Observations from the casual fan experience

MEANGREENCOACH2

This was my dad's first North Texas game since 1991 when he drove up for a Parent's Weekend.  He's 75, but in good health.  We also parked at old Fouts and walked over the bridge. 

His only comment about the walk over is that he thought having a pedestrian bridge over a highway wasn't safe.  I reminded him of the pedestrian bridge they had for years over 635 over by Dedmon hospital area (approximately Josey Lane exit, etc.).

As a few people posted yesterday, the speakers were too loud.  And, they got too loud for him, so he got up midway through the 2nd quarter and sat at the tables under the Tail.

Other than that, he had no complaints.  The game was good.  He's an old Okie, so he was pleased to see former Sooner and Houston Oiler LB Joe Bowden's son making plays for Lamar, at minimum, in their loss.

He was also fascinated by Mason Fine's story.  If you talk to my dad and name a town in Oklahoma of any size, he'll have a story about it, either one of three things from his Okie youth:  he wrestled there in high school, knew a girl from there, or was arrested there.  

Anyway, he had a good time with the three generations of us there - him, me, my son and another nephew. 

I was pleased that the ushers seems much more mellow than in years seasons past.  That was a good.  My only complaints are:

(1) PA volume
(2) PA announcer's inability to correctly pronounce at least half of the last names of players
(3) Band looking half-assed

All in all, still a good experience.  And, winning made it all the better!

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 6

19 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

I guessed I missed out on the NORTH TEXAS chant this week.  I feel like thats one of the biggest things we had going from last year and i guess i missed it at this game.  

There wasn't one.  Well, I seemed like it tried to start, but it was late in the game when many had already left and if fizzled out pretty quickly.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, keith said:

There wasn't one.  Well, I seemed like it tried to start, but it was late in the game when many had already left and if fizzled out pretty quickly.

Someone from the spirit squads needs to keep an eye on the TV time out/commercial/official guy. 

(Also...and, I'm not picking on the spirit squad's football IQ here, but...if both teams are running onto the field to line up for a kickoff, that's probably a signal NOT to go onto the field; at least a close second to the TV time out guy also having walked off the field.)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

The changes I noticed (outside of concessions changes) were to the types of media shown on the big screen.  More ads for local businesses, more crowd interaction type stuff.  Letting the players dance for their intros.  Mostly little things, but I thought all of that stuff worked and was an improvement over last year.  Definitely more engaging and helped when we'd otherwise be throwing invisible knives at the red hat commercial guy on the field....

The cheerleaders making us spell out M-E-A-N G-R-EE-N, then I guess yell 'Mean Green'??  What is going on with that cheer?  Nobody around me could figure out what that chant was.  Just stick to doing the 'North - Texas' cheer.  Do we really need anything OTHER THAN THIS?  It's easy and sounds awesome.  Stop overthinking this.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

I was helping them out when it comes to UNT getting a first down.. They just kept pointing the same way

I told them "ladies we are going that way LOL"

Awesome.  Who watches the sideline guy who walks out on the field during TV breaks?  That's the guy (or, gal...or, trans) that fell asleep at the wheel.

I don't understand why the PA has to be THAT loud. I've noticed it since Apogee opened. 

38 minutes ago, Moobs said:

I had no complaints about the PA volume.  Perhaps I just like it loud?  I know I've been to too many loud rock concerts.  Maybe it's just from where I sit?  Those that are complaining of the volume, where were you sitting?

I did notice it was much louder the further away you are. My son and I sat on the 20 on the opposite side from the scoreboard and he was in pain. Covered his ears the whole time. We went to another game and sat closer to the scoreboard and up under the club level and it didn't seem as loud. 

I'm not an audio expert. Maybe it's the location in relation to the speaker.....

53 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I'm not an audio expert. Maybe it's the location in relation to the speaker.....

There may be something to that, and I'm no audio expert either. Saturday I sat in 207, Row 4 (approx. 45 yard line) and it was painful. Sunday I sat in the 4th row from the stage, right side, in front of the speakers to hear Buddy Guy at the Bedford Blues Festival...it was not uncomfortable. And if you don't know Buddy Guy, check him out on YouTube. He does not play acoustic guitar. :) The Bedford venue is a large open area with reserved seating up front and VIP tents with lawn seating to either side and lawn seating going back for maybe 75 - 90 yards. I heard nobody complain that they couldn't hear from back there!

Edited by EagleMBA

2 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

So I have waited will I got back to work to type this long response on an actual computer and not my cell phone.  But, I just wanted to list a couple of things that struck me as good additions or not so good additions to the game day experience.  I will not be speaking to the tailgating that went on or anything of that nature simply the experience that I had walking briskly up to the stadium after parking by the Pit.

So first thing I want to chat about is the location of the blood donor buses.  I truly think these could have been in a better location to attract more attention, however when signing in on Bus 1 I did notice 45 other names on the list and them mentioning that each bus has had roughly the same amount of visitors.  Also, they did hand out the vouchers for the free admission into the UTSA game good little add by the athletic department.

Second, the addition of people directing traffic for fans that are crossing the bridge from Fouts parking lot.  HUGE KUDDOS on this addition.

