Let's add another statue

Hunter Green

I had a class with the North Texas iconic 'Fessor Floyd Graham his last semester to teach.  (He had been at UNT since 1928).   ANYHOOOO......  I had just transferred from Alvin JUCO mostly because my (then) girlfriend attended TWU.   I really didn't know much about North Texas as I grew up in the SWC-dominated Houston area, but Fessor' Graham got my undivided attention one morning when he told our class:  "Let me tell you young whipper'snappers the time I put Roy Orbison AND Pat Boone in a male quartet up here."   I just about fell out of my chair! 

I thought to myself:   "Pat Boone & Roy Orbison:  Only 2 pioneers of Rock & Roll, that's all! "   Many on this forum will hate Boone's politics, but hope we can be big people & not demonize him for that in statue talk.   Pat Boone once had a restaurant in Denton on University Drive where Western National Bank (or whatever name it is now) is located. He did invest in the Denton community when so many of our rich & famous did not. 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Was watching the Tech game last night when the camera crew showed the statue of Buddy Holly that's on campus there. I know we have a Joe Greene statue being discussed for Apogee, but perhaps the music department, or others, could propose a statue of, say, Roy Orbison. Nice tribute to a rock and roll legend with North Texas ties and good pub for the University. Thoughts?

GO MEAN GREEN!

DON Henley!!!

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

DON Henley!!!

Which begs the question...who's the bigger star/legend in the world of music. Arguments can be made both ways. I vote for Orbison only because his music has stood the test of time, much like the Beatles.

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

Was watching the Tech game last night when the camera crew showed the statue of Buddy Holly that's on campus there. I know we have a Joe Greene statue being discussed for Apogee, but perhaps the music department, or others, could propose a statue of, say, Roy Orbison. Nice tribute to a rock and roll legend with North Texas ties and good pub for the University. Thoughts?

GO MEAN GREEN!

No man, Meatloaf. The loaf all the way.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Which begs the question...who's the bigger star/legend in the world of music. Arguments can be made both ways. I vote for Orbison only because his music has stood the test of time, much like the Beatles.

I would argue The Eagles/Henley's music has stood the test of time better than Orbison's. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I would argue The Eagles/Henley's music has stood the test of time better than Orbison's. 

Perhaps. But you have to admit, a statute of Orbison with that haircut and sunglasses would be classic.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Hotel Cal is still the top selling album of all time... Let's create a music section!!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

How about NO! A musician, sir!

Peter Weller was a jazz trumpeter while at NTSU; he made it all the way up to the Three O'Clock.

He actually plays weekly in a lounge quartet with Jeff Goldblum.

9 minutes ago, rws69 said:

The School of Music (I was not part of that) should have a statue garden with Floyd Graham, Roy Orbison, Pat Boone, Don Henley, and possibly some of the jazz musicians that went on to high-profile musical careers.

*College of Music.

Also, hahahahahahahahahahaha.

No.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Is the Buddy Holley statue on the Tech Campus?  I thought it was in Downtown Lubbock.

10 hours ago, Mean Green Eagle said:

Peter Weller in full Robocop gear?

9 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

How about NO! A musician, sir!

Buckaroo Banzai, then.

5 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Peter Weller was a jazz trumpeter while at NTSU; he made it all the way up to the Three O'Clock.

He actually plays weekly in a lounge quartet with Jeff Goldblum.

Well, there it is. ;)

20 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Orbison was a much bigger singular star than Don Henley.  I love the Eagles but only one of them went to NT. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

Orbison was a much bigger singular star than Don Henley.  I love the Eagles but only one of them went to NT. 

According to their wikipedia pages,  Orbison had 30 Billboard top 100 songs.  Henley, as a solo artist, had 15.  Henley had 24 more as a member of the Eagles.

Both are very accomplished.   Neither need a statue on campus.

• Upvote 2