MGB: Source confirms Biagi is UNT's new assistant

Brett Vito

46 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Also found this interesting from the article....5 years to play 4 1/3?

On the eligibility question, the AFCA proposed maintaining the five-for-four model — a player has five years to complete his four seasons of on-field eligibility — but with a twist: A student-athlete would be able to take a redshirt season in any year in which he participates in four or fewer games.

That sounds like they're getting rid of the hardship waiver/"medical redshirt."  This would take most of the red tape/bureaucracy/question marks out of the equation.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Caw Caw said:

Southern notched an incredible eight special teams touchdowns this year, as three separate players returned kickoffs for a total of four touchdowns, returned three punts for touchdowns and blocked a punt for a score. The eight special teams scored are believed to be an FCS record. The Jaguars have notched a total of 14 special teams touchdowns in the past three seasons.

This was the biggest take for me.  It looks like his success there was from system, not a Magic Return Guy

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

This guy's special teams are so exceptional at a FCS school that he gets mentioned for an FBS award, although not eligible to win.  That is impressive.  His work as a GA under Petrino led to the signing of a couple of 4 star recruits from areas rarely recruited by Arkansas...also impressive.  How are some of you not excited about this hire?  Is it for a lack of East Texas experience?  Did Perry have East Texas experience prior to coming to North Texas?  I don't recall but I don't think so.  Sounds like this young man has the personality to fit in wherever needed.  I like the hire, not that it matters because Littrell is dokng the hiring and there isn't a coach on staff that he hired that hasn't worked out.

Think people were hoping it would be booker just because of the players he has landed. I'm guessing people aren't sure about  Biagi because he was a GA and doesn't have a 24/7 profile for us to see who all he has recruited. 

Also, even if Biagi is only a ST coordinator, I think we can make do. I'm sure coaches like GH, SL, Etc when they watch film see RBs that stand out. Also,having GAs like Byrd on the staff along, with Choice being around I think it can be made up. Having a solid/ improved ST game will help vastly. Better field position for offense and longer fields for the defense. This defense got put in some very rough spots, because of the offense and just aiding them with Keena leaving will be huge.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Coach Biagi.  Sounds Italian.  We could be related.  Welcome aboard paisan!

And then there's this read-

Who is Marty Biagi?

He'll be the second best Italian-American coach in DFW behind Giuseppe Spicolli, the assistant kicking coach over at SMU. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not yet impressed with this move by SL. He let a proven coach go and takes on a guy with potential but also risk. There is certainly a chance that his FCS special teasm feat will tranlat him to a good FBS coach. But what UNT really needed was a great -and most importantly proven- recruiter, to at least replace Perry or actually improve on Perrys performance. I am starting to be afraid that SL is not putting enough attention into recruiting.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

He'll be the second best Italian-American coach in DFW behind Giuseppe Spicolli, the assistant kicking coach over at SMU. 

Wrong!  Spicolli is from Northern Italy.  They know nothing about kicking up there.  Biagi, probably Sicilian.  Much better at kicking.

• Upvote 7

10 hours ago, outoftown said:

Not yet impressed with this move by SL. He let a proven coach go and takes on a guy with potential but also risk. There is certainly a chance that his FCS special teasm feat will tranlat him to a good FBS coach. But what UNT really needed was a great -and most importantly proven- recruiter, to at least replace Perry or actually improve on Perrys performance. I am starting to be afraid that SL is not putting enough attention into recruiting.

Did you read what he accomplished recruiting for Petrino as a GA?

http://www.razorbloggers.net/2009/06/who-is-marty-biagi/

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6

9 hours ago, outoftown said:

Based on what?

• Upvote 1

I was looking for a picture of this character from Necessary Roughness.  I think there was a scene where he tied on a headband prior to unleashing his karate skills on some poor player.

Image result for eric samurai hansen, necessary roughness

The students could start a section for Coach Biagi/Mr. Miagi, sell similar headbands and they all wear them during kickoffs, punts, etc...

• Downvote 5