@ UTEP (2/18/2023)

greenminer

Who you got?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. North Texas @ UT-El Paso

• Mean Green
    • Miners

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/19/2023 at 02:30 AM

29 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Terrible reffing all around.

You could hear UTEP fans yelling at the refs. The TV announcers said they warned a fan that he would be thrown out if he did not stop his criticism. 

I remember one badly called game from a few years back when I yelled out "Those stripes should be horizontal" and immediately one of the refs looked up at my section. I wondered at the time if they have the authority to throw fans out.

• Upvote 5

I was so excited about the win it made me forget that this was the worst called game I've seen all year. Every home announcer is going to favor their team, but these guys were straight up homers. Whining about every call, I specifically remember the play where Ousmane and two UTEP guys fell going for the a rebound, and they were saying it was a foul. They showed the replay and the guy's own teammate hit him going down, but they still talked about Ousman fouling him. Oh and they were asking, "Why is that ref blowing his whistle. It seems suspicious that McCasland just talked to him and they get a foul."Knowing you are on a broadcast stream with both sets of fans watching have some gd integrity and dial it back a bit. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 5

26 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

You could hear UTEP fans yelling at the refs. The TV announcers said they warned a fan that he would be thrown out if he did not stop his criticism. 

I remember one badly called game from a few years back when I yelled out "Those stripes should be horizontal" and immediately one of the refs looked up at my section. I wondered at the time if they have the authority to throw fans out.

Yeah you could tell they were pretty riled up in the stands. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

I think they can have fans kicked out.  IIRC, they also have the authority to penalize the team for ugly fan behavior.

This is an ugly box that I think they want to avoid opening at all costs.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Can any of you basketball types explain why we let them roll the ball up the court almost to their 3 point line uncontested?

Because it's better to be set in your defensive scheme than try to contest the ball rolling in. Sending a player up to challenge the roll in, which would usually be the point guard, might stretch the court out and allow another one of their players to move up uncontested into the space they leave. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, greenminer said:

I haven't been thinking about trying to get the 1 seed.  I think it's wild to suggest this FAU team is going to lose the games we would need for that to happen.  I've just been hung up on holding serve at the 2.

I get it though: it would be nice to be opposite FAU and UAB.

I agree with you.  If MTSU hadn't pulled their huge upset over FAU, I'm not even thinking about that scenario. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Coach McCasland is the best thing to ever happen to to NT sports. (I say the same thing about Coach Bennett at Virginia - my 'second college' - and he got us a national championship.) What he and his teams are doing is absolutely amazing and I am very proud of wins like this one in old El Paso.

Someone giving you a minute by minute synopsis of Hayden Fry’s tenure in 3…2…1…

• Haha 5
  • Eye Roll 1

This team is different!  Like other GMac teams, it took them a few games to hit their stride, but they seem to have hit it.   Each player is finding their role and contributing. Even down 11, the deficit didn’t feel insurmountable.  Sissoko, Stone, and Jones were HUGE off the bench last night.  Great win!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Shark84 said:

We all know our only real chance is winning the conference tournament. Big conferences will always get the at large spots. It sucks but maybe going to the AAC will help. Just keep getting better.

Sure I get it. I’m not holding my breath but if you win out and lose in the conference championship, that puts you at 28-6. That’s about as strong as a season anyone could have envisioned.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

This team is different!  Like other GMac teams, it took them a few games to hit their stride, but they seem to have hit it.   Each player is finding their role and contributing. Even down 11, the deficit didn’t feel insurmountable.  Sissoko, Stone, and Jones were HUGE off the bench last night.  Great win!

I think the early season struggles were natural from all of the turnover from last year. Bell was a huge loss, you just don't find players like that very often. McBride was a great shooter and good for double digits almost every game, and Murray was a defensive wall. Jones is no longer starting this season, so you have 1 player returning in the starting line up in Ousmane. With so many changes it's going to take time to iron out the details. Most of it to me is learning Mac's system and the players learning each other's tendencies so they get comfortable playing together. 

I'm hoping next year we have a little more consistency as we should only be losing Eady from the starting lineup.  

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

I think the early season struggles were natural from all of the turnover from last year. Bell was a huge loss, you just don't find players like that very often. McBride was a great shooter and good for double digits almost every game, and Murray was a defensive wall. Jones is no longer starting this season, so you have 1 player returning in the starting line up in Ousmane. With so many changes it's going to take time to iron out the details. Most of it to me is learning Mac's system and the players learning each other's tendencies so they get comfortable playing together. 

I'm hoping next year we have a little more consistency as we should only be losing Eady from the starting lineup.  

Good points. As far as guys that have been contributing, I think we’re also losing Martinez. The rest of the team should be coming back, right?  I’m getting fired up just thinking about it!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Sure I get it. I’m not holding my breath but if you win out and lose in the conference championship, that puts you at 28-6. That’s about as strong as a season anyone could have envisioned.  

And already three more than last year's school record-breaking team.

If that isn't good enough for the Big Dance, this team has a shot for 30 wins if they go to the NIT.

10 hours ago, NT80 said:

You bet!  For those of you too young to be around for the Fry and Blakeley era in Athletics, you missed out!  It was exciting times at North Texas!  

Having Houston drop 137 on you was exciting?

Just poking fun a bit. I get it was exciting at the time but that doesn't mean it was any better than it is now. Both coaches had incredible turnarounds year 1. I wasn't here to see Blakeley but looking at win/loss records, it appears he flamed out after his first 3 seasons. McCasland's immediate turnaround of this program was incredible and to keep winning without a single down year through 6 seasons put him on a different level. He's the best basketball coach we've had so far. Over Blakeley and over Jones. Enjoy it while he's here.

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1

20 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

Good points. As far as guys that have been contributing, I think we’re also losing Martinez. The rest of the team should be coming back, right?  I’m getting fired up just thinking about it!

Grant is going to have to recruit the crap out of this years roster.  The portal will come knocking for Perry, Jones, and Abou for sure.  I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Stone seek an offer where he could get on the court more regularly.

Obviously, I don’t want to see anyone leave.  But we know Grant and Ross will both be in demand as well and if a coaching change were to occur, this could be a big transitional period for UNT hoops.  If this roster and staff is kept intact next year should be incredibly fun in the new conference!

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

14 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Having Houston drop 137 on you was exciting?

Just poking fun a bit. I get it was exciting at the time but that doesn't mean it was any better than it is now. Both coaches had incredible turnarounds year 1. I wasn't here to see Blakeley but looking at win/loss records, it appears he flamed out after his first 3 seasons. McCasland's immediate turnaround of this program was incredible and to keep winning without a single down year through 6 seasons put him on a different level. He's the best basketball coach we've had so far. Over Blakeley and over Jones. Enjoy it while he's here.

The original context was replying to the statement: "Coach McCasland is the best thing to ever happen to to NT sports."

In my opinion,  Coach Fry was the best thing to ever happen overall to NT sports.  But I can understand someone not being around then thinking McCasland is.  I never saw the Odus Mitchell era, but he was good too, for NT, so I'm told. 

McCasland is great also and we need to do everything we can to keep him!   I fear he may eventually leave for some of the same reasons Fry left NT....  attendance issues that are not a problem at a better-conference school, more National media attention for his program, and better access to postseason.   

Fry had an impact beyond just results in his sport.  As AD also, he affected change in all sport's from culture, to uniforms, marketing, and branding using "Mean Green" instead of Eagles for the first time.  He elevated the Athletic program to modern times.  The combo of him coaching football and Blakeley coaching basketball at the same time were magical years for this student back then!

• Upvote 1