GAME DAY CROWD

djohnnie

I was relatively impressed with the turn out. The student section fell flat. My dad and I have always wondered why the frats/sororities don't make it mandatory to show up to home games , especially your rush class. This could account for at least several hundred kids  

Hope people realize the improvement this team is making and just show up to see what the future may bring. Really proud of these kids and how they performed. Not a win, lots of room for improvement but this team comes prepared and ready to play every week. For once in the history of the program, I wish our fan base would just show up and support these hard working kids.  

• Upvote 5

Not sure if true, the word floating around tailgate was that the UNT police were cracking down on all students thought to be underage drinking. Regardless of behavior, and even checking cups of anyone appearing under age to see if it smelled like alcohol. Not sure why this would be necessary, if true it is just sad in my opinion.   So a bit of a boycott was in action it seems. Once again just hearsay whether there is any truth to this I am not sure. 

35 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Not sure if true, the word floating around tailgate was that the UNT police were cracking down on all students thought to be underage drinking. Regardless of behavior, and even checking cups of anyone appearing under age to see if it smelled like alcohol. Not sure why this would be necessary, if true it is just sad in my opinion.   So a bit of a boycott was in action it seems. Once again just hearsay whether there is any truth to this I am not sure. 

Ah...so that's what happened.  There were PD at the entrances to the parking lots and had one car pulled over and several occupants sitting along the curb over by the Warranch Tennis Complex.

Rick

• Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Ah...so that's what happened.  There were PD at the entrances to the parking lots and had one car pulled over and several occupants sitting along the curb over by the Warranch Tennis Complex.

Rick

I saw that situation but didn't comprehend what was happening. I thought it strange that I passed through two checkpoints and no one asked to take my parking stub. They just waved me on through.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Withers940 said:

I was relatively impressed with the turn out. The student section fell flat. My dad and I have always wondered why the frats/sororities don't make it mandatory to show up to home games , especially your rush class. This could account for at least several hundred kids  

Hope people realize the improvement this team is making and just show up to see what the future may bring. Really proud of these kids and how they performed. Not a win, lots of room for improvement but this team comes prepared and ready to play every week. For once in the history of the program, I wish our fan base would just show up and support these hard working kids.  

How do you know fraternities and sororities are not in attendance?

7 hours ago, risinggreen said:

It's really sad how few show up in Denton from fellow CUSA schools. I think we even had more people show up from opposing schools back in the old 1AA Southland days. MWC please.

While that can be a bit frustrating, it's not the opposing team's job to fill up your stadium. By that logic, we should never sell out since we have opponents from Florida and Connecticut. There a no excuse for a school as big as UNT in an area as large as Denton and ultimately the DFW metroplex, to have this much trouble filling a 30k seat stadium and drawing over 25k regularly.

UNT has to change the culture towards sports and the best way of course is to win. There's nothing else that will work. Now if UNT wins big and nobody still shows up, then that's when many questions need to be asked.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

While that can be a bit frustrating, it's not the opposing team's job to fill up your stadium. By that logic, we should never sell out since we have opponents from Florida and Connecticut. There a no excuse for a school as big as UNT in an area as large as Denton and ultimately the DFW metroplex, to have this much trouble filling a 30k seat stadium and drawing over 25k regularly.

UNT has to change the culture towards sports and the best way of course is to win. There's nothing else that will work. Now if UNT wins big and nobody still shows up, then that's when many questions need to be asked.

Did hell freeze over? I actually not only agree with this, it is absolutely correct. 

The real problem is there are more than enough target costumers out there to fill our stadium 5 times over, but we try to blame the customer for not buying the product. If the product is worth buying there will not be an issue. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

A ton of students sit in the end zone with their families on family weekend.

This was a big part of it. The lower end zone bowl was packed with people who had matching white shirts, which were the family weekend shirts. I think this accounts for the perceived smaller student turn out.

Does anyone know what kind of community outreach tickets are CURRENTLY given out for the wing if any?  E.g., Denton ISD students, YMCA kiddos etc... back when we were U of H season ticket holders an entire end zone would be filled with kids like that.  Free tickets to the game, probably got bussed there too.  

I know now this idea has been kicked around quite a bit on here.  Totally should be happening.  Win for everybody. 

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

How do you know fraternities and sororities are not in attendance?

I'm not saying they aren't, I'm just saying if the showed up the way they should, the student section would be a lot more populated. The Greeks aren't really the issue, the issue is trying to get as many of the 34,000 enrolled students to the game 

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Let's not start blaming Greek life for lack of student turnout. I'm guessing there are about 1,200 in a school of 38,000. At the very least they give us a respectable tailgating scene and a good amount of them do go to games. That's more than I can say for the typical UNT student. 

My feelings exactly.  The are an easy target because they are visible, but they are far from the problem considering the size of our student body.