Breaking News: Jyaire Shorter and Larry Nixon Both Enter Transfer Portal

Uncle

38 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

You can't have a timid leadership and make the bold moves necessary to get alumni to buy in.  Seem we have leadership expecting the program to win in spite the avoidable challenges they encounter here. ( I think Coach Dickey would passionately concur with that statement ).   Coach Fry left because some of the challenges here were beyond the capability of the school to change.  Apogee Staduim 10 years late minimum and now the leadership is repeating that with the Superpit.  Just think if the new basketball coach keeps the momentum going just to get hired away with a arena or massively upgraded Superpit still on the drawing board.  Coach Dickey's peak was the 2002 season and ground broke for Apogee's Contruction 2009.  I thought RV leaving would have alleviated a lot of this but Seth's retention for 2002 was very reminiscent of an RV move.  That just confirms to me that we have a deeper university sports culture problem that infects and limits an AD decision process.  Like I have mention before even a public courting of Coach Sanders would have be the best advertisement for the football program trying 100% than even Apogee Staduim.  (Even with Apogee they had to wisely had to opt for a 30k stadium instead of one with 40k plus that would be in line with the aspirations)

What timid leadership are you referring to? I feel like firing a coach the day after a conference championship was pretty bold. Moving to arguablly the best g5 conference in the country. Check. Working very aggressivily to get funds to break ground on state of the art athletic center. check. Basketball Gym up next if not before. Rome wasnt built in a day. And you cant right blank checks.  Judging an AD 6 months on the job over what a university has done the last 5 decades is not fair. 

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Ok, cool. 

What if you don't? What if you bounce after a year or 2 and that becomes the norm as it's trending that way. What is going to be the 'come and play your butt off and get a degree' type of excuse for that? Better get them excuses ready and primed. 

My thoughts, i don't know how we choose to give a single dime to a single kid/player. If we're paying X football player that means there's a market out there for that kid. And given the rules, he's going to explore that market. 

Put. Money. Into. Basketball. 

You cannot justify putting, as a have not financially insecure university, putting money into football. There is never going to be a consistent ROI. It's a waste. 

Again... Basketball is the way.  

So should G5 coaches stop recruiting HS players? Getting sick of HS coaches bitching about how their players are getting hurt/underrecruited because of the portal, and it's many of those same "in it or me" players who will jump ship. I will say with every passing total window. I am increasingly in favor of coaches being able to cut players. They should have two weeks after the season in the fall or once the portal opens in the spring to make cuts.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

It is funny that professional sports has way more roster stability than the NCAA right now. 

I don’t think the transfer portal is sustainable or good for the game. The transfer portal is even hurting schools like Notre Dame and Texas.

These are the rules for now though. Better take advantage and do a better job feeding off the schools under us. 

It is becoming more and more about what I can get for myself. To hell with the "team." I believe the provable straw will eventually break the camel's back. IMO, the big-money schools cannot break away fast enough.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This time 1000!!! If you sign come get your degree and play your butt off. Then head off to the next chapter. No hard feelings. Hate seeing them go as a fan. But like Brammer last year they lived up to there end of the bargain. But as far as Gumms, Roberton (Jake and Cam) you came to North Texas because it was your best offer. You have one good season then jump ship.. kick rocks. 

yet plenty of folks on here want to shit on perry for leaving....even after graduating and playin at his dream school.

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So should G5 coaches stop recruiting HS players? Getting sick of HS coaches bitching about how their players are getting hurt/underrecruited because of the portal, and it's many of those same "in it or me" players who will jump ship. I will say with every passing total window. I am increasingly in favor of coaches being able to cut players. They should have two weeks after the season in the fall or once the portal opens in the spring to make cuts.

I'm curious what retention stats show for our high school recruits.  How many stay for the duration of their entire college career?  Is it trending down because of the portal?  If I'm the HC I may be portal shopping more for redshirt freshman or sophomores, just because the one-time portal usage would be over.  

• Upvote 1

Left unabated, NIL will end any interest in college sports for the majority of the fans.

Stating that college sports has always been crooked is true, but this (everything to the highest bidder) will result in a small group of NCAA pro teams.  

Hopefully the NCAA  will curtail NIL with some reasonable limits.  

