Let's add another statue

Hunter Green

7 hours ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

The people on this board to really don't understand how well known Pat Boone was since his greatest years were the late 1950's to early 1960's and most people here can't remember those years (were not born) .... .. I remember Roy Orbison very well as well but Boone was much better known in that era and sold a lot more music and crossed over into acting as well. He was in a lot of movies....  Boone was the second largest artist of the late 1950s, behind only Elvis Presley but ahead of Ricky Nelson and The Platters, (according to below..)  Rock and Roll started in Mid '50's ... before then was Perry Como, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby,  type music....  Pat Boone was a transitional type musician... he fit the old style some and also rock and roll later. 

read this... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Boone

Boone still holds the Billboard record for spending 220 consecutive weeks [ more than 4 years] on the charts with one or more songs each week. ....  Not mentioned that I saw in the article..  was that he also holds the record for the longest period between #1 songs with the last one being in 1997. Cher holds that record for a woman artist. . 

He later became a religious fanatic which turned a lot of people off .... but he absolutely has been the most famous musician from UNT. ----  Don Henley ... most people really don't know who he is ... the Eagles --- yes --- but not his name. . ----ask people to name the Beatles and most can somewhat... the Eagles ... nope ] 

How did this get into football section..?? 

Statue talk at Apogee or on campus?

AND......Pat Boone did sing the national anthem at Apogee's grand opening.

He once attended a Mean Green Club function on campus & I remember that the late Bill Vogel gave him one of those apple green flying worm caps to wear which he seemed to wear proudly in all the photos.   

For a Columbia U grad, Boone has given many KUDOS to North Texas because he & wife Shirley always said "Denton and North Texas will always have a special place in our hearts."  I think most of their daughters were even born at old Flow Memorial Hospital, too. 

• Upvote 1

UNT has only one football player that made the NFL Hall of fame....  Joe Greene.   He also was a first round and top five NFL pick also plus an All-American ... If an athletic statue goes up .. it should be him.... Most other Texas colleges have just one or two  NFL HOF players also... Baylor has two, Aggies one, Tech has one, TCU maybe two, but SMU and Texas have several ... but  most  of those played a long time ago.... 50's and beyond. Pretty sure the numbers I quoted are correct... I looked that up several months ago. The surprise to me was Texas A&I [Now A&M Kingsville] They have 2 or 3... 

1 hour ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

UNT has only one football player that made the NFL Hall of fame....  Joe Greene.   He also was a first round and top five NFL pick also plus an All-American ... If an athletic statue goes up .. it should be him.... Most other Texas colleges have just one or two  NFL HOF players also... Baylor has two, Aggies one, Tech has one, TCU maybe two, but SMU and Texas have several ... but  most  of those played a long time ago.... 50's and beyond. Pretty sure the numbers I quoted are correct... I looked that up several months ago. The surprise to me was Texas A&I [Now A&M Kingsville] They have 2 or 3... 

AS someone posted before. They are not mutually exclusive. Greene at Apogee, Orbison at the music building. 

There.