Wyoming, North Texas add two games to future football series

meangreen11

8 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Really, I would go for that series.

Of course; we all would.  But it's not going to happen anytime soon, so we're forced to live within reality here.

9 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I assume you realize that there are a great number of schools that are not perennial powers that are closer and would bring as many fans as Wyoming to Denton.  A few examples, Ark St, ULL, La Tech, WKU, Tx St, Incardent Word, ULM, New Mexico, New Mexico St, UTEP, etc.  Not to mention that I would predict less than NT 500 fans would make the trip to Wyoming. 

How many opposing fans your opponent brings is not the key consideration in whom you want to schedule for a home game.  Far above that is how many of your own fans that game will bring.  And I imagine Wyoming would be a bigger draw for UNT students and alumni, as well as for the Denton community, than most of the opponents you mentioned.

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, NT93 said:

Please re-read my response.  I didn’t say Wyoming had great name recognition, only that it’s better than most other OOC opponents who have visited Denton in the past 30 years.  I also ended by saying it was a sad but true statement.  That being said, Wyoming moves the needle more on a national level than North Texas.  If for no other reason than one of the best QB’s in the NFL played there a few years ago.

I also never said it was a great series, but I certainly think we’ve done much worse over the last 30 years.  Like it or not, Wyoming is a peer institution (though they would probably disagree).

I’m already typing so I may as well address the “.500 club over the last 3 years.”  This kind of proves the point that they’re a peer institution, even though their .500 record has been achieved playing in a better conference.

I stand corrected, I don't disagree with any of your above points.  However, I still don't know why NT can't get a more regional opponent.  Maybe without the name recognition, but also without the cost.  I don't think Wyoming is going to significantly outdraw more regional opponents. 

One great thing about going to Wyoming, would be to work in a few days at the Jackson Hole, Yellowstone area.   Wonderful place to visit.   

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Really, I would go for that series.

I assume you realize that there are a great number of schools that are not perennial powers that are closer and would bring as many fans as Wyoming to Denton.  A few examples, Ark St, ULL, La Tech, WKU, Tx St, Incardent Word, ULM, New Mexico, New Mexico St, UTEP, etc.  Not to mention that I would predict less than NT 500 fans would make the trip to Wyoming. 

I would go for a home and away series with Wyoming, but scheduling 4 games series is a bit much.  I assume that there is a problem getting oc games or neither team would want a 4 game series.  

Please see the post above yours explaining the need to fill OOC games in 2024 due to losing SMUt and Memphis. There are not a lot of options at this point, so we have an additional series with a peer program. That’s a good job on the part of the AD. 
How many fans come from the other program is irrelevant and small-time thinking. We need to attract our own students, alumni, and locals.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Texas Stranger said:

We were desperate for a home OOC game next year (due to realignment taking away Memphis and SMU from the OOC schedule) with very few teams still with available dates next year.  The return trip is pushed out to 2030, very convenient for us.  

It looks like Wyoming was originally scheduled to play NMSU on that date, and NMSU had to rearrange to accommodate their future CUSA schedules, making the date available.  Good job Jared (and UW AD) for jumping on it to make it happen on short notice.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

On 7/18/2023 at 3:37 PM, cousin oliver said:

I get that but what are we getting out of it?  Seems like Wyoming gets a lot.  They sure will not bring any fans to our stadium.  I feel like we need to get a little more demanding in our expectations.

We will have the opportunity to see up close and personal the ugliest combination of brown and yellow uniforms in college football. They look like something someone vomited on shortly after eating a hot dog with way too much mustard.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

On 7/18/2023 at 4:05 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

They don't need our home-and-home for any Texas exposure anyways.

And that makes scheduling them more a head scratcher for me.  On paper looking at the resources at our disposal we should win.  And if we don't it doesn't mean much because most years they aren't going to a bowl game or ending the season ranked in the top 25.  Wyoming is one of the least desirable team in the MWC to have a four game series with.  San Jose State is easier to get to with almost guaranteed better weather.   The only MWC team that probably worse to have a home and home with is Utah State.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

On 7/19/2023 at 12:17 PM, 97and03 said:

How many fans come from the other program is irrelevant and small-time thinking. We need to attract our own students, alumni, and locals.

I agree but Wyoming isn't a team our own students, alumni, and locals want to see.  Often the same school our fans want to see are the same ones that bring fans of their own. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, Cooke County Kid said:

Personally, I believe Wyoming is a bigger draw than FIU or S Alabama.  Just think a few years ago we were playing McNeese and Northwestern State and now we are complaining about playing a good mid-major in Wyoming. My how times are changing!