Unless, that happens: the majority of the teams will be forced into a more amateur  model of competition. 

Most teams like NT are far from making money from any sport.  They are basically subsidized by the current students.   At some point, this model will undoubtedly crater. 

Look for another lawsuit with some student group suing a school for making them pay athletic fees and tuition that fund college sports.   The vast majority of college students do not support college athletics.   Why should they pay for games they don't even go to?  

Now add the fact that the students payments are paying for room, board, etc. for players making thousands of dollars playing college games, and it gets even more unbearable.     

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, THOR said:

yet plenty of folks on here want to shit on perry for leaving....even after graduating and playin at his dream school.

The portal has changed the way I feel about players leaving. When it first came out, it looked to be a good way for players who were not getting opportunities to move on. Now thanks to NIL, it become a shit show. If the player has graduated and moved on, it's no different than the Grad transfer rule already in place. I wish they would stay, but they put in their time. For players who are getting the playing time and have undergraduate eligibility left, If you choose to go, I don't hope they fail, but why should I hope they do well? UNT was my only connection to them, and they chose to walk away. Two other comments surrounding players and transferring -

1) We bitch about tampering, but it takes two sides. If these players are old enough to make these decisions, they should also be called out for cheating.

2) I now favor coaches having the option to cut players at their discretion. Provide two windows a year and allow coaches to make cuts.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I'm curious what retention stats show for our high school recruits.  How many stay for the duration of their entire college career?  Is it trending down because of the portal?  If I'm the HC I may be portal shopping more for redshirt freshman or sophomores, just because the one-time portal usage would be over.  

I'm unsure if/how some of these players, especially BB, where it seems common to play at three or more schools, are ever getting their degrees. Hopefully, some sports journalists will start diving into this and the impact of the changes. At least for now, it seems no one is willing to dig in on tampering, perhaps for fear of getting blacklisted. It's almost as if giving away business or military secrets is safer than discussing tampering. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Both were money from what I am hearing. Shorter had been getting offers early. Nixon has a son so I think thats why he wanted to go see what money was out there. 

Shorter has his degree and by many comments on here in the past, we should wish him well because of this. 
Nixon makes too many mistakes and hasn’t exhibited the leadership in the past that they need now. If he has a son, he should be focusing on school and post graduate work as he isn’t NFL ready. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I hate losing Shorter but I think he was completely underutilized here so I don’t blame him. I really would have loved to have seen him in this offense.  Oh, and I hate the portal and the new pay for being on our roster era. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

What timid leadership are you referring to? I feel like firing a coach the day after a conference championship was pretty bold. Moving to arguablly the best g5 conference in the country. Check. Working very aggressivily to get funds to break ground on state of the art athletic center. check. Basketball Gym up next if not before. Rome wasnt built in a day. And you cant right blank checks.  Judging an AD 6 months on the job over what a university has done the last 5 decades is not fair. 

I am not judging the newest AD.   And firing a below 0.500 against FBS isn't bold at all.  It was actually 10 months late.   And he was actually extended twice with NOTHING in the football trophy case. (That wasn't the current AD's call back then because he wasn't the AD).   Everything you mentioned is LATE.  They've been building/rebuilding our Rome for since they fired Dickey.  And unfortunately some really loyal and great supporters have passed away in the following 16 years just hoping for ONE season with a conference championship and bowl win.   Those aren't lofty goals.  I judge this way because it is the logical perception from the the outside that I confront when trying to get friends and family to come to games.  I would love if we had the resources to do a top notch survey of our football program's perception locally.  I think some of us on this board live in a bubble.  If this program had been successful we would be in legitimate Pac 12 expansion rumors instead of, or a long with SMU.   Sorry that is the truth and the truth is just pathetic.  I wish the new AD all the success in the world but the timing of this recent coach transition is another avoidable challenge that pisses me off. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

A lot to digest here. 

1. Football is king. A bad football team makes more money than a good basketball team. 

2. This is the type mind set that got us sent down to AA the last time and set our football program back 30 years. 

3. The game of college football is constenly changes. You have to be able to adapt. Just because there is a NIL doesn't mean to throw in towel. North Texas has the alumni and resources to be a G5 powerhouse.

