Breaking News: Jyaire Shorter and Larry Nixon Both Enter Transfer Portal

Uncle

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Everything is changed. Rooting has changed. Can’t get connected to any player anymore. I loved my boys when they were little saying “Mason Fine is the best QB ever” and I loved Patrick Cobbs and Booger Kennedy and had a connection to them. 

Those days are gone. I can’t even follow recruiting anymore. What difference does it make. 

When the first game happens in early September, I’ll root for the 22 out there in our uniform. Who cares who the individuals are. it goes both ways. Shorter, Nixon…..I can’t really care about you as people. I mean I hope you find what you’re looking for. But don’t care about you….anymore than I care for any other college player that plays anywhere but Denton.  I root for North Texas. 

kind of sad but that’s where we are. Gotta adjust what it means to be a fan. 

Agree.  This is the key to more attendance also....support the School!   Cheer the team, and individual players on performance, but if they leave, replace them and forget them!  Coaches, players and administrators come and go, but us fans are staying here, NO NIL NEEDED!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Y'all are crazy. You should be benefiting from the easy transfers far more than you are losing, even without a strong NIL program. There are a billion players sitting #2 on the depth chart at better programs who will transfer to get playing time.  Go look at the portal history of the best G5 programs. And most of them don't have more NIL available than you should be able to pull together. 

That is the problem.  Players used to sit, work hard, learn, and move up the depth chart with time and more experience.   Not anymore.  No patience.  They all want instant starter status.  

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, NT80 said:

That is the problem.  Players used to sit, work hard, learn, and move up the depth chart with time and more experience.   Not anymore.  No patience.  They all want instant starter status.  

The motto for this generation seems to be 

whats-in-it-for-me-peter.gif

It seems not that long ago, getting an education was the primary focus for most as the overwhelming majority will never play beyond college. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 6

On 4/30/2023 at 4:24 PM, southsideguy said:

I think this year will be a disaster for us. we are losing key players.  I dont hear a lot of players coming here. Those were two of starters from last year.

We have definitely NOT replaced the production we have lost. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I get it, but I’m not too worried.

New staff, new offense, new QB, new defense….there’s an entire summer/fall to figure it out. Our depth might be an issue, but it is what it is.  I’d welcome them back, but I also wish them the best should they not choose to return. Next man up. 

• Upvote 4

Honestly, I’m not sure how much the Morris offense is going to be like the Leach Air Raid, but part of the beauty of the Leach Air Raid is that it tends to put up huge passing stats no matter who the receivers are. I’m not that worried about losing Shorter. I expect the passing game to get their stats and score points either way.

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 4

I'd like to amend my season record prediction....

I know this is going on at every other school, but I don't really care about every other school.  I'm sure it's just the green eye glasses, but seems like the exodus is hitting UNT hard this year.  At this rate, we'll be counting heavily on true freshman and walk-ons for our first year in The American.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Gone:

Shorter, Nixon, Jackson, Gunnell, Johnson, Gumms, Robertson, Lyles, Gaddie, Neville, Landis, Roberts, LeBlanc and Alberding

Of those above, Shorter, Nixon, Gumms, Robertson, Gaddie, Roberts and Alberding were starters.  Shorter, Gumms, Robertson and Roberts were all-conference level, maybe Gaddie.  Honestly, the ones that hurt the most, IMHO, are Robertson, Gaddie, Alberding and Nixon, in that order.  The remainder rarely, if ever, saw the field and one was a walk-on.

Arrived:

Rauschenberg, Cleveland, Miner, Hill, Moore, Vaipulu, Rogers and Yougblood.

I expect all to contribute, many to start and all to be on the two-deep.  We still have spots to fill.

The sky isn't falling.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

52 minutes ago, keith said:

I'd like to amend my season record prediction....

I know this is going on at every other school, but I don't really care about every other school.  I'm sure it's just the green eye glasses, but seems like the exodus is hitting UNT hard this year.  At this rate, we'll be counting heavily on true freshman and walk-ons for our first year in The American.

Yes this team went from being middle of the road to bottom of the conference now sadly.

We have done a good job on recruiting, better than ever before.  But I worry that while we have done better in that area we left our backside open to mass portal migration. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

18 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Is there not a chance that we still good with portal options coming available after spring training?  Seems like a lot of good players are bolting now that spring training is wrapping up.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

Is there not a chance that we still good with portal options coming available after spring training?  Seems like a lot of good players are bolting now that spring training is wrapping up.

Won't the coaching be an improvement?

• Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

7 hours ago, untphd said:

Won't the coaching be an improvement?

We won’t know until the games are played. Todd Dodge was a breath of fresh air after his first spring game and we all know how that ultimately turned out.

Check the thread.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

WE recruit high school players develop them and if they are good them seem to leave us.  The is one of the problem with high school players.

This starts the transfer cycle, and then HS coaches and players complain that they are getting overlooked in the recruiting cycle because of the transfers. Perhaps if more stayed, more would be recruited.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This starts the transfer cycle, and then HS coaches and players complain that they are getting overlooked in the recruiting cycle because of the transfers. Perhaps if more stayed, more would be recruited.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Many here have envied the Arkansas State’s and Boise State’s of the world as being stair steps for successful head coaches, what if we could be that for both players and coaches? If we could win the AAC every year while still having the retention of a JUCO, would that be acceptable to most? It would be acceptable to me. My loyalty is to the program, not the player.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, southsideguy said:

WE recruit high school players develop them and if they are good them seem to leave us.  The is one of the problem with high school players.

The answer is don't recruit high school players.   Recruit young portal players instead.  They will have used their one no-sit transfer to us and then won't leave as easily.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, NT80 said:

The answer is don't recruit high school players.   Recruit young portal players instead.  They will have used their one no-sit transfer to us and then won't leave as easily.

Except for when they do the grad transfer thing.

• Upvote 2

On 4/30/2023 at 7:23 PM, Jonnyeagle said:

This constant sense of loss is deeply saddening and demoralizing to our fanbase.  

Drama Queen Fainting GIF by Skrz.cz

On 4/30/2023 at 3:24 PM, southsideguy said:

I think this year will be a disaster for us. we are losing key players.  I dont hear a lot of players coming here. Those were two of starters from last year.

We pick up the WR Cleveland, couple of P5 OL's, some good DB's etc...  We signed a lot earlier in the process and will now need to be patient and ensure we are using our remaining scholarships wisely.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we will be fine defensively. There were a lot of guys rotating and Mazin wasn't available all spring. The front 6 will be active. In my opinion finding a 2-gap nose guard in the portal would make the most impact. Without that skill set, you need to blitz or compress space more to be gap sound.  

• Thanks 1