On Second Glance Poll

Harry

On second glance; 2017 FB Recruiting Class  

68 members have voted

1. 1. On second glance, is the 2017 FB Signing Class looking better than you originally thought?

• Yes, I am starting to warm up to it!
    • No - still not pleased.
    • Maybe. If we land some transfers and late qualifiers we will be ok.
    • I liked it from the start!

My choice is not listed.  I liked it from the start.  Hated losing out on long-time commit Bradley but replacing him with 2 other 3 star guys with similar skill sets was a good move.  I just think, at this level, the differential between first place and last place points in the conference is small.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Sort of a biased poll...no place to check if one liked it from the start.  This is why poll numbers and results can be so biased and/or skewed in one direction or the other.  People who create polls and the like for a living know how to create questions that lead to the answers they want from the poll.  Very interesting "science" this poll creation thing.  Not saying Harry had a pre-conceived outcome before leaving off one pretty darn obvious question, but, as UNTLifer indicated above, one highly probable and plausible  seems to have been left off the list.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11

I do like the additions on offense... I would like to add another Transfer OT and possibly WR(since our WRs seem very young). But I think Defense is something we need to look at. We didn't play well down the stretch and lost a lot of our starting talent and a lot of important guys in Scott, Gray, Combs, Davis(even if he was a 3rd CB), and even Hood as well. I'd like to see another DB, LB, or even DL..

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

My choice is not listed.  I liked it from the start.  Hated losing out on long-time commit Bradley but replacing him with 2 other 3 star guys with similar skill sets was a good move.  I just think, at this level, the differential between first place and last place points in the conference is small.  

I do agree about how it was impressive to add 2 3* guys without them visiting or anything when they thought/knew Bradley was gone. I do agree somewhat about the points in terms of recruiting as well.. Yes, the schools at the top of the C-USA ranks brought in a # of 3 star players compared to the 5 that we did(so far), and I do believe there is not a major difference between a 2 star and a 3 star... Heck, Guyton was a 4 star and McNeal a 4 star as well when they left HS and now they were considered mid-tier 3 stars.. This staff had to go after guys who could come in and stick around... I would think of the 20 something kids we got(Through LOI and BS) that they are likely to end up on campus.. A few worries about players like Sigger and the kid from Houston(people brought up grades as for why they slipped/lost offers)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

Sort of a biased poll...no place to check if one liked it from the start.  This is why poll numbers and results can be so biased and/or skewed in one direction or the other.  People who create polls and the like for a living know how to create questions that lead to the answers they want from the poll.  Very interesting "science" this poll creation thing.  Not saying Harry had a pre-conceived outcome before leaving off one pretty darn obvious question, but, as UNTLifer indicated above, one highly probable and plausible  seems to have been left off the list.

Wow Kram - throwing the stones on a Friday I see.  Believe it or not there was no conspiracy to the poll.  I actually was warming up to the class and wondered if others felt that way.  I updated the poll with the response you and Lifer requested and I do believe you can update your answer.  Problem solved.

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Wow Kram - throwing the stones on a Friday I see.  Believe it or not there was no conspiracy to the poll.  I actually was warming up to the class and wondered if others felt that way.  I updated the poll with the response you and Lifer requested and I do believe you can update your answer.  Problem solved.

1ixcum.jpg

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hey - he wasn't saying anything about you specifically, just all polls really. Can't get mad when someone drags a big net if you lose a few fish, amirite?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Hmmmmm...no...see Quoner's post.  I even mentioned I did not think you were guilty.  Just discussing polls in general and the "science" surrounding creating polls by the professionals.  Did not think you considered yourself a professional poll "creator".  Sorry if you were insulted...certainly not my point.  I guess I could counter that folks are extra "sensitive" these days.

Again, Sorry Harry, wasn't a shot at you but at professional pollsters in general.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Sorry - I just misread that.  All is good.  GMG!

Ha! Sure...after you got me 5 down votes!  HeHe....Just funning with you. ????

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

34 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

This right here helps illustrate the divide in evaluating this class. What I mean by that is that we were able to bring in some good players and we have some exciting players we added.

However, the disappointing part is how poorly the coaches performed when recruiting against other FBS programs. Bringing in Darden and White was good, but we beat out Texas Southern for Darden and Grambling State for White. Two FCS programs. 

And again, of the 11 commitments we got once the dead period ended (including blueshirts), all 11 appeared to only have us and either FCS schools or  no one actively pursuing them. 

