Louisiana Tech (1/11/23)

CMJ

31 minutes ago, Venson said:

I swear it must be something in our heads to believe that LaTech will be in every game we play against them. We should have blasted them.

Over the last 4 season, in 9 meetings we have outscored La Tech by a combined total of 518-512. So the average score of our games against each other during those 9 games is 57.6 to 56.9.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, Venson said:

Why do I think that? Because we are supposed to be a defensive minded team and we had an 18 point lead. There is no way this game should have been this close after running out to an 18 point lead. Maybe I would not have thought this if the game was close the whole way. We basically shut MTSU down in the second half, but we let LaTech score 47 second half points. Yeah, we should have blown them out.

Another way to look at; you should've never had an 18-point lead against Tech. What you did against Middle has no bearing on Louisiana Tech. You think Tech was going to give up? Good game regardless. Hopefully the one in Ruston will be a barnburner too. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Manlaw35 said:

Another way to look at; you should've never had an 18-point lead against Tech. What you did against Middle has no bearing on Louisiana Tech. You think Tech was going to give up? Good game regardless. Hopefully the one in Ruston will be a barnburner too. 

Well, the reality is we did get out to that 18 point lead. To give up 47 in the second half is inexcusable. They almost scored as much as we allow in a whole game in the second half alone. 

Edited by Venson
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Venson said:

Well, the reality is we did get out to that 18 point lead. To give up 47 in the second half is inexcusable. They almost scored as much as we allow in a whole game in the second half alone. 

what specifically would you do differently?

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Censored by Laurie said:

what specifically would you do differently?

Play the defense like we always play. I don't know. I am not the head coach. My sport is T&F. I just feel like we should have won by more. At the end of the day, I am just a fan and hate close games. I will cheer North Texas on and invest money into the university until I die. Might even leave some money to them after I die, but my heart can't take these nail biters like it could when I was 20. LOL. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, Venson said:

Play the defense like we always play. I don't know. I am not the head coach. My sport is T&F. I just feel like we should have won by more. At the end of the day, I am just a fan and hate close games. I will cheer North Texas on and invest money into the university until I die. Might even leave some money to them after I die, but my heart can't take these nail biters like it could when I was 20. LOL. 

so some yoga, cutting down on red meat and a better work/life balance. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 3

3 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

so some yoga, cutting down on red meat and a better work/life balance. 

You might be right. Yoga might be what I need. Just never thought of myself doing Yoga. LOL. Wait. What? Am I really considering Yoga? I am losing my mind. I better get to drinking.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Venson said:

Why do students have to go to UNTtix just to get tickets to games? I remember all I had to do was just present my student ID to get into games. I wonder if that discourages students from going to games. I know they use their phones for everything, but it just seems like an unnecessary step to me when you are already paying for athletics through the athletics fee.

I believe around 2017/2018. I am one of the biggest proponents of physical tickets, having the ticket trailer back on campus, etc.

I got into the UTA game with my sister, who is student there. All she had to do was wave her ID to get in, as well as her free guest (me) in.

• Upvote 2

That shot feels kinda dirty as it feels like it shouldn't have been that close. How many teams have we played over the year and a half that put up big numbers on offense and we shut them down to their season low scoring output? Meanwhile LA Tech in the second half sped up the game better than any other team I've seen lately.

Wanted to cheer for the refs in the first half after they called like seven fouls combined on both teams. But then it appears they don't get their full game check if the game doesn't run the whole two hours, or maybe they receive commission for every foul call, but hard to keep a lead when your opponent gets to shoot free throws on every possession. I wouldn't care if UNT was the best foul shooting team in the nation. Nobody paid to see a free throw contest.

Also, Perry's last-second heaves are not falling like they did last year. Not only that, but a lot of the shots aren't even coming close.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I believe around 2017/2018. I am one of the biggest proponents of physical tickets, having the ticket trailer back on campus, etc.

I got into the UTA game with my sister, who is student there. All she had to do was wave her ID to get in, as well as her free guest (me) in.

So which is your preference right now? Physical tickets or some kind of digital scan?

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

So which is your preference right now? Physical tickets or some kind of digital scan?

