Game presentation

Shark84

Also, if you are a visitor wanting to buy a ticket for the game, good luck.  Have you noticed that the ticket office on the Fouts side has only one lighted window and no floods so as to show people that it is a ticket office?  Yes, Grant is flirting with having a big time program, but the athletic dept. is still small time.

• Upvote 3

Again,  not the Athletic department.  The Pit is controlled by the academic side. Athletics can't change a light bulb around there.  It has to go through the academic side.

Why is this so hard to understand? The Pit was not built with Athletic money and CANNOT be controlled by the Athletic department.  Thank your Longhorn and Aggie friends in the state legislature.  UT and the Aggies built theirs with public funds then changed the rules so the rest couldn't and all of us litte guys got shafted. 

Put the blame where it goes.

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 2

Can we please stop acting like the University is blocking fixing steps.  If they or the athletic department wanted to fix the steps, or anything else, they'd do it. Neil Smatresk is not going to allow the university facilities department to be obstructionist about the things NT athletics would like to do.

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Shark84 said:

Does it bother anyone else that our scoreboard system never seems to be working correctly at the Super Pit? Last night the player stats were not up to date and then the board went out for a second. Is this due to the age of the equipment in the Pit or just someone dropping the ball in the athletic department? Also, we are a D1 school and can't even get a program out for our home games. Even HS's offer lineup sheets. Hard to have people take you serious when little stuff like that isn't taken care of. It also drives me crazy that with all the renovations they did on the inside of the Pit, they couldn't fix the steps leading up on the southwest side. They have been crumbling for the last few years. It's something people see every time they walk up to an event. I know the athletic department doesn't control that but can't someone with the school address it. Maybe it IS time for a new facility!!! Go Mean Green.

To me it seems like the center screen is significantly less bright than a few years ago. This has bugged me. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Can we please stop acting like the University is blocking fixing steps.  If they or the athletic department wanted to fix the steps, or anything else, they'd do it. Neil Smatresk is not going to allow the university facilities department to be obstructionist about the things NT athletics would like to do.

Then why aren't these steps being fixed?  They have been an issue for years yet nothing gets done.

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Then why aren't these steps being fixed?  They have been an issue for years yet nothing gets done.

That’s a good question. But I think Wren Baker asked for the steps to be fixed and Neil Smatresk said no is pretty far down the list of possibilities. I would bet the thought of fixing the steps has crossed no ones minds of the people with authority to actually do it. 

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Pissed 2

Why add seats we cant fill the ones we have now.   The pit score board is fine the center one but ones up in the corners that track steals, rebounds , etc the score board at the south end are very old school.  I think this one of the problems with the pit being run by a group other than the athletic department.  

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Why add seats we cant fill the ones we have now.   The pit score board is fine the center one but ones up in the corners that track steals, rebounds , etc the score board at the south end are very old school.  I think this one of the problems with the pit being run by a group other than the athletic department.  

Didn't think anyone was looking to add seats as the long term plan is a new facility with less seats.

• Upvote 3

NT's basketball problems are not where they play.  It is that people do not go to the games, no matter how good the team is. 

NT will ultimately lose McCasland not only because he is a highly gifted coach, but that few seem to care about basketball at NT.  

It is due to a lot of students and alums that just don't care enough about sports to spend the money and effort to attend.  NT probably has 20,000 student living within 10 minutes of the SPit and yet a student group of over 1,000 is rare and they have already paid for their admission.   

Yes, NT has problems that many CUSA don't have like UTSA, WKU, La Tech, etc.  There is just an immense competition for the sports dollar that doesn't exist at most schools.  

A slight upgrade in conferences is not going to significantly change attendance or overall interest in the NT athletic programs. 

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

NT's basketball problems are not where they play.  It is that people do not go to the games, no matter how good the team is. 

NT will ultimately lose McCasland not only because he is a highly gifted coach, but that few seem to care about basketball at NT.  

It is due to a lot of students and alums that just don't care enough about sports to spend the money and effort to attend.  NT probably has 20,000 student living within 10 minutes of the SPit and yet a student group of over 1,000 is rare and they have already paid for their admission.   

Yes, NT has problems that many CUSA don't have like UTSA, WKU, La Tech, etc.  There is just an immense competition for the sports dollar that doesn't exist at most schools.  

A slight upgrade in conferences is not going to significantly change attendance or overall interest in the NT athletic programs. 

Everything ok with you lately?  Your posts seem very dark.  I know the holidays can be a trying time.  Hang in there it will be ok.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

44 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Everything ok with you lately?  Your posts seem very dark.  I know the holidays can be a trying time.  Hang in there it will be ok.

The holidays are great, don't have to hang in there.   

NT issues are year long, and ignoring them is not going to make the world better. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

Apathy is a real bitch. It just isn't cool enough for the students to feel like they should care about attending our home games, unless we are playing someone they care to watch. Hell, that same thing applies to the alumni and locals, too. 

I think the reality is that we would have to make a Sweet 16 or higher to even have a chance at ever getting our attendance to average above 4000 butts in seats.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Apathy is a real bitch. It just isn't cool enough for the students to feel like they should care about attending our home games, unless we are playing someone they care to watch. Hell, that same thing applies to the alumni and locals, too. 

I think the reality is that we would have to make a Sweet 16 or higher to even have a chance at ever getting our attendance to average above 4000 butts in seats.

Announced attendance or actual? We averaged an announced attendance of 4,006 in 2011-2012. It took Jones the better part of a decade to build and there was significant support from SGA (the Pit Crew, an idea that has truly inexplicably not been brought back) and general support from Athletics as well (despite one individual who shall remain unnamed having outright disdain for anyone who tried to supplement promotion efforts by the athletic department). 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Announced attendance or actual? We averaged an announced attendance of 4,006 in 2011-2012. It took Jones the better part of a decade to build and there was significant support from SGA (the Pit Crew, an idea that has truly inexplicably not been brought back) and general support from Athletics as well (despite one individual who shall remain unnamed having outright disdain for anyone who tried to supplement promotion efforts by the athletic department). 

Butts in seats is the real figure to go by. And why the Pit Crew got abandoned is beyond me. 

I learned a long time ago that i can’t want to win more than the administration. That won’t ever add up to success here. I figured we would see a big jump after last March and not being able to watch as much as possible because of Covid. Man, I was way off…

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Who went to BB games during the Bill Blakely era (besides myself)?
Even UNT Psychology doctoral student & later (Dr.) Phil McGraw was a regular at Mean Green basketball games in the mid-1970’s (so he says). Phil & his wife also loved “The Texas Pickup” eatery & it’s Redneck Mutha’  hamburger, too. (I did too).👅

The first 10 yrs after the Super Pit opened  I rarely missed a basketball game.  Of course, I lived in Denton most that time, too. 

Has the Super Pit become too far for dorm students to walk over to?  I know it’s a different generation than We of the Gerontology Crowd, but those young legs can handle that short walk from Kendall Hall to the Super Pit. The first step of such a short journey  begins with the first step? 

68EC8997-DDDE-499D-8C1F-65259FB482A4.jpeg.aebe5fde3fab69ef6da66615fcaadfe9.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1