Which rules are unlikely to change in the foreseeable future?

JesseMartin

I know this is a topic probably better served in the offseason, but the NFL's change in placement for extra point attempts has gotten me thinking.

Football has evolved quite a bit over the years, sometimes from changes in strategy or recruiting, and other times from rule changes. College ball sometimes reflects changes in the pros; at times, it's the other way around. Other times, rules remain disparate between the two.

The main thing that got me thinking about this was how the use of the forward pass over the years has developed so many successful air attacks and such inflated scores in games with heavy offenses and little defenses...could we see 10 yards for each set of downs eventually become 12 or even 15? This could lead to a more balanced focus on defense after a couple of years of lots of overtimes with 0-0 or 3-3 after regulation. But if you compare average D1 scores now with those of eras past, as well as gained yardage, it appears that proficiency in forward passing has inflated scores to the point that 10 yards has become a very simple obstacle in comparison to what it was years ago.

A 15-yard chain would hurt ground game / smashmouth offenses far more than spreads.  Army/Navy would really have a harder time sustaining drives.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA adopted the NFL's new rules for the try.  We would see some college teams go for 2 most of the time.

I would like to see flag-begging become unsportsmanlike.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Texas Stranger said:

it would end that immediately.  It uglies up the game and isn't done in any other sport

It's done in Basketball from what I have seen. Maybe not to the point like in FB but players complain to the officials about being held/fouled/not fouling during games.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Instant replay on the sidelines... Texas and Maine last two states that don't have it bc it isn't NCAA approved 

It cannot be used/not available at all levels of the high school game. That is why you wont see it in Texas.    

And Texas is better off for it. There are more football games played under NCAA rules on three Friday nights in Texas than there is for a whole season in the NCAA.  Talk to any NCAA football official that doesn't live in Texas. To a man they all wish other states would adopt NCAA rules.

However, you will see them become more strict in calling the use of the helmet to the head in tackling.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, DT 90 said:

It cannot be used/not available at all levels of the high school game. That is why you wont see it in Texas.    

And Texas is better off for it. There are more football games played under NCAA rules on three Friday nights in Texas than there is for a whole season in the NCAA.  Talk to any NCAA football official that doesn't live in Texas. To a man they all wish other states would adopt NCAA rules.

However, you will see them become more strict in calling the use of the helmet to the head in tackling.  

I don't think so, I see no problem with making it available.  There are systems available for 8-12 K that's part of a fundraiser and could help teams win.  It only enhances a coaches ability to make adjustments.  Why do you not like replay ability just curious? 

Also so are you saying the NCAA doesn't play by their rules or that Texas officials are better at their job than NCAA?

56 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Soccer...at least 15 times per match

and the fake injuries/flops soccer, they need some Hockey rules starting with embellishment/diving penalty. In hockey it is handed out and frankly an embarrassing penalty to get. 

Give Soccer a penalty box and kill the yellow/red card system,  just double the lengths of time from hockey because the game is slower. Then fix offsides as well. 

16 hours ago, Texas Stranger said:

A 15-yard chain would hurt ground game / smashmouth offenses far more than spreads.  Army/Navy would really have a harder time sustaining drives.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA adopted the NFL's new rules for the try.  We would see some college teams go for 2 most of the time.

I would like to see flag-begging become unsportsmanlike.

I was thinking about the smashmouth style of play even when I was writing that...that's why I was really thinking 12 yards would probably be more likely if they were ever to change it. Still not likely to ever happen...I was just trying to think of what might be a way to temper the trend of these insanely high scoring games where the scores look more like basketball than football.

Edited by JesseMartin

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 10:52 AM, GMG24 said:

I don't think so, I see no problem with making it available.  There are systems available for 8-12 K that's part of a fundraiser and could help teams win.  It only enhances a coaches ability to make adjustments.  Why do you not like replay ability just curious? 

Also so are you saying the NCAA doesn't play by their rules or that Texas officials are better at their job than NCAA?

Are you speaking of having the coaches have ability to review video of plays like NFL reviews photos? or have video replay of certain calls by the officials?   NFL does even allow video on the side line for coaching purposes.   If you are talking about replay of official's calls, I officiate high school football. Believe me, there a lots of high school programs that would love to have $12 K just have $12 K.

I don't like video replay because it makes you tentative in your calls. You have a "back up".  You are seeing things at game speed and making calls at game speed.  If you are going to use video to make the calls why have officials at all.

No. I mean that it is easier for the players and officials to transition to the next level.  I also run the chains at Baylor on Saturdays.  Most NCAA officials have been calling for 20-30 plus years.  There are quite a few though that are being fast tracked. I notice them getting younger and younger all the time and you wonder...... 