Agree.  Our fans can get kind of greedy!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

Wrong.  I would much rather see us play Wyoming (or any FBS program), than SFA, ACU or any local FCS program.   

That is just your personal preference.  If it is between having an extra home game and still only playing one FCS game a year I take SFA or Sam Houston every time.  I never want to play ACU, Incarnate Word, and only tolerate Texas Southern for the novelty of the band.   There are plenty of G5 schools that aren't worth scheduling.  Especially those teetering on dropping down to FCS.  Idaho did it so Wyoming doing it with a state with very similar demographics wouldn't be surprising.  

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

17 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Especially those teetering on dropping down to FCS.  Idaho did it so Wyoming doing it with a state with very similar demographics wouldn't be surprising.  

Now you're making crap up.  Nebraska has "similar demographics" to Idaho--are they teetering on dropping down to FCS?  Wyoming is a consistently solid MWC team.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Pissed 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

That is just your personal preference.  If it is between having an extra home game and still only playing one FCS game a year I take SFA or Sam Houston every time.  I never want to play ACU, Incarnate Word, and only tolerate Texas Southern for the novelty of the band.   There are plenty of G5 schools that aren't worth scheduling.  Especially those teetering on dropping down to FCS.  Idaho did it so Wyoming doing it with a state with very similar demographics wouldn't be surprising.  

That is just your personal preference.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Wyoming isn’t going down. They are who they are and love it. True mountain grit state. They have a fierce rivalry with Colorado State which I am confident they would maintain if CSU ever jumped to the AAC.

They will be like WKU in CUSA, a strong MWC program after the MWC transforms. 

GMG

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Especially those teetering on dropping down to FCS.  Idaho did it so Wyoming doing it with a state with very similar demographics wouldn't be surprising.  

You know they draw better than us, right? Had the fifth pick in the draft? Have been in a better conference than us since…forever? The better comparison to Idaho is us, not Wyoming. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1

It blows my mind that some of you think UNT is the superior team in this series.  I’d be willing to bet on a national level, a random poll would show 80% of people think more highly of Wyoming than UNT.

I hope that changes in the next few years, but right now that’s the truth.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, meanrob said:

You know they draw better than us, right? Had the fifth pick in the draft? Have been in a better conference than us since…forever? The better comparison to Idaho is us, not Wyoming. 

The only people bagging on this series are the unserious posters. Take my advice and just block them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

The only people bagging on this series are the unserious posters. Take my advice and just block them. 

Not in the habit of blocking people. Even people whose opinions I don’t agree with I could probably have a pre game beer with. Lord knows I have some unpopular opinions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

Not in the habit of blocking people. Even people whose opinions I don’t agree with I could probably have a pre game beer with. Lord knows I have some unpopular opinions. 

I am pretty selective with that here bc we are all theoretically fans. But obviously CougarQueef is on my block list and a handful of the most insane posters here that always post the most ridiculous takes. They just aren’t worth my time or attention. It is probably only four people but a certain Brady Bunch reference is joining soon. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I am pretty selective with that here bc we are all theoretically fans. But obviously CougarQueef is on my block list and a handful of the most insane posters here that always post the most ridiculous takes. They just aren’t worth my time or attention. It is probably only four people but a certain Brady Bunch reference is joining soon. 

Still want to know if dannymacfan, jonnyeagle, cousin Oliver and Harry have ever been seen at the same time 🙂

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Now you're making crap up.  Nebraska has "similar demographics" to Idaho--are they teetering on dropping down to FCS?  Wyoming is a consistently solid MWC team.

The claim that I am making stuff up is utter BS?  You don't agree with the comparison, I will explain.   You so stuck on FBS being so much better than any FCS team.  Let's look up Wyoming last matchup with a FCS team near them.  They beat down Montana State 19-16 in 2021.  They would go on to be 2-6 in MWC and 7-6.  And there performance on the field doesn't erase that they only have a small natural market with the state population being around 580k.   The University of Idaho shares that challenge Wyoming as in Idaho, Boise State dominates their state's lastest market in the state.  The population of Larmie and Moscow are both under 50k.  So I compared them for a reason.  (BTW Nebraska state population is almost 2 million with Lincoln over 290k so much for making up crap).

The fact is that there is little perceived difference between a medicore G5 school in a small town 6 hours away by plane and a well known former Southland Conference rival to casual fans.  I take a 7th home game 10 times out 10 if I believe fans want to see that team.   And it financially stupid not to do so for a mediocre G5 program you ideally never want in your conference from a geographic perspective. 

