UAB Attendance

ttunt1970

7 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Attendance: 20142

I doubt we had 15,000 in the stands if we were very lucky.

The whole day was kind of dead for a parents weekend, was something going on? Did the school administration threaten the students again with PI's? The Hill was unusually dead before the game? 

The student side was extra empty for decent weather and a game we were favored in. 

As usual, my seats in 110 were taken when I came to claim them. Security tells folks with GA tickets they can sit anywhere in the end zone. EVERY GAME. What was different this game is that where ever there was shade in the end zone, it was packed. 110, 111, 112 were full at kick off. Folks moved to the shade. By the end of the 1Q, most of the end zone lower bowl was full. 

Additionally, I have never seen the Club level as full in the 4Q as this game. Mant were likely guests of the university, i.e. 1967, 1987, 2013 teams and family, etc. But they didn't leave early. 

GMG

• Lovely Take 1

35 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

I doubt we had 15,000 in the stands if we were very lucky.

The whole day was kind of dead for a parents weekend, was something going on? Did the school administration threaten the students again with PI's? The Hill was unusually dead before the game? 

The student side was extra empty for decent weather and a game we were favored in. 

The two losses the weeks before and the weak opponent combined to stifle much interest. But I thought we had a nice crowd for a game against UAB, since they brought about 50 people to Denton.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

This might just by my pessimistic memory.   But I want to say that that's the first "Family Weekend" game we've won in awhile.  Or we haven't won many out of the last 10 or so.  Reason I say that is because they always think it would be such great marketing if we could just win when we actually get new people in the stadium have never been before, and it always ends up like we end up losing the game.   

Game should not of been that close, but to win in the fashion that they did, in front of probably a lot of people who have never been in that stadium before, it's a good thing. They might just want to come back.  

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, trud1966 said:

Game should not of been that close, but to win in the fashion that they did, in front of probably a lot of people who have never been in that stadium before, it's a good thing. They might just want to come back.  

Why should the game not been that close? They have recruited better, and been practicing in these schemes for a while now? This wasn't game one for them, they had weeks to shake off the rust...

• Downvote 3

I don't understand this whole "UAB is terrible" line of comment. I just looked and Massey composite has them at 114. They are ahead of East Carolina, Kansas, Nevada, Rice, San Jose State, UTEP and Charlotte to name a few. They are ranked ahead of teams from the AAC, MWC, Big XII, Sun Belt, MAC and CUSA. We are ranked 104. It wasn't supposed to be an easy game, ever. 

I saw parts several of the SMU games the year they came back from the death penalty. UAB is light years ahead of that team, but lots of fans continue to talk as if UAB was going to be worse than SMU was. That was never going to be the case. 

Still, we were supposed to win and we found a way to win. 

As for attendance, the crowd looked about 20k going into halftime. The reserved side was about 75% full, the student side was pretty empty on the upper level, but pretty full on the lower till you got inside the 10 yard line. The Wing went from full on the lower levels to empty after the halfway point going up. The crowd is counted based on the ticket scans and adding in season tickets but not counting the student tickets. It's a system approved by the NCAA for counting tickets. Yes, it looked much more sparse during the team introductions but that's NOT when the count closes. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

I don't understand this whole "UAB is terrible" line of comment. I just looked and Massey composite has them at 114. They are ahead of East Carolina, Kansas, Nevada, Rice, San Jose State, UTEP and Charlotte to name a few. They are ranked ahead of teams from the AAC, MWC, Big XII, Sun Belt, MAC and CUSA. We are ranked 104. It wasn't supposed to be an easy game, ever. 

I saw parts several of the SMU games the year they came back from the death penalty. UAB is light years ahead of that team, but lots of fans continue to talk as if UAB was going to be worse than SMU was. That was never going to be the case. 

Still, we were supposed to win and we found a way to win. 

As for attendance, the crowd looked about 20k going into halftime. The reserved side was about 75% full, the student side was pretty empty on the upper level, but pretty full on the lower till you got inside the 10 yard line. The Wing went from full on the lower levels to empty after the halfway point going up. The crowd is counted based on the ticket scans and adding in season tickets but not counting the student tickets. It's a system approved by the NCAA for counting tickets. Yes, it looked much more sparse during the team introductions but that's NOT when the count closes. 

I think folks were hypnotized by the 13 point spread going into the game. 

8 hours ago, untcampbell said:

Additionally, I have never seen the Club level as full in the 4Q as this game. Mant were likely guests of the university, i.e. 1967, 1987, 2013 teams and family, etc. But they didn't leave early. 

GMG

Agree on the club.  It was surprisingly full, but like you, I'm guessing lots of guests.  I saw of lot of lapel pins that indicated people being honored.  

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The two losses the weeks before and the weak opponent combined to stifle much interest. But I thought we had a nice crowd for a game against UAB, since they brought about 50 people to Denton.

I don't understand why we have to put our conference mates down like this when we're in no better position when it comes to attracting fans to attend away conference games.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I don't understand why we have to put our conference mates down like this when we're in no better position when it comes to attracting fans to attend away conference games.

To the casual observer, that probably seems like a fair assessment. If you only know one thing about UAB football, it's probably that they didn't have a program for two years. That stat alone doesn't scream "football powerhouse."

3 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

To the casual observer, that probably seems like a fair assessment. If you only know one thing about UAB football, it's probably that they didn't have a program for two years. That stat alone doesn't scream "football powerhouse."

None of the schools in Conference USA scream "football powerhouse."

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

This is what the ticket office told me since it is general admission.

I thought GA was the actual wing part of the endzone, not the lower bowl?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

We are just as weak to UAB fans.

We would have had a better crowd if we were playing a CUSA West team, without a doubt.

Just now, untjim1995 said:

We are just as weak to UAB fans.

We would have had a better crowd if we were playing a CUSA West team, without a doubt.

UAB is a CUSA West team.

I guess we'll see how attendance looks when UTSA and UTEP come to town in terms of NT fan interest then. If it's about the same, then what?

• Downvote 1