Even a physical ticket gets scanned, doesn't it?  I think the issue (if there is one) is why add an extra step in the process for students?  Do students still have a physical student ID or is everything a student ID App these days?  Is there a barcode or QR code on either that could be scanned?  The only thing I can think of in terms of benefit associated with asking students to pre-claim tickets is it may give the AD an idea of expected attendance so they can staff the venue appropriately or some analytics around number of pre-claimed vs. number actually used.  Maybe there are some other benefits, but if it adds any friction to the process of getting students to attend, then it's probably not worth it IMHO.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Make it easy for the customer(students) to get into the game.  Have them show their student ID.

All of the above.  Let them in any way the want...app, physical ticket, student ID, wink and a smile.  Students shouldn't have to even think about what they might need to get into the place.

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Crowd is sad.

Next to score, attendance is the most popular stat for us it seems.  I put together our home game attendance last year and decided to track this year as well.  Here's what it looks like through the first 7 home games.  None of this tells the whole story (time/day of week, bad weather?, competing events, etc.), but so far, we are averaging an additional 232 in attendance over last year.  Hopefully, with the return of the student body we can improve on that increase as this really is a fun team to watch.  Games 14 and 15 last year were the two post-season games we had at home.

image.png.03754b0577a734e32c1da8b2e8bdef96.png

Edit...Included the full date/opponents for last year.  Overall, including the two post season, we averaged 3,849 for the year.

image.png.41f19025733396fd82b8cf886aba3c53.png

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, keith said:

Even a physical ticket gets scanned, doesn't it?  I think the issue (if there is one) is why add an extra step in the process for students?  Do students still have a physical student ID or is everything a student ID App these days?  Is there a barcode or QR code on either that could be scanned?  The only thing I can think of in terms of benefit associated with asking students to pre-claim tickets is it may give the AD an idea of expected attendance so they can staff the venue appropriately or some analytics around number of pre-claimed vs. number actually used.  Maybe there are some other benefits, but if it adds any friction to the process of getting students to attend, then it's probably not worth it IMHO.

The other benefit I can think of is the money/resources saved by not printing as many physical tickets.

8 hours ago, greenminer said:

I still prefer physical tickets overall. I keep every ticket stub from every sporting event or movie I go to. However, I have to use mostly digital scans now unless I want to pay a full $18/ticket at the box office.

They need to do that buy one get three free ticket promotion for every home game the rest of the season. It got more families and Denton people out to the games and they still spend money on concessions. The more people in the Pit, the better the atmosphere and game experience. If we continue to win then next year, with the AAC opponents coming in, we might be able to get good crowds without having to basically give tickets away. I would also have someone from the ticket office contact the season ticket holders that don't use their tickets and ask them if can't go to the game, to donate their seats back so that teachers, first responders, youth groups, ect could go to the games. It's embarrassing to see the white banners on the same seats every game. I'm sure they are probably not individuals but corporate seats. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

They need to do that buy one get three free ticket promotion for every home game the rest of the season. It got more families and Denton people out to the games and they still spend money on concessions. The more people in the Pit, the better the atmosphere and game experience. If we continue to win then next year, with the AAC opponents coming in, we might be able to get good crowds without having to basically give tickets away. I would also have someone from the ticket office contact the season ticket holders that don't use their tickets and ask them if can't go to the game, to donate their seats back so that teachers, first responders, youth groups, ect could go to the games. It's embarrassing to see the white banners on the same seats every game. I'm sure they are probably not individuals but corporate seats. 

Why not just reduce the ticket price 75% and call it a day? Also, if we're going to do that for every remaining game this season, should it still be considered a promotion?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Why not just reduce the ticket price 75% and call it a day? Also, if we're going to do that for every remaining game this season, should it still be considered a promotion?

Basketball tickets are inexpensive already.

22 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

I would also have someone from the ticket office contact the season ticket holders that don't use their tickets and ask them if can't go to the game, to donate their seats back so that teachers, first responders, youth groups, ect could go to the games. It's embarrassing to see the white banners on the same seats every game. I'm sure they are probably not individuals but corporate seats. 

Love this idea.

• Upvote 1