Let's add another statue

Hunter Green

8 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If you're going to go statue, I think it would be better to lean to graduates. 

An alumni is dictionary defined as someone who graduated from or attended a university.  

Though to be fair I think the first thing we need to worry about when it comes to statuary is getting the Mean Joe Greene statue done.  

7 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

An alumni is dictionary defined as someone who graduated from or attended a university.  

Though to be fair I think the first thing we need to worry about when it comes to statuary is getting the Mean Joe Greene statue done.  

considering we named the team after him and all.......... i kid i kid

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

Orbison was a much bigger singular star than Don Henley.  I love the Eagles but only one of them went to NT. 

Elvis Presley once said that Roy Orbison was the only artist he would not follow on a stage...that's enough praise for me to think it would be awesome to do. He certainly had a much bigger effect on rock and roll than Buddy Holly did...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Elvis Presley once said that Roy Orbison was the only artist he would not follow on a stage...that's enough praise for me to think it would be awesome to do. He certainly had a much bigger effect on rock and roll than Buddy Holly did...

For all the "yutes" out there who may not know the greatness of Orbison. And there's so many more.

• Upvote 2

On 10/23/2016 at 10:23 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

I had a class with the North Texas iconic 'Fessor Floyd Graham his last semester to teach.  (He had been at UNT since 1928).   ANYHOOOO......  I had just transferred from Alvin JUCO mostly because my (then) girlfriend attended TWU.   I really didn't know much about North Texas as I grew up in the SWC-dominated Houston area, but Fessor' Graham got my undivided attention one morning when he told our class:  "Let me tell you young whipper'snappers the time I put Roy Orbison AND Pat Boone in a male quartet up here."   I just about fell out of my chair! 

I thought to myself:   "Pat Boone & Roy Orbison:  Only 2 pioneers of Rock & Roll, that's all! "   Many on this forum will hate Boone's politics, but hope we can be big people & not demonize him for that in statue talk.   Pat Boone once had a restaurant in Denton on University Drive where Western National Bank (or whatever name it is now) is located. He did invest in the Denton community when so many of our rich & famous did not. 

ok, roy orbison is a rock n' roll pioneer, but your joking about pat boone, right?  i might of missed your sarcasm.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/24/2016 at 8:58 AM, golfingomez said:

This is where i WILL fart...

OK great MG fan golfingomez...George Dunham is also a great North Texas alum.  He (like you & me) bleeds green. He has been passionate about North Texas & was maybe the only one on KTCK 1310 The Ticket who would for years stand up for the Mean Green.  

George was superb as the Voice of the Mean Green & I know all the Bill Mercer stories about all this but seems to me George & Bill have buried the hatchet?  Shouldn't we all aim to do that kind thing eventually?  To carry on a grudge for a lifetime is a waste of time & mental energy.   

I've heard a few play by play guys here in the Southwest beginning with Astros/UH Coogs broadcaster Gene Elston in the 1960's & George Dunham was easily comparable.   If he'd been broadcasting with a winning program he probably would have won some broadcasting awards & I'm serious as a heart attack about that.  I know some don't like George for touting Hank D. as AD, but it was his right to do so.

Say what you wanna' say about Hank Dickenson, too, but I find him to be a good color man on the MGRN  & yes, some of us have had a few differences with him thru the years, but so what-- I have differences with some of my kinfolk, too. 

GMG! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

7 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I know some don't like George for touting Hank D. as AD, but it was his right to do so.

1)  The tension in the room that day was immense.

2)  George got indignant during his impassioned plea, nay, demand that Hank get the job.

3)  It's only been a couple months and is still fresh in a lot of memories.

If George accepts the future of UNT athletics with grace and never says another word about how Hank should've gotten the job, this water will eventually pass under the bridge.  But right now, the wounds are still open and raw. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

OK great MG fan golfingomez...George Dunham is also a great North Texas alum.  He (like you & me) bleeds green. He has been passionate about North Texas & was maybe the only one on KTCK 1310 The Ticket who would for years stand up for the Mean Green.  

George was superb as the Voice of the Mean Green & I know all the Bill Mercer stories about all this but seems to me George & Bill have buried the hatchet?  Shouldn't we all aim to do that kind thing eventually?  To carry on a grudge for a lifetime is a waste of time & mental energy.   

I've heard a few play by play guys here in the Southwest since following Astros/UH Coogs broadcaster Gene Elston in the 1960's & George Dunham was easily comparable.   If he'd been broadcasting with a winning program he probably would have won some broadcasting awards & I'm serious as a heart attack about that.  I know some don't like George for touting Hank D. as AD, but it was his right to do so.

Say what you wanna' say about Hank Dickenson, too, but I find him to be a good color man on the MGRN  & yes, some of us have had a few differences with him thru the years, but so what-- I have differences with some of my kinfolk, too. 

GMG! 

I wish George would still broadcast our games... miss him so much.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I like George fine, but going from one of the greatest singers of all time; Orbison to Dunham is quite a leap.  