The students were wearing NEON YELLOW shirts directing traffic to either the hill or the winged entrance and explaining which way to go to the crowd.  Also, little "street signs" have been added letting people know which way leads to what.

Third, once in the stadium I noticed that the event staff was not checking any tickets for people.  I do like this better because it can get a little annoying having to show my ticket every time when I go get a cold beverage and return.  I do understand the need for them as well but I do not believe UNT is at this point when it comes to a "full house".

I absolutely loved the new "game/race" when they selected 2 kids to start on the 40 yard line run to the 30 and put on some HUGE cleats then to the 20 and throw some shoulder pads on then the 10 to pick the football up and ultimately score a TD across the goaline.  REALLY THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD GAME.

I guessed I missed out on the NORTH TEXAS chant this week.  I feel like thats one of the biggest things we had going from last year and i guess i missed it at this game.  

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

This was my dad's first North Texas game since 1991 when he drove up for a Parent's Weekend.  He's 75, but in good health.  We also parked at old Fouts and walked over the bridge. 

His only comment about the walk over is that he thought having a pedestrian bridge over a highway wasn't safe.  I reminded him of the pedestrian bridge they had for years over 635 over by Dedmon hospital area (approximately Josey Lane exit, etc.).

As a few people posted yesterday, the speakers were too loud.  And, they got too loud for him, so he got up midway through the 2nd quarter and sat at the tables under the Tail.

Other than that, he had no complaints.  The game was good.  He's an old Okie, so he was pleased to see former Sooner and Houston Oiler LB Joe Bowden's son making plays for Lamar, at minimum, in their loss.

He was also fascinated by Mason Fine's story.  If you talk to my dad and name a town in Oklahoma of any size, he'll have a story about it, either one of three things from his Okie youth:  he wrestled there in high school, knew a girl from there, or was arrested there.  

Anyway, he had a good time with the three generations of us there - him, me, my son and another nephew. 

I was pleased that the ushers seems much more mellow than in years seasons past.  That was a good.  My only complaints are:

(1) PA volume
(2) PA announcer's inability to correctly pronounce at least half of the last names of players
(3) Band looking half-assed

All in all, still a good experience.  And, winning made it all the better!

For both of yall, thats awesome to hear about the the things about improvements.. I know its likely been brought up to WB about the volume, but maybe its something that people need to email about.. My  dad said the same thing that it was to loud, and he tweeted and emailed the department as well.. But i will say, it was A LOT louder to when in the stadium before fans were let in... I do agree, and like the music loud if its done at the right times, like when we are defense (but no idea if we are able to change volume from when we are on offense/defense, my guess its not allowed)... 

The pregame volume yes it's a little loud. Moreso I'd be interested to know who most of that pregame noise appeals to and what percent of the people that is. I guess if it's 100% of the Mean Green players, ok.

It was my first time buying tickets at the west side ticket office. We had to ride the bus over cause of one visitor with limited mobility. That part the university got right and much appreciated. But the sun blasting into that ticket window area - wow. They need to put something up over there for both the purchasers' and the workers' benefit to block the sun when in that line.

The player intro graphics were awesome. But is it too much to ask for just one game in which the PA announcer and order of players are on the same page?

Also, when looking at the video board, I often noticed the cameras were in bad positions or shaky, zoomed in/out abruptly. Would be better if game day crew train with the equipment more prior to kickoff. The in game entertainment crew also need to have a better run through of what events/promotions are happening when. There were a couple of times when the director switched to the sideline reporter's camera when she wasn't ready.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

The player intro graphics were awesome. But is it too much to ask for just one game in which the PA announcer and order of players are on the same page?

Also, when looking at the video board, I often noticed the cameras were in bad positions or shaky, zoomed in/out abruptly. Would be better if game day crew train with the equipment more prior to kickoff. The in game entertainment crew also need to have a better run through of what events/promotions are happening when. There were a couple of times when the director switched to the sideline reporter's camera when she wasn't ready.

...or the band started playing when the sideline reporter was starting up.   

5 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Apparently alot of the camera people were brand new... No idea if they were salary people that were laid off then replaced by student interns or what... But I know the camera people were new

37 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Apparently alot of the camera people were brand new... No idea if they were salary people that were laid off then replaced by student interns or what... But I know the camera people were new

They're students, always have been.

The whole video board production, in-game experience, whatever you want to call it still needs a lot of work. The professionals in the field who know how to do this sort of thing command way more $$ than the athletic department can afford. Pro sports teams and P5 invest a lot of money in this as they know it's a huge part of the overall fan experience. You get what you pay for.

I saw in the master plan that they were getting an RF camera, so that should help a little. They need to get an RF mic too so the sideline host can do stuff in the stands. Couldn't believe that she was going out onto the field with a wired mic. 

22 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

saw in the master plan that they were getting an RF camera, so that should help a little. They need to get an RF mic too so the sideline host can do stuff in the stands. Couldn't believe that she was going out onto the field with a wired mic. 

They have a wireless mic, it's just that difficult to get the signal down on the field.. No idea if it messes with the coaching/opponent frequency but they have one, I know for that sure.