4 conference record for UNT since we don't play FAU or ECU this year. 

There are 14 members of the American Athletic Conference.  That leaves 13 to be played.  If we have a 4-4 record that's 8.  FAU, ECU and us add 3 which totals 11.  There must be 3 more that we don't play.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

That should mean around 7-5 for the season. Not great, not bad. Kind of a North Texas kind of year. 😐

7-5 in the AAC is a good season coming in lol. 7-5 in CUSA is debatably bad sure, we never even won CUSA… how can some have such high expectations that a winning season isn’t viewed as a positive this year

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Coltonw83 said:

7-5 in the AAC is a good season coming in lol. 7-5 in CUSA is debatably bad sure, we never even won CUSA… how can some have such high expectations that a winning season isn’t viewed as a positive this year

expectations should be based primarily on budget/spending.  Where is our football budget compared to our AAC peers?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

expectations should be based primarily on budget/spending.  Where is our football budget compared to our AAC peers?

Were you majorly disappointed year after year the past 20 years? I’m just hoping they have a season that shows us improvement from the last regime and I would take a winning season as a great sign. I’ll raise expectations when they show up like the basketball team has, until then I see no reason to expect greatness and piss myself off when they aren’t that good.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, Coltonw83 said:

Were you majorly disappointed year after year the past 20 years? I’m just hoping they have a season that shows us improvement from the last regime and I would take a winning season as a great sign. I’ll raise expectations when they show up like the basketball team has, until then I see no reason to expect greatness and piss myself off when they aren’t that good.

I dont' know where our spending was every year the last 20 years, compared to Sun Belt/CUSA.

I do know that I am always disappointed when we lose.  But if we are spending more than everyone else in the league on football, then the expectation is a football championship.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Coltonw83 said:

11 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

7-5 with a new coaching staff in a new conference would be considered a good thing, right?  

Back to back 7-5 years would be a old Denton type of thing. 

7-5 in a new conference is fine, although that means only beating weaker teams (based on preseason ratings alone). So it's pretty much the same thing we have done the last 20 years. And specifically something we disliked about Littrell. Addressing the expectations question above, 7-5 was good enough to get Seth fired, so maybe the administration has raised its expectations? I think most around here have as well. 

It's a new coaching staff with lots of key roster changes, so we don't have a clue how they will perform. First time FBS head coach, first time D1 DC. Top returning LB, WR, and CB (arguably) in the SEC. No clear QB1. So yes, we likely don't have a strong chance of making a big first year splash and we somewhere between a rebuild and reload. So 7-5 works and won't feel like a setback. It might, however, in reflection seem like a missed opportunity - especially if year two and three don't show major improvement. With our two biggest rivals predicted to outshine us this season, we need to just hope that we have quality losses and not repeat the pattern of the last six years of completely bombing in big games, then 7-5 will feel a little more like progress.

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

14 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

7-5 in a new conference is fine, although that means only beating weaker teams (based on preseason ratings alone). So it's pretty much the same thing we have done the last 20 years. And specifically something we disliked about Littrell. Addressing the expectations question above, 7-5 was good enough to get Seth fired, so maybe the administration has raised its expectations? I think most around here have as well. 

It's a new coaching staff with lots of key roster changes, so we don't have a clue how they will perform. First time FBS head coach, first time D1 DC. Top returning LB, WR, and CB (arguably) in the SEC. No clear QB1. So yes, we likely don't have a strong chance of making a big first year splash and we somewhere between a rebuild and reload. So 7-5 works and won't feel like a setback. It might, however, in reflection seem like a missed opportunity - especially if year two and three don't show major improvement. With our two biggest rivals predicted to outshine us this season, we need to just hope that we have quality losses and not repeat the pattern of the last six years of completely bombing in big games, then 7-5 will feel a little more like progress.

So do you feel like the Cal game is a good barometer of where we are or too soon?  I think if we are able to pull an upset or at least be competitive in that game I will feel a lot better about a 7 or 8 game winning season.  I only see 3 sure losses against Tulane, SMUt and nUTSAck.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

So do you feel like the Cal game is a good barometer of where we are or too soon?  I think if we are able to pull an upset or at least be competitive in that game I will feel a lot better about a 7 or 8 game winning season.  I only see 3 sure losses against Tulane, SMUt and nUTSAck.

8 wins including Cal or Memphis would be a good sign. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

8 wins including Cal or Memphis would be a good sign. 

I can get on board with this and your last comment, especially the part about not bombing big games. If we can do that then I’ll think we’re on the right trajectory in a legit conference

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2023 at 4:54 PM, GrayEagle said:

There are 14 members of the American Athletic Conference.  That leaves 13 to be played.  If we have a 4-4 record that's 8.  FAU, ECU and us add 3 which totals 11.  There must be 3 more that we don't play.

South Florida, Rice, and Charlotte.

• Upvote 1