It would be great if NT had a HOF for non-athletics alums that could constantly have great music by the musicians in the group.     And I don't care how long they were actually at NT.   Roy Orbison and Larry McMurtry would be at the fore front as far as I am concerned.   An aside, Pat Boone was one of the biggest stars around during his day.  

Few schools if any can match NT when it comes to entertainment icons.   A  HOF or museum dedicated to outstanding alumnus would have been a great fit in the new Union Building.   A must see on any campus tour.   

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

ok, roy orbison is a rock n' roll pioneer, but your joking about pat boone, right?  i might of missed your sarcasm.

Not really advocating a Pat Boone statue at all  since he graduated from Columbia U, but a WikiPedia piece on Charles Eugene "Pat" Boone has some pretty interesting things on what Billboard says about Boone's record sales, his ABC-TV Chevy Show, his book sales & the fact that Elvis once opened for Pat at a 1955 show in Cleveland, Ohio.  

I play a Roy Orbison song or 2 at almost every event I DJ & make a point to tell many SWC/Big 12 school alums which college in Denton, Texas, he attended.  Did an Aggie wedding last Saturday night & shared a vignette about Roy.  Do the same when I play Eli Young Band & how they all met at Clark Hall dorm on campus. 

Orbison had a son who used to live here in Weatherford according to a friend who owns Craig's Music & is also mayor of Wea'ford. IDJ: soundworksdeejay.com

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

If George accepts the future of UNT athletics with grace and never says another word about how Hank should've gotten the job, this water will eventually pass under the bridge.  But right now, the wounds are still open and raw. 

George has attended each home game, still has multiple Club Seat tickets, makes his Mean Green Club donations, serves with me on the College of Arts and Sciences Advisory Board and has attended the Tuesday Coach Littrell Radio Shows.  I think your question has pretty much been answered regarding his acceptance of the future of UNT Athletics.  And, as yet, I have not heard him mention anything regarding the fact that Hank was not selected as our new AD.  He remains very passionate about UNT and not just UNT Athletics. from what I have seen.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

George has attended each home game, still has multiple Club Seat tickets, makes his Mean Green Club donations, serves with me on the College of Arts and Sciences Advisory Board and has attended the Tuesday Coach Littrell Radio Shows.  I think your question has pretty much been answered regarding his acceptance of the future of UNT Athletics.  And, as yet, I have not heard him mention anything regarding the fact that Hank was not selected as our new AD.  He remains very passionate about UNT and not just UNT Athletics. from what I have seen.

And I don't see Roy Orbison doing any of those things, so good on George.

• Upvote 6

Roy sang the music of many of we Baby Boomer's formative years.  He passed not so long after he recorded "You Got It."  The Beatles loved Orbison & I think he even toured with them at one point.  

Music can take you back to long ago memory moments for sure, but I remember hearing Roy's  "Only the Lonely" from a transistor radio before one of my Little League baseball practices.  

Roy once said in an article that he started experimenting with his "out of this orbit" high octave falsetto singing range  while at North Texas.

Late UNT Fessor' Floyd Graham spoke highly of both Pat Boone & Roy, but between the 2 Orbison would be my choice for a statue on our campus.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Not really advocating a Pat Boone statue at all  since he graduated from Columbia U, but a WikiPedia piece on Charles Eugene "Pat" Boone has some pretty interesting things on what Billboard says about Boone's record sales, his ABC-TV Chevy Show, his book sales & the fact that Elvis once opened for Pat at a 1955 show in Cleveland, Ohio.  

I play a Roy Orbison song or 2 at almost every event I DJ & make a point to tell many SWC/Big 12 school alums which college in Denton, Texas, he attended.  Did an Aggie wedding last Saturday night & shared a vignette about Roy.  Do the same when I play Eli Young Band & how they all met at Clark Hall dorm on campus. 

Orbison had a son who used to live here in Weatherford according to a friend who owns Craig's Music & is also mayor of Wea'ford. IDJ: soundworksdeejay.com

sorry, i wasn't arguing his relevance, but that you called him rock n' roll. :)

The people on this board to really don't understand how well known Pat Boone was since his greatest years were the late 1950's to early 1960's and most people here can't remember those years (were not born) .... .. I remember Roy Orbison very well as well but Boone was much better known in that era and sold a lot more music and crossed over into acting as well. He was in a lot of movies....  Boone was the second largest artist of the late 1950s, behind only Elvis Presley but ahead of Ricky Nelson and The Platters, (according to below..)  Rock and Roll started in Mid '50's ... before then was Perry Como, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby,  type music....  Pat Boone was a transitional type musician... he fit the old style some and also rock and roll later. 

read this... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Boone

Boone still holds the Billboard record for spending 220 consecutive weeks [ more than 4 years] on the charts with one or more songs each week. ....  Not mentioned that I saw in the article..  was that he also holds the record for the longest period between #1 songs with the last one being in 1997. Cher holds that record for a woman artist. . 

He later became a religious fanatic which turned a lot of people off .... but he absolutely has been the most famous musician from UNT. ----  Don Henley ... most people really don't know who he is ... the Eagles --- yes --- but not his name. . ----ask people to name the Beatles and most can somewhat... the Eagles ... nope ] 

How did this get into football section..?? 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1