As far as losses go this one felt great!

Jonnyeagle

No loss feels great. But there were a lot of positives to take away from this bowl. Boise has been among the best G5 programs for a long time now, and we went toe to toe with them for 4 quarters. And although we lost, the reasons were the same one that cost Littrell is job.... bad QB play (2picks), lack of focus in critical situations (drops), & the air raid defense (bad defense).

We have a ton of young talent on the offensive side of the ball (the RB's, Roberts, Gumms, Smart,....). Morris has a history of finding quality QB's and developing them. This offense could be spectacular next season.

The defense needs to be scraped and built by a real defensive mind, not some air raid DC that believes giving up 28 points a game is good. In my opinion, the value Morris places on defense will tell us how successful he will be at UNT. I trust him to run a successful offense. It's defense where air raid coaches usually fail. Morris needs to land a really solid DC and place a premium on recruiting high caliber defensive players. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

No loss feels great. But there were a lot of positives to take away from this bowl. Boise has been among the best G5 programs for a long time now, and we went toe to toe with them for 4 quarters. And although we lost, the reasons were the same one that cost Littrell is job.... bad QB play (2picks), lack of focus in critical situations (drops), & the air raid defense (bad defense).

We have a ton of young talent on the offensive side of the ball (the RB's, Roberts, Gumms, Smart,....). Morris has a history of finding quality QB's and developing them. This offense could be spectacular next season.

The defense needs to be scraped and built by a real defensive mind, not some air raid DC that believes giving up 28 points a game is good. In my opinion, the value Morris places on defense will tell us how successful he will be at UNT. I trust him to run a successful offense. It's defense where air raid coaches usually fail. Morris needs to land a really solid DC and place a premium on recruiting high caliber defensive players. 

What do you mean by this?  I really don't know.   Are you saying PB only implements schemes that are designed to be effective against air raid teams?  I don't know enough about his history or philosophy to know that's the case.

2 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

What do you mean by this?  I really don't know.   Are you saying PB only implements schemes that are designed to be effective against air raid teams?  I don't know enough about his history or philosophy to know that's the case.

It isn't a term to describe schemes against the air raid.

Bennett isn't what I would call an "air raid DC". He's just been coaching college defenses for about 45 years. The players and the game have changed a lot since he started coaching, and his schemes just aren't as effective anymore.

I use the term "air raid DC" as a description for the usual "yes man" air raid coaches hire for the DC position. An "air raid DC" is usually content to have the defensive side of the ball play second fiddle to the offense and hold their tongue while recruiting focuses almost entirely on the offensive side of the ball. And as a result, their defenses give up ridiculous numbers of yards and points, and they lose to teams that actually have good defenses. It was Leach's problem throughout his career, and the coaches that sprouted from his tree have the same problem (including Littrell).

We need Morris to give the defense equal treatment if we are going to be a real player in the AAC. We need a real DC that will build a Skladany type 2013 UNT defense. 

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Priorities:

1. QB  

1A. Defense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

It isn't a term to describe schemes against the air raid.

Bennett isn't what I would call an "air raid DC". He's just been coaching college defenses for about 45 years. The players and the game have changed a lot since he started coaching, and his schemes just aren't as effective anymore.

I use the term "air raid DC" as a description for the usual "yes man" air raid coaches hire for the DC position. An "air raid DC" is usually content to have the defensive side of the ball play second fiddle to the offense and hold their tongue while recruiting focuses almost entirely on the offensive side of the ball. And as a result, their defenses give up ridiculous numbers of yards and points, and they lose to teams that actually have good defenses. It was Leach's problem throughout his career, and the coaches that sprouted from his tree have the same problem (including Littrell).

We need Morris to give the defense equal treatment if we are going to be a real player in the AAC. We need a real DC that will build a Skladany type 2013 UNT defense. 

Gotcha'.  I'm not convinced that PB was a "yes, man", again I don't know.  But definitely think SL put D as a lower priority and would love to have a Skladany D again.  I also believe that was a time when our S&C program (Wintrich) was in top shape too (but I may be off by a few years).

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

Gotcha'.  I'm not convinced that PB was a "yes, man", again I don't know.  But definitely think SL put D as a lower priority and would love to have a Skladany D again.  I also believe that was a time when our S&C program (Wintrich) was in top shape too (but I may be off by a few years).

I agree. I doubt Bennett was a yes man too. I think he was Littrell's friend that was given a chance to walk the sidelines again, and given freedom to run the D his way. But his way just isn't as effective since the game had evolved.

I was at the athletic center about two months ago and ran into coach Bennett. Let me tell you, that guy loves being a football coach. I can't see him being happily retired. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, wardly said:

Just a question, but I saw where attendance was only 12,000 . Any ideas as to why so low? I think we had more last year playing Miami of Ohio on a weeknight in the " MADE UP BOWL".

Last year's team was riding an improbable five game win streak going into the bowl game, and coming off the high of beating undefeated UTSA in the final game of the season. It was actually a weekday game, but weather was great.

This year's team had lost two of the final three games, just got done firing their coach, and it felt like fan apathy was at an all-time high. Compounded by the fact that it was near freezing temperatures for pretty much the whole game, and the game started so late that it ended after midnight local time, I was not surprised at all that attendance was what it was.

• Upvote 1

On 12/18/2022 at 4:23 PM, wardly said:

Just a question, but I saw where attendance was only 12,000 . Any ideas as to why so low? I think we had more last year playing Miami of Ohio on a weeknight in the " MADE UP BOWL".

Those that I know that didn’t go said it was because of two reasons:

1. Start and end were going to be so late.  (Impacted what to do with kids.)

2.  Near freezing temperatures. 

Neither had anything to do with the team. 

• Upvote 2