4. No way to field a quality team? There is no reason why North Texas shouldn't be able to be a top 5 team year in and year out in the American. 

I'll hang up and listen. 

1. I don't care what king is. We, at UNT, do not generate revenue with our king, queen, pawn, rook, bishop, etc. That means nothing to me. Athletics mission is to provide a POSITIVE alignment to our university while creating a bond between students. There isn't much positive going on given the rules. We could bring in STUDS in this '24 recruiting class. If they get enough tape, they'll be plucked away to the highest bidder as soon as possible. We don't have the means to keep a core group of 30 players financially satisfied to stick their commitment out here at UNT. That's, generally speaking, the root of the problem. We, like almost if not all 'G5' programs, are now feeder programs into 'P5' programs. They pluck all the top g5 players while the fallouts fall into the g5. 

2. Type of mindset? I'm not asking or advocating for a drop in divisions. Not in the least. 

3. There is no form of adaptation that is going to muscle UNT into collegiate football relevance. None. Due to these rules, the gap is visibly widening and nutless cosches say nothing because they hope they are one day holding ______ job at _______ school. We do not have the city, student, alum, faculty support to be a powerhouse in football. It takes ALL hands on deck to climb that mountain and maintain. There are multiple handfuls of g5 programs with all that support, today. 

4. You're right, therr is no reason to be a top 5 G5 conference school. But that bar is set so low. We're #5! We're #5! We're #5! I mean, that's quality... I guess. 

Look man, I appreciate you doing what you're doing. I really do. I follow you on twitter and read your tidbits. But football ain't it anymore. And the longer these rules stay in place the further away fans will get pushed. Like, why would I give a dime to the Light The Tower Collective? I want to give money. I really do. It's burning a hole in my pocket and me and mine are great and don't need it. But with the current philosphy of spreading out the money and not knowing who's dealing it and most importantly giving my money to a kid that's going to jump ship next year for a bigger cut elsewhere. I don't see the incentive in it, as there is none. 

But if a collective group of people formed together and dumped money, significant amounts, into a slush for the basketball program then I'm interested. Play the game within the set of rules and get  a couple studs in here that will stay here because they're being comoensated. Then surround them with lightly lower level players and compensate them well, too. And boom, you have another 25+ win team for consecutive years all the while having a positive platform for our university. 

I will attend football games when I'm able, but I will not give. The upside is zero. Let's go dictate 'P5' programs to magically call us a stand-alone 'P5' program by beating their lips off, a la Gonzaga. 

Otherwise, there's no vision here. Just a bunch of non-alum working in our AD collecting paychecks until their big payday comes, a la Wren Baker.  And damn, I didn't mean for this post to carry on so long. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 5

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think HS players might actually be a gold mine for the time being. Everyone is so enamored with the portal, HS kids are just getting turned into spectators. 

I'm in favor of 1 rule being reinstated, 1 year sit rule.  Some regulation on NIL would be great, but that ship has failed I'm afraid. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I'm in favor of 1 rule being reinstated, 1 year sit rule.  Some regulation on NIL would be great, but that ship has failed I'm afraid. 

I would have liked to see the no-sit unavailable until after two years unless the Head Coach left. Also not a fan of a player using their "no-sit," transferring, and then the next year transferring with another "no-st" as a Grad Transfer (3 schools in 3 years)

• Upvote 2

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

I would have liked to see the no-sit unavailable until after two years unless the Head Coach left. Also not a fan of a player using their "no-sit," transferring, and then the next year transferring with another "no-st" as a Grad Transfer (3 schools in 3 years)

I think it's all BS. Transfer then you sit. It needs to be dramatically cleaned up. I think the dust settles with this rule being full back, and settles quickly. 

• Upvote 2

@NorthTexasWeLove, what if part of the pitch to get players like Brandon Jones out of SOC is to remind them that they can always transfer to a P5 later but they have a better chance of playing if they come here first? 

