Breaking news -- UNT finalizing five-year deal with Eric Morris starting at $1.2 million annually

Brett Vito

3 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I’m deeply saddened by this news.  As per the usual, UNT tried to cheap out on things.  Pay this man what your last coach made and quit making excuses.  I would bet all the AD department will receive healthy raises so the coaching should as well.  #TYPICAL UNT

I guess when you purchase something that you always pay more than you have to.  That way you can worry more about financing everything else.  

If anything, NT is demonstrating it is not cheap, but willing to pay for hopefully top tier coaches. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I’m deeply saddened by this news.  As per the usual, UNT tried to cheap out on things.  Pay this man what your last coach made and quit making excuses.  I would bet all the AD department will receive healthy raises so the coaching should as well.  #TYPICAL UNT

Overpaying and wild optimism got us into the 2021-2022 striving to be mediocre dilemma.  That is saying something coming from me because I probably was the only one on this board seriously wanting UNT to make a huge public swing at getting Coach Sanders.   And I only wanted that because of Deion's HOF history, time with the last Dallas Cowboys team to win a championship, and brining 4 and 5 stars players with him day one.   You could have a billionaire dump $100 million into the program and not get kind of impact day one.   I believe the department learned its lesson with Seth.  You can't buy wins with a huge contract just ask Aggie right about now.  (Get ready to hear language that would make a seasoned combat veteran perk up if you do).  😜 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

It also appears that he may have increased staff salaries by serving as both Head Coach and  Offensive Coordinator; spreading what he would have paid that staff member among the remaining staff.  He also gave titles (and money) for the Assistant and Associate Head Coaches that were key hires for this staff.

• Upvote 3

For comparison, in 2020 UNT allotted $1,745,000 for their 10 assistant coaching positions (that salary pool was at the top of C-USA... and yes, I'm a nerd and keep stats on things like this). Having $2,400,000 for the 2023 staff represents a major increase in assistants' compensation. In 2023, UNT's assistants will be more in line with what our new peers in the AAC pay. 

Sure, Morris probably could have received a higher salary, but it is smart for him to spend that money on getting top notch assistants. If things go well and Morris wins AAC championships, then he will sign extensions for bigger paydays.

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

For comparison, in 2020 UNT allotted $1,745,000 for their 10 assistant coaching positions (that salary pool was at the top of C-USA... and yes, I'm a nerd and keep stats on things like this). Having $2,400,000 for the 2023 staff represents a major increase in assistants' compensation. In 2023, UNT's assistants will be more in line with what our new peers in the AAC pay. 

Sure, Morris probably could have received a higher salary, but it is smart for him to spend that money on getting top notch assistants. If things go well and Morris wins AAC championships, then he will sign extensions for bigger paydays.

I hope they also find a way to upgrade the off-the-field roles. We need to add more support staffing.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I'm sure the $1,100,000 for off the field staff is also an increase. 

I am hoping we increase our number analyst. From everything I have seen these positions are very beneficial and free a tremendous amount of time for the position coaches.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

He doesn't deserve that pay yet.  If he improves the program he'll end up with more probably. I'd say they increase the OC/DC/STC, well possibly not OC since EM is the OC.   The position coaching hires I've seen should be paid less or the same though since they are mostly working higher level jobs for the first time.

If I were to guess, then we are going to have a lower overall salaries from last year and we will use the surplus to assist our NIL program. 

The schools cannot be connected to their NIL collectives and no way in hell they can funnel money from the athletic department into those.  🙄

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, 2020 Sucks said:

The schools cannot be connected to their NIL collectives and no way in hell they can funnel money from the athletic department into those.  🙄

Then maybe just for budget purposes. Moseley's main points were trying to get a proportionate number of alumni involved and donating and trying to get some of our facilities up to par with the AAC or just big enough for us to use comfortably.  

• Upvote 2

The economy isn’t what it was in 2018…COVID took a toll on the budget here.  A drop in HC salary with incentives for production is the right step for Jared.  If we are going to run a capital campaign for $30M to build a new athletic center, something has to bend a little.  We aren’t aTm or UT.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I think Tom McKrackin is setting a GMG record for most downvoted posts in multiple threads within a 5 day period of time.  To the point where I think it's just troll jobs at this point.  haha

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I like what I’ve seen of this contract.  I’ve always been confounded that the new guy’s salary negotiation starts where the former guys salary ended.  LITTRELL did win 44 games here and Morris hasn’t come out of the tunnel yet.  North Texas is so unfamiliar with success, when we sniff a positive trend, we tend to over react.  I hope Jared will rein this tendency in.  

Merry Christmas Mean Green Nation.  Health and success in 2023.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 5

Nothing is guaranteed in sports, why take less money if it was on the table?  I think this is UNT being cheap.  The idea that he would voluntarily take less money so that the school could pay assistant coaches more does not make much sense because most assistants only get 1 year contracts, and should any of them have success they will likely get poached by another school anyway.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 7

46 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

Nothing is guaranteed in sports, why take less money if it was on the table?  I think this is UNT being cheap.  The idea that he would voluntarily take less money so that the school could pay assistant coaches more does not make much sense because most assistants only get 1 year contracts, and should any of them have success they will likely get poached by another school anyway.  

This is madness.  Why would anybody pay more than they have to for any contract or commodity?   College sports is a business not a charity.

Cheap, do you even realize who is paying most of these salaries as well as the overall sports program.  The students through mandated student fees.  This is how most non-super conferences pay for their programs.     

It would not just be incredibly stupid to pay more than they have to, it would be a failure of their fiduciary duty to the NT students and donors.

46 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

• Upvote 7

51 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

This is madness.  Why would anybody pay more than they have to for any contract or commodity?   College sports is a business not a charity.

Cheap, do you even realize who is paying most of these salaries as well as the overall sports program.  The students through mandated student fees.  This is how most non-super conferences pay for their programs.     

It would not just be incredibly stupid to pay more than they have to, it would be a failure of their fiduciary duty to the NT students and donors.

You're a good poster on here, and smart guy but let's step off the high horse for a second.  If you run a business you know that it takes money to get the best employees especially in today's environment.  We want to keep the salary level up so we can tap into a better pool of talent.  Also, once the money is budgeted for, why give it up?  It makes no sense and the student fee is not abnormally high or anything in fact my understanding ours is lower as a percentage than most.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

You're a good poster on here, and smart guy but let's step off the high horse for a second.  If you run a business you know that it takes money to get the best employees especially in today's environment.  We want to keep the salary level up so we can tap into a better pool of talent.  Also, once the money is budgeted for, why give it up?  It makes no sense and the student fee is not abnormally high or anything in fact my understanding ours is lower as a percentage than most.

It takes money to get the best employees, that is far from meaning you pay over market for anything.  Not sure why you think budgeting money is even a factor.  You can budget outrageous sums, doesn't mean that money will ever be available. 

The student fee is high in fact it was the highest allowed.  Spending other people's money is always great.  Just wait and I think it will evidently happen that students who for the most part seldom attend athletic events decide to balk at paying fees.  Now that athletes are paid, this could come sooner than you may think.  

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2022 at 6:29 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

I hope they also find a way to upgrade the off-the-field roles. We need to add more support staffing.

On 12/23/2022 at 6:37 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

I am hoping we increase our number analyst. From everything I have seen these positions are very beneficial and free a tremendous amount of time for the position coaches.

I am hearing we will be near a P5 level on off the field support when staff is complete

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2