And with their geographic challenges Wyoming going FCS within the next decade isn't far fetched at all with the financial instability of all but the top 30 revenue producing programs.  Wyoming is a middle of the pack MWC school..... 

- No conference championships this century

- They are below 0.500 all time

-Last division title 2016 and before that the last one was 1993

- Their biggest claim to fame this century is Josh Allen upper tier NFL starting QB that got them that division title

-Current power ranking 114 

But it isn't about us being "better" than Wyoming.   It about games adding to the bottom line income for the program without sacrificing too much.  I really didn't want to crush Wyoming but conversations ignoring the reality that the gap between mediocre/bad G5 program and top FCS teams is minimal.  I rely on the facts.  We should be well aware of that with our own history.  Winning against teams people want to see is the most important thing.   The attendance at our last 2 bowl games shouldn't make that hard to accept.  

So Wyoming being a "great" fill-in is debatable at best.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

53 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

The claim that I am making stuff up is utter BS?  You don't agree with the comparison, I will explain.   You so stuck on FBS being so much better than any FCS team.  Let's look up Wyoming last matchup with a FCS team near them.  They beat down Montana State 19-16 in 2021.  They would go on to be 2-6 in MWC and 7-6.  And there performance on the field doesn't erase that they only have a small natural market with the state population being around 580k.   The University of Idaho shares that challenge Wyoming as in Idaho, Boise State dominates their state's lastest market in the state.  The population of Larmie and Moscow are both under 50k.  So I compared them for a reason.  (BTW Nebraska state population is almost 2 million with Lincoln over 290k so much for making up crap).

The fact is that there is little perceived difference between a medicore G5 school in a small town 6 hours away by plane and a well known former Southland Conference rival to casual fans.  I take a 7th home game 10 times out 10 if I believe fans want to see that team.   And it financially stupid not to do so for a mediocre G5 program you ideally never want in your conference from a geographic perspective. 

And with their geographic challenges Wyoming going FCS within the next decade isn't far fetched at all with the financial instability of all but the top 30 revenue producing programs.  Wyoming is a middle of the pack MWC school..... 

- No conference championships this century

- They are below 0.500 all time

-Last division title 2016 and before that the last one was 1993

- Their biggest claim to fame this century is Josh Allen upper tier NFL starting QB that got them that division title

I really didn't want to crush Wyoming but conversations ignoring the reality that the gap between mediocre/bad G5 program and top FCS teams is minimal.  We should be well aware of that with our own history.  Winning against teams people want to see is the most important thing.   The attendance at our last 2 bowl games shouldn't make that hard to accept.  

So Wyoming being a "great" fill-in is debatable at best.  

I think there's a bit of generational bias in your statements here.  You're stating them as obvious facts, but I'm skeptical.

Those Southland Conference foes are going to be familiar to older fans.  Hell, I'm mid-forties and couldn't name them.  I doubt it has the same impression as anyone 19-30 years old.  They grew up in the BCS era, an era of where casual fans are thinking the entirety of CFB is P5/G5.  Anything beyond that, like FCS or old Southland foes, are only going to come up if they live in a household with Southland alumni, or if their boss at work is one of those guys that still thinks we're NTSU.

Edited by greenminer

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think there's a bit of generational bias in your statements here.  You're stating them as obvious facts, but I'm skeptical.

Maybe, but I don't remember the Southland conference myself.  So I probably should have referenced the Southland.  Because I am only interested in SFA and Sam Houston. I mention SFA and Sam Houston specifically because they are the schools I am familiar with as universities first and football programs second.  They also have been successful at FCS.  And my contention was never a 1 for 1 swap.  Ideally I never want an FCS game unless it is an extra home game for that season.  Wyoming just isn't a great fill in because the only good box they check (besides being FBS) is being a state flagship university with a simple name.  There are just a lot better options out there to hastily extend a series with Wyoming.  Even a game with Texas State would be better attended and they are FBS.   Realignment isn't done so I suspect more OOC scheduling opportunities will pop up before 2026.

• Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I like TxState, too.

I don't mind Wyoming.  I think they're winnable and we rarely play them.  In the grand scheme of, say, a 10 year scheduling cycle, my ideal rotation would include a few regulars (regional, like TxState), but leave room for the occasional wild cards.  Teams we rarely play, like Wisconsin or Wyoming.

• Puking Eagle 1