Would you rather have a P5 caliber player for 2 years and have him transfer or a serviceable G5 player for 4? Seriously, I want to know which you would lean to. Personally I’ll take the 2-year P5 guys that may never entertain the idea of playing for us otherwise.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I’m all for it. If they want to get paid and act like they are so important than allow cuts at any time…. Lose scholarships…. Lose NIL…. These players and the parents/coaches that get in their head is getting out of control. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

@NorthTexasWeLove, what if part of the pitch to get players like Brandon Jones out of SOC is to remind them that they can always transfer to a P5 later but they have a better chance of playing if they come here first? 

Would you rather have a P5 caliber player for 2 years and have him transfer or a serviceable G5 player for 4? Seriously, I want to know which you would lean to. Personally I’ll take the 2-year P5 guys that may never entertain the idea of playing for us otherwise.

I really hope we're not selling our program as a JUCO 2-year type product.

But I would rather have a bunch of salty 4-year kids ready to knock heads. The reason is simple, sustainability. It's great to land those type of players, but  building a program off the back of known future transfers implies that the progran will ALWAYS land that quality every recruiting cycle. That's not sustainable or realistic, and that sets up the program for mass turnover year over year in an era of already turnover. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I’m all for it. If they want to get paid and act like they are so important than allow cuts at any time…. Lose scholarships…. Lose NIL…. These players and the parents/coaches that get in their head is getting out of control. 

Only a handful or 2 of programs offer 4-year scholarships. So, most programs offer 1- year rides that are renewed. Sometimes they are not. Cuts have been built-in for years. Schools don't always use that tool to their advantage, but given the climate in collegiate athletics I suspect programs to start exercising that right as it will no longer reallt impact future recruiting. 

13 hours ago, THOR said:

Just caught this little nugget... 

Players that are legitimately playing at their dream school don't leave, period. I'm not sure how one would be so gullible to take that at face value then repeat it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

26 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Just caught this little nugget... 

Players that are legitimately playing at their dream school don't leave, period. I'm not sure how one would be so gullible to take that at face value then repeat it. 

Yeah, pre NIL. Unfortunately, college athletics is now a business. We are a small fish in a big bond when it comes to dollars and cents. Until we get proper funding from boosters/outside organizations, this will continue to happen. Let's enjoy the players we have, hope they are developed, and win some ball games. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Yeah, pre NIL. Unfortunately, college athletics is now a business. We are a small fish in a big bond when it comes to dollars and cents. Until we get proper funding from boosters/outside organizations, this will continue to happen. Let's enjoy the players we have, hope they are developed, and win some ball games. 

I would love to get in on that sentiment at the end there. I can't.  It comes off as blindly getting in line and hoping for the best. That's the vision that has led us to this very point of middling, under-supported and under-funded athletics. We are who we are, that isn't changing. Sure, good will come and bad will reappear. But middling will always be the mean. We are the epitome of average. We compensate our 9-3 (our ceiling btw) seasons with 3-9 seasons and 4-8 to our 8-4 and so forth and so on. I would gladly trade our 9-3 ceiling in football for a 6-6 ceiling if we had a dominant ever-improving basketball program. It's fiscally realistic if the vision is seen and a plan is put in place. What we cannot afford to do is continue being very average in football while letting our basketball slip back into mediocrity. Make no mistake, if measures aren't implemented yesterday to prevent it, it's exactly what's about to happen. 

And I don't mean to rant on this. But the inevitable is easy to see for me. We are a lowly funded football program and a lowly funded basketball program. Dollars drive success and the settling point will be at our funding level, always is. The simple math says we can't build and then sustain in football. The smart money is in basketball. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Businesses, for the most part, have rules that are in place. This has become a freaking unregulated mess. If players want the ability to come and go as they please, schools should have the ability to cut them loose. Also, a one-time transfer without sitting should mean just that, one time. Players transferring multiple times without sitting is crap.

• Schools should be obligated to the first two years. At the end of the second year, if the player commits to completing their eligibility at that school, their scholarship is covered until they complete their eligibility. If they do not commit, then from that point on, they can be cut at any time. The player has the ability to ensure their education is covered.
  • Players should have to complete two seasons before they can transfer without sitting out. If you want to transfer before that, you sit out.
  • If you are a Grad transfer and have already transferred without sitting out, you have to sit out.
  • If a coach is caught tampering, they should lose their on-the-field coaching ability for one year, off the field coaches out for one year.
  • Upvote 1