No hating on Fine

Andrew

48 minutes ago, Andrew said:

He threw for over 300 yards and completed 61% of his passes. He threw a TD and zero interceptions. In the stat book he had a better night than Stockstill who many considering a top of the line QB for our conference. Fine did all of this with an atrocious offensive line and no help from the run game. The playbook was the mode impressive but Mason Fine had a hell of a night for a true freshman against the best team in conference. 

I hope Stockstill is able to get over his Moral Loss (I guess that what you call it when the other guy has a Moral Victory) :huh:

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

49 minutes ago, Andrew said:

He threw for over 300 yards and completed 61% of his passes. He threw a TD and zero interceptions. In the stat book he had a better night than Stockstill who many considering a top of the line QB for our conference. Fine did all of this with an atrocious offensive line and no help from the run game. The playbook was the mode impressive but Mason Fine had a hell of a night for a true freshman against the best team in conference. 

Where is the quick pitch and where was Ivery!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Where is the quick pitch and where was Ivery!

Unsure. We had quite a few screen passes but I don't remember a single option play (although I believe we ran one where Wilson was dropped for a loss but Fine had the option to keep it). This question should be asked at the coaches show. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

Maybe be different if Fine was chewing them out.. would like to see him just get up one play and go off on them, and hope that lights a fire under them 

If it was for lack of effort, this might work... but that isn't it, and doing that would just make it worse.  People generally don't respond to well to that... unless for not giving it your all. 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Travis said:

If it was for lack of effort, this might work... but that isn't it, and doing that would just make it worse.  People generally don't respond to well to that... unless for not giving it your all. 

I'm just going say, with the # of sacks and hits fine has taken.. he needs to give them a spark.. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Manifesto Time!

Mason is just Fine. He is relentless with the way he just keeps on coming back. ➡️ We don't have to spend the next 3 years "slowly" developing a QB project & hope it works out.  ✳️ WE HAVE A QB, FOLKS, DON'T KNOCK IT--ENJOY IT!  A few good breaks tonight, better officiating & that game is a toss up. Some pick MUTS to win it all, folks. 

Their team speed on both sides of the ball ate us up. 

One perspective mentioned previously:

My Junior year (1975) we thought we had a winner.                                                It was future College Football Hall of Famer Hayden Fry's 3'rd year at North Texas & things were really looking up.  Our season opener was against the Oklahoma State Cowboys & they slobber-knocked us 60 something to 7.  It was a demoralizing loss, yet did that team mail it in after that massacre? No, later that season they'd  beat Bill Yeoman's U of Houston Cougars  28-0 & then beat a 6 & 5 Tennessee Volunteers team 14-7--arguably still our biggest all time win since the SEC UT Vols would have been a bowl team if there'd been as many bowls as present day; of course, so would the Mean Green have been in a 1975 bowl, too.  Fry said he'd stayed at North Texas had his better teams been rewarded with bowl invites--we just had Fry 20 years too early at UNT with all the bowls we have now.

✳️Note: North Texas' win over the Vols cost HFC Bill Battle his job, but he turned his lemons into lemonade when he became an entrepreneur & started College Licensing whose label can be seen on all NCAA sportswear.  Maybe he should have thanked us? LOL!

GMG!

Part 2:  Just need to recruit like there's no tomorrow.  Why not--everyone else does.  It makes me ill that our previous staff didn't recruit better classes having the best damn stadium in Conference-USA to recruit toward & the fact that UNT by many would be considered an easy sell.   Fry could sell a comb to a bald-headed man or a refrigerator to an Eskimo.  He lifted our school out of the "teachers college" designation  more than anyone prior at the chagrin of some of the older Denton nestors who wanted to keep it business as usual or...DON'T ROCK OUR SWEET SITUATION WITH "OUR" 2 UNIVERSITIES & COZY LITTLE DEAL WE HAVE UP HERE. (Well, Fry sorta' did). 

The word for the McCarney staff is ......SQUANDERED. 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

For a true freshman, Mason did well.

Our O-line had yet another bad night. They couldn't run block for anything, and their pass blocking was shaky too. Our backs were getting hit at the line of scrim age all night. Our WRs also need to do a better job of picking up blocks. The defense played well considering they spent all night on the field, but they did a terrible job of stopping 3rd down conversions. I thought we did a terrible job of adjusting to what MT was doing. Harrell's play calling was lacking.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

Our O-line had yet another bad night. They couldn't run block for anything, and their pass blocking was shaky too. Our backs were getting hit at the line of scrim age all night. Our WRs also need to do a better job of picking up blocks. The defense played well considering they spent all night on the field, but they did a terrible job of stopping 3rd down conversions. I thought we did a terrible job of adjusting to what MT was doing. Harrell's play calling was lacking.

Yes, our O-line had a bad night, but we didn't offer any threat to keep the MUTS from stacking the box.  The MT defense coaches did a great job of taking away any offensive plays that had a chance at success, and Harrell didn't adjust.  Until we can stretch the field, we should expect a lot of the same defensive looks.  I was impressed with Mason's composure with 8-9 in the box.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, casual fan said:

Question:  How do you put unrelenting pressure on the shoulders a freshman QB???

Answer:  Rush for 5 total yards on 22 carries for an average of 0.2 yards per carry.

Mason was Fine the running game wasn't.

We didn't really try to run the ball like we did against Rice. 10 of the attempts were from Fine. 4 of those were sacks. Our running backs only rushed the ball 12 times. J.Wilson should be getting 15-20 a game himself.

• Upvote 2

The MUTs were able to cheat up, and push our OLine back all night. If you can't make holes and you can't protect your QB for more than a quarter of a second the offense is going to have problems both in the air and on the ground. 

After the first series they figured it out that they could own our OLine and dared us to go deep on them and stacked the box.  Which our QB just about never had time to get the deep pass off with any form. The good news is I doubt most of the teams left on our schedule will be able to push our Oline around as much as they did. 

MTSU stacked the box and ran man most of the night. The passing game picked up a lot of stats once the game went to 23-7 and out of reach . If you saw the game you saw the consecutive 3 and outs and the difficulty Mason had in the pocket. He looked like a true freshman and struggled tonight. The play calling didn't help or at least it looked that way (I don't know if he checked out of a lot of plays ).  There will be growing pains, that was evident tonight and that includes the coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

Maybe be different if Fine was chewing them out.. would like to see him just get up one play and go off on them, and hope that lights a fire under them 

That will come with experience and maturity.

• Upvote 1

What I wonder is why they do not use a misdirection play with Fine? Every time he hands the ball off with the running back and blockers running in one direction, there is nobody from the opposing team on the other end of the play. With his quickness, he could waltz 20 yards by keeping the ball and running a naked reverse in the other direction. At the Rice game, there were times when there would have been 40 open yards on the other side of the field because they were keying so much on Wilson.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Eagleisland said:

What I wonder is why they do not use a misdirection play with Fine? Every time he hands the ball off with the running back and blockers running in one direction, there is nobody from the opposing team on the other end of the play. With his quickness, he could waltz 20 yards by keeping the ball and running a naked reverse in the other direction. At the Rice game, there were times when there would have been 40 open yards on the other side of the field because they were keying so much on Wilson.

This!

There was one play in particular that I believe he had the option to keep it based on the set up but he did not. The D all cheated to their right and he had a good 15 yard gap on his right he could have taken it. Instead Wilson got stuffed for a two yard lose. 

• Upvote 2