MGB: Source confirms Biagi is UNT's new assistant

Brett Vito

So, he doesn't have P5 experience as a coach.  Perry was the same, if you'll recall.  Perry came from South Alabama. 

This guy was a punter in college; although, his resume is extremely puffed.  He only started one season at punter and never attempted so much as a PAT, according to Marshall stats. But, I'm not overly concerned about his special teams acumen.  Having been special teams coach at Southern and having been a punter for at least a bit, I trust he's designed and sat through a shit ton of special teams meetings enough to have some sort of philosophy about it. 

His other experience is cornerbacks at South Dakota, co-defensive coordinator at Arkansas-Pine Bluff.  One season each.

Running back is another issue altogether.  Perry did a great job there, and did have experience there.  So, nothing on the RB coach position. 

Does Littrell turn this over to Brad Davis?  If so, that gives Davis three balls to juggle:  run game coordinator, OL, and RB. 

Or, does he leave it unfilled/coached by committee, assuming a new QB will be able to throw 60+ times a game like he probably envisions his "Air Raid" that couldn't (wouldn't?) be done this season.   

I'm a tiny bit skeptical of this move; but, willing to see how it turns out...I mean, what other choice do we have?

• Upvote 1

http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/Marty-Biagi-leaves-Notre-Dame-new-UNT-special-teams-coordinator-50499266

"“As a graduate assistant, one thing head coach Petrino did was put a lot of responsibilities on their GA’s,” said Davenport. “It was Marty and [current Notre Dame offensive coordinator] Chip Long. Marty got a kid from North Carolina named Chris Smith, a defensive end who is now with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Arkansas rarely, if ever recruits North Carolina. That was a big get. He had a lot of offers. For a guy to get Chris and his family to visit that summer and then for an official visit during the season and then sign him, that’s big. Marty was also able to get a receiver from Virginia, Quinta Funderburk, another four-star recruit. He was the lead recruiter on both of those guys. That in itself is quite impressive.

“I remember the kids really liking Marty. He related well to him. He was younger and is still a young guy. They really enjoyed the way he recruited and related to them. The guys on the team enjoyed being coached by him.

“He had special teams responsibilities under Petrino. I know he also did well as a defensive backs coach at Southern University. I just always thought Marty had the chance to be a head coach 10-15 years from that point. Very detail-oriented, well-liked. Overall, as a graduate assistant, he did a really good job. Not many GA’s could be a lead recruiter for a guy, but he was and he did well. He didn’t even go off campus. He did it all over the phone. It’s pretty impressive. He’s relentless and a hard worker. The kids said that about him.”

Biagi brings a great deal of knowledge to his new position at North Texas, but as seen above, a ton of experience on the recruiting trail."

Seems like a good add. I liked Perry as well but seems like he hasn't been as active recruiting this season anyways. Also I believe that Littrell has earned the benefit of the doubt and he knows what he is doing. So while some may be skeptical right now, I think we just need to watch this play out. It also doesn't have to be Perry is good and this guy is bad or vice versa. They can both be very good but with salary and coaching philosophies maybe Biagi works better for UNT now. Regardless I wish Perry the best! 

Edited by MEEN2018
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This makes me feel better about his coaching abilities. 

1 minute ago, MEEN2018 said:

And that makes me feel better about his recruiting.

• Upvote 6

I wonder if this has any connection to Guyton (former ND receiver who already signed his LOI). This is the except from football scoop for the lazy:

Marty Biagi, Southern

Biagi is not eligible for the overall FootballScoop Special Teams Coordinator of the Year award as it is strictly an FBS award, but Biagi’s work with the Southern special teams was so impactful they deserved mention among the finalists. Southern notched an incredible eight special teams touchdowns this year, as three separate players returned kickoffs for a total of four touchdowns, returned three punts for touchdowns and blocked a punt for a score. The eight special teams scored are believed to be an FCS record. The Jaguars have notched a total of 14 special teams touchdowns in the past three seasons.

