North Texas using a pair of firms to find AD and football coach

meangreen11

11 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Consultants are typically overpaid and deliver subpar work. I'm kind of worried that we are hiring a cobsulting firm. Does this mean that we don't have a guy? Or are they here to help with negotiations and what not?

In my experience, hiring a consultant helps to de-liable-ize the process...nothing more. The candidate(s) are more than likely already in pocket.

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, untcampbell said:

Is this a North Texas thing or a must-have in every athletic department? I am not entirely confident we have gotten our money's worth from this spend unless it is just a vetting service for guys we are already chasing or who have applied. I guess HR doesn't do that in college athletics.

GMG

Oh yes,  it's everyone.   Wren was hired away to WVU through one.

These firms are plugged in with the agencies that represent these coaches & ADs.    When you reach out to them, they will go fishing for you & bring back candidates that fit. 

Again, as far as the AD search goes, with NT being in the AAC, and with how much Neal was being paid, there should be a flood of qualified candidates coming in to choose from, with an already-qualified guy in pocket if none of the applicants tickle Neal's fancy.

• Upvote 7

From what I’ve seen, I think these search firms serve a couple of main duties:

1- They’re not subject to state freedom of information laws. This allows coaches and their agents to speak freely and often with someone about the position without fear of those conversations or even knowledge that those conversations happened ending up on ESPN.

2- They are typically very well connected to other coaches and ADs so they can help an AD get “insider” information on any candidates the AD might be interested in.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

0d6fb53d-f29c-4847-8693-ad69ffc27b45_tex

yeah administrators I've talked to have confirmed for me the suspicion that a lot of it is about covering their tracks. They talk to a consultant, who does all the communicating and coordinating for them. 

You can hire a search firm to do most of the deal, or simply to be the go-between. As a public university, they are subject to FOIA requests, so some of this is just being able to avoid all the public scrutiny that can come from that. 

The email/text says "Meet here/there" and the rest can be done elsewhere. Or like on a messaging portal or something. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Who was responsible for the McCasland and DeLong hire? Did they hire a consultant for those hires?

Probably not for Delong. I can’t imagine there’s much incentive for media outlets breaking the news on a softball coach hire.

I don’t remember if Wren used a search firm for Coach Mac or not. I would think some schools do hire search firms for basketball though.

Hopefully we have known Wren was leaving for quite some time and this supposed plan to hire an AD before the end of the week is not being strung together in a few days time, why not just let Mosely be the AD through the spring?

Not hiring a coach before early signing day seems like a bad idea. We only have 5 commits but it's not fair to them, they don't know if new coach will honor their commits or not. It's not fair to any player who's torn on entering the portal. If they wait for February's signing day they won't be at their new school for spring ball. This all seems bad.