8 minutes ago, DT 90 said:

Are you speaking of having the coaches have ability to review video of plays like NFL reviews photos? or have video replay of certain calls by the officials?   NFL does even allow video on the side line for coaching purposes.   If you are talking about replay of official's calls, I officiate high school football. Believe me, there a lots of high school programs that would love to have $12 K just have $12 K.

I don't like video replay because it makes you tentative in your calls. You have a "back up".  You are seeing things at game speed and making calls at game speed.  If you are going to use video to make the calls why have officials at all.

No. I mean that it is easier for the players and officials to transition to the next level.  I also run the chains at Baylor on Saturdays.  Most NCAA officials have been calling for 20-30 plus years.  There are quite a few though that are being fast tracked. I notice them getting younger and younger all the time and you wonder...... 

I am talking about video replay for coaches and players to use during games not of officials that would be much too big of a mess (at HS level)  I heard they were going to be bringing it up for a rules change possibility this year.  As far as the sideline replay during games for coaches and players to use.  

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

I am talking about video replay for coaches and players to use during games not of officials that would be much too big of a mess (at HS level)  I heard they were going to be bringing it up for a rules change possibility this year.  As far as the sideline replay during games for coaches and players to use.  

Understood.  The capability and use of technology is far exceeding what the rules makers can envision. 

In baseball, a base coach cannot even use a tablet to track his batting order. However, teams are now allowed to video the game from the dug out, but it cannot be used to "coach" during the game.   

If you noticed Jim Harbaugh at Michigan still uses the old style head sets with cables during games.  He doesn't trust wireless headsets... "to easy to hack into"

1 minute ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Stop stopping the clock on first downs would be a GREAT place to start. It seems like every college game on primetime TV lasts at least 3 hours and 45 mins. Almost unwatchable at times.

TV always extends football games. Without TV games run closer to three hours.

I would like the NFL to adopt the 15 yard maximum penalty for pass interference and maybe change it a spot foul it the last 2 minutes of the game.  Clock stopping on first down should only happen in the last 3 minutes of each half.    

Collin Cowherd had a very interesting kickoff idea that might be safer and increase the number of onside kicks they I would like NFL to experiment with or the Sun Belt Conference to experiment with.  Move it up to the 40 or 45 yard line.  All kicks that travel in the air inside the 25  yard line would be dead balls like punts (unless muffed or fumbled during the return).  But kicking it out of bounds awards the ball 15 or 20 yards from the spot of the kickoff.  Basically the receiving team should receive the ball at their own 40 if the ball is kicked out of bounds or at the spot it went out bounds plus 5 yards for the receiving team.  For instance if the kicking team attempts an onside kick that goes out of bounds at the receiving team's 42 yard line the , the receiving team get the ball the 47 yard line.

I would like the begging for a call rule to be enforced like a delay of game.   Five yard dead ball foul for the offense or defense.  Second offense by the same player is either 10 yard penalty and automatic first down for a call against the defense or a 10 yard dead ball foul against the offense.

Lastly let these guy celebrate touchdowns, sacks and change of possession.  These player work and dream their whole lives to make those plays and most of them will be luck to make more than a handful of them at the FBS level for their entire career in Football.   And when excessive celebration is called it should only be a 5 yard penalty the first call on a team.  That ramps up to 10 and finally 15 yards in successive calls agains the same team.  Taunting should be 10 to 15 yards always and possible ejection if the refs deem it worthy of ejection. 

6 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Stop stopping the clock on first downs would be a GREAT place to start. It seems like every college game on primetime TV lasts at least 3 hours and 45 mins. Almost unwatchable at times.

Instant replay official review accounts for a lot of this.  In my mind, instant replay was created to keep a team from getting screwed by a horrible call, not to slow a play down to see where the ball was when a players knee hit the ground.  Instant replay officials should get about 30 seconds to review the call.  If it's not obvious within 30 seconds the play stands as called.  Nothing wears me out more that the replay officials spending 3 minutes looking at a play...and then get it wrong.

Also, if there is going to be review then review everything.  How many times have we seen pass interference calls blown and there's nothing that can be done about it.  Judgement call my a$$, basically every call is a judgement call.

As you can see, I'm not a fan of instant replay in its current form.

There is no such thing as the refs controlling the tempo. If you watch NCAA or NFL they basically work the same speed regardless of huddle or no huddle. It is that way so not to give benefit to either side.  TV time outs at specific times of the quarters are what extends the games. time only stops very briefly one first downs in NCAA and doesn't stop in NFL until the last two minutes of the half.

Edited by DT 90