Key Stats

• 4 kickoffs returned for touchdowns
  • 2 punts returned for touchdowns
  • 2 blocked punts
  • 1 blocked punt returned for a touchdown
  • 1 fumbled punt returned for a touchdown
Edited by Caw Caw
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

I wonder if this has any connection to Guyton (former ND receiver who already signed his LOI). This is the except from football scoop for the lazy:

Marty Biagi, Southern

Biagi is not eligible for the overall FootballScoop Special Teams Coordinator of the Year award as it is strictly an FBS award, but Biagi’s work with the Southern special teams was so impactful they deserved mention among the finalists. Southern notched an incredible eight special teams touchdowns this year, as three separate players returned kickoffs for a total of four touchdowns, returned three punts for touchdowns and blocked a punt for a score. The eight special teams scored are believed to be an FCS record. The Jaguars have notched a total of 14 special teams touchdowns in the past three seasons.

Key Stats

• 4 kickoffs returned for touchdowns
  • 2 punts returned for touchdowns
  • 2 blocked punts
  • 1 blocked punt returned for a touchdown
  • 1 fumbled punt returned for a touchdown

may be wrong but i don't think Guyton and Biagi were on campus at same time

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

may be wrong but i don't think Guyton and Biagi were on campus at same time

No, now that you bring it up, that would make sense since it was a one year stop in south bend for both at different points. I wonder if Litrell wants to aim for a bigger out of state presence too. It's an interesting hire. It doesn't really move the needle either way for me. I wonder what he can contribute in a months time. That's a lot to ask at any job.

Edited by Caw Caw

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

So, he doesn't have P5 experience as a coach.  Perry was the same, if you'll recall.  Perry came from South Alabama. 

This guy was a punter in college; although, his resume is extremely puffed.  He only started one season at punter and never attempted so much as a PAT, according to Marshall stats. But, I'm not overly concerned about his special teams acumen.  Having been special teams coach at Southern and having been a punter for at least a bit, I trust he's designed and sat through a shit ton of special teams meetings enough to have some sort of philosophy about it. 

His other experience is cornerbacks at South Dakota, co-defensive coordinator at Arkansas-Pine Bluff.  One season each.

Running back is another issue altogether.  Perry did a great job there, and did have experience there.  So, nothing on the RB coach position. 

Does Littrell turn this over to Brad Davis?  If so, that gives Davis three balls to juggle:  run game coordinator, OL, and RB. 

Or, does he leave it unfilled/coached by committee, assuming a new QB will be able to throw 60+ times a game like he probably envisions his "Air Raid" that couldn't (wouldn't?) be done this season.   

I'm a tiny bit skeptical of this move; but, willing to see how it turns out...I mean, what other choice do we have?

Biagi is a heck of a special teams coach. Great hire from X's and O's standpoint! 

Remember, Littrell has had a hand in RB's personally at all of his stops. Maybe not in "title", but in duties and with his familiarity in coaching the position. Also, keep an eye out for a 10th assistant to be given RB's Coach title.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Biagi is a heck of a special teams coach. Great hire from X's and O's standpoint! 

Remember, Littrell has had a hand in RB's personally at all of his stops. Maybe not in "title", but in duties and with his familiarity in coaching the position. Also, keep an eye out for a 10th assistant to be given RB's Coach title.

When would the 10th assistant be allowed?

Also found this interesting from the article....5 years to play 4 1/3?

On the eligibility question, the AFCA proposed maintaining the five-for-four model — a player has five years to complete his four seasons of on-field eligibility — but with a twist: A student-athlete would be able to take a redshirt season in any year in which he participates in four or fewer games.

Just now, Cr1028 said:

When would the 10th assistant be allowed?

Also found this interesting from the article....5 years to play 4 1/3?

The 10th assistant deal should be formalized in the next few weeks. 

On the redshirt situation, 5 years to play 4 1/3 means a player can play in 3-4 games and still get his redshirt in any year. It's a twist on the campaign to allow redshirts to play in bowl games. This is less restrictive on the student athlete and coaches, and makes some sense. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1