Lamar sportswriter: UNT game "should" be cancelled

Harry

Rescheduled -- Yes; Canceled -- No. Canceling the game for both teams is a bad thing for both teams. Even rescheduling will likely have a negative impact as neither will end up with a much needed mid-season bye week.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know exactly how the situation looks in Beaumont right now, but I feel like its too early to call it. Also depends a bit on how the local drainage around there manages to hold up, which I think takes a day to really find out as well...you can't really test an event like this. However, if it can't be played on saturday, I do think it would be better to play it on the bye week rather than cancel it. It will be hard enough to get to 6 this season and if playing and beating an FCS takes out too much out of the team to be able to go the week after, then we are not getting to 6 anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Just a question. Why did the team not already leave beaumont earlier in the week? 

This Right here! So they stay there and its flooding so the kids have to be evacuated anyway?

2 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Best guess would be budget

There are so many Fields around Denton that they could practice on, 4 HS's and CH Collins field.I feel like there are a lot of people that would pitch in to help out a team in need with lodging and feeding the athletes/staff. I know its a lot of "Coulds" and "Ifs"but I think it could be done fairly easily......One would think but Im awful with my money so IDK

• Downvote 1

I do t know guys.  Wren makes it sound like this game is going to go on as scheduled.  I am hopeful.  

Also love that he gave it to Craig at the end of the interview.  Can't stand his whiny  voice and lack of UNT support.  Protect the Shield Mean Green!!!!!

GMG

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, NM Green said:

I do t know guys.  Wren makes it sound like this game is going to go on as scheduled.  I am hopeful.  

Also love that he gave it to Craig at the end of the interview.  Can't stand his whiny  voice and lack of UNT support.  Protect the Shield Mean Green!!!!!

GMG

Explain..please...

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Best guess would be budget

And this is exactly the reason why Lamar MUST play this game.   They're getting a very large check from UNT for this game...  Be it played on 9/2 or played on 10/7.  They need that money to keep the AD in the black.   Kindof like our reliance on Iowa's check.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, NM Green said:

GMG

Craig is like the other 98% of UNT alumni who like sports. They have never been given a reason to care more about us than they do about their t-shirt team they grew up following. If we ever give him a reason to care about us, he will.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

What is the point in cancelling the game if Lamar can make the trip?  Honestly, they are going to be dealing the effects of this storm for weeks and weeks.  Get back to life.

I lived through Katrina, Rita and Ike and while none of them caused the devastation in Houston that Harvey has, but the goal of everyone is to get back to normal asap.  This game allows them to take that step.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

What is the point in cancelling the game if Lamar can make the trip?  Honestly, they are going to be dealing the effects of this storm for weeks and weeks.  Get back to life.

I lived through Katrina, Rita and Ike and while none of them caused the devastation in Houston that Harvey has, but the goal of everyone is to get back to normal asap.  This game allows them to take that step.

Postponing it alleviates much of this--these Lamar kids can help their families and get ready for school starting. This game has no benefit for either of us, to be honest. We play a home game against a FCS team that has much less talent than we do and they aren't even into the game because of the many distractions they are dealing with. Even killing them like we did Nicholls State wouldn't help us a lick to get ready for SMU's size and speed.

• Downvote 3

I was listening to Wren's interview on the ticket and he personally bought Craig a Mean Green shirt at the end of the day because the alumni would like to see him get some Green on.  Wren did say he fully expects it to hit eBay but at least he didn't let him forget his roots. 

GMG

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

it will be cancelled after last nights rains in the area around Lamar.  We should just cancel the game and not play them this year.  we will need the bye week during the season.  We will have to get to 6 wins the hard way.

2 hours ago, JRock said:

Agreed it should be canceled. And if we are getting to the point where we only expect to win 6 games by playing an FCS team, then lord help us. 

I can't imagine the game being cancelled altogether, especially when both teams share the same bye week.  A bye week is a nice luxury, but no A.D. is going to give up a game that could be played and lose the attendant ticket revenues/paycheck and win opportunity.

At this late hour, I kind of doubt that it will even be postponed, unless the Lamar team absolutely cannot make it out of Beaumont.  Otherwise, postponement should have been done Monday.

• Lovely Take 2

Just as a quick heads up to everyone not in this Beaumont/Port Arthur area: This is a disaster zone right now. Cities are underwater and people are frantically looking for rescues. Lamar's dorms flooded as well.

There are 60 players on Lamar football's roster from Houston/Southeast Texas. Many have/will lose stuff to this flooding.

Beyond that, there aren't any safe routes leading out of Beaumont right now. Everything is closed to flooding. The I-10 is an ocean.

Team has practiced once since last Friday and clearly isn't in game shape.

No reason for this game to be played Saturday except money. I get that but Lamar's AD has stressed player safety as the top priority and if he wants to keep his players safe, he won't make them play this game.

Rescheduling could be an option, obviously, but much bigger things to worry about right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, DannyShapiro said:

Just as a quick heads up to everyone not in this Beaumont/Port Arthur area: This is a disaster zone right now. Cities are underwater and people are frantically looking for rescues. Lamar's dorms flooded as well.

There are 60 players on Lamar football's roster from Houston/Southeast Texas. Many have/will lose stuff to this flooding.

Beyond that, there aren't any safe routes leading out of Beaumont right now. Everything is closed to flooding. The I-10 is an ocean.

No reason for this game to be played Saturday except money. I get that but Lamar's AD has stressed player safety as the top priority and if he wants to keep his players safe, he won't make them play this game.

Rescheduling could be an option, obviously, but much bigger things to worry about right now.

Thanks for passing that on.   As anxious as we are to get the season started on Saturday, I think a vast majority of North Texas fans completely understand the situation down there.   Safety first.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, DannyShapiro said:

Thanks for your coverage Danny.  Tough situation for you guys.  Keeping everyone there  in our thoughts and prayers.