We got some promising guys and time will tell how good this class turns out. What we don't need time to tell is how successful we were recruiting against our FBS peers. That question has already been answered for this class and the results were bad.

You think Littrell addresses that with the staff?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

The question that I have is... if we don't better/higher ranked kids or is it based on how the kids mature this season?.. when does SL move on from some of these guys? Would he move on from coaches at the end of next season? or does he wait?

The guys that we had hoped to fill Perry's slot in Booker and Traylor are still out there.. When they announce the IPF, do they also talk about more of an investment into staffs with the basket ball? Football? as well? One of my Sports Management Profs.(who works within the SuperPit) has heard a few minor rumors about them doing away with the superpit in the coming years..

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The question that I have is... if we don't better/higher ranked kids or is it based on how the kids mature this season?.. when does SL move on from some of these guys? Would he move on from coaches at the end of next season? or does he wait?

The guys that we had hoped to fill Perry's slot in Booker and Traylor are still out there.. When they announce the IPF, do they also talk about more of an investment into staffs with the basket ball? Football? as well? One of my Sports Management Profs.(who works within the SuperPit) has heard a few minor rumors about them doing away with the superpit in the coming years..

I don't care what they do, as long as we are WINNING! Can't see where they would go if the Pit is done away with.  Nothing wrong with it as is, just renovate it (see Moody) and hire a real coach. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No, I am done sugarcoating our short comings. I like some of the kids we brought in but every time I compare us to pretty much every school in Texas I like their class better. It's a poor class, and it's over. It is what it is, and they could develop and play well or play to what they are projected. I just can't look past the fact that nearly every recruit that had competitive offers choose elsewhere and I'm not letting the staff off the hook for it. It's time they do what apparently is what they are good at and start developing.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I do agree about how it was impressive to add 2 3* guys without them visiting or anything when they thought/knew Bradley was gone. I do agree somewhat about the points in terms of recruiting as well.. Yes, the schools at the top of the C-USA ranks brought in a # of 3 star players compared to the 5 that we did(so far), and I do believe there is not a major difference between a 2 star and a 3 star... Heck, Guyton was a 4 star and McNeal a 4 star as well when they left HS and now they were considered mid-tier 3 stars.. This staff had to go after guys who could come in and stick around... I would think of the 20 something kids we got(Through LOI and BS) that they are likely to end up on campus.. A few worries about players like Sigger and the kid from Houston(people brought up grades as for why they slipped/lost offers)

➡️ Main stream media will not report that 2 of our signings left their high schools as 4 star (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️) recruits, either. ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I don't think he'll make any changes to the staff because of it. I also don't think he's going to explicitly bring it up and let them know that's unacceptable going forward. I honestly think he's happy with the class and he's more concerned about getting them to be properly utilized on this team.

I can't remember ever really seeing a situation where a coach brings in a few better recruiters onto his staff and they go from bad at recruiting to good at recruiting. That's part of the reason why, while the staff does the brunt of the recruiting work, I feel that the head coach is the main factor in whether a school's recruiting is going well or not.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

I like Seth Littrell and will take going to a bowl game anytime.

Every time Seth Littrell steps in front of a microphone, he looks about as comfortable as someone getting a prostate exam.

Just as we expect a freshman to improve as a sophomore, I would also expect Littrell to improve as a communicator. He hasn't done that yet and I do believe it impacts recruiting.

Take a toastmasters class or something Seth! Read How to Win Friends and Influence People!

And yes, I know being charasmatic never landed Danny Mac a top 5 class, but he didn't have the other stuff going for him that Littrell has. 

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, p_phelps said:

No, I am done sugarcoating our short comings. I like some of the kids we brought in but every time I compare us to pretty much every school in Texas I like their class better. It's a poor class, and it's over. It is what it is, and they could develop and play well or play to what they are projected. I just can't look past the fact that nearly every recruit that had competitive offers choose elsewhere and I'm not letting the staff off the hook for it. It's time they do what apparently is what they are good at and start developing.

Is it?  Littrell has apparently said he's still working on more.

The real question is whither or not this class makes a 5-8 team better.  I think it does.  

Littrell's first class looks pretty good after one year, even though Bryce English, Nic Smith,and other RS sat out the year.

The influx of receivers and O linemen should help a more experienced Qb move the ball.

You have trust/hope that Littrell has found good players that others overlooked, just like he did last year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2