I don't think Mac would have offered Fine

Harry

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

IMO, with this offense in TX you should not have a need for a JUCO/Grad Transfer QB.

I agree. Now that we run an offense that looks a lot like what 95% of the TX HS offenses run, we should get better QBs from the HS ranks. Vizza came here because Dodge ran an offense that was made for him--Vizza just didn't realize that the OL here was going to get him beat to a pulp in a stadium that was below the level of what he played in at Alamo Heights.

Give Fine time--and I mean years in this system. It wouldn't surprise me to see him be the current version of Scott Davis, Mitch Maher, or Scott Hall--all UNT QBs that played a lot as freshmen and showed tons of heart in the entirety of their careers here.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

18 hours ago, Harry said:

It's just a testament to the ability of these coaches to identify and attract talent. 

Fine would have never made it into the Mac scheme because of his height.  He would have come up short to guys like Connor Mean etc.

I don't think our defensive recruiting under Mac was as big an issue although I really like the types of player Ekeler is luring in here.

It's exciting for the future of the program because there are so many great players who get overlooked due to measurables.

Mac and Can never brought in a college Qb. To me this is what cost them their jobs! Go out and get the best Qb under 6' give him a shot. Doesn't work move him to slot!! GMG 

27 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Mac and Can never brought in a college Qb. To me this is what cost them their jobs! Go out and get the best Qb under 6' give him a shot. Doesn't work move him to slot!! GMG 

Lack of a quality QB is almost always a coach killer.

I would just say find the best QB. (Don't worry about height so much, though taller is better if two talents are equal)

13 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Sorry didn't mean to say JUCO meant Grad transfer. 

You can never have enough QBs and competition. 

If Fine is successful like over 2500 yards passing and around 60% completion percentage with a good TD to INT ratio they will probably feel good with just Pearson, Fine, OHara and walkons. Managing the games, protecting the ball, and all the intangibles are not enough to warrant a successful year. He's got to produce big.

And 2500 yards is low for what kind of production should come from a QB in this offense. 

Thats just my bad analysis. 

This was truly a bad statement by myself. After studying the numbers of other true fr QB's dating back to 2013 I think if he put up the numbers I mentioned above it would mean he is probably headed for an all conf/all american career. With the talent around him it would be a miracle if he threw for 2500 yards. I would consider it a success if he throws for close to 2000 yards, a TD to INT ratio of a little above or right at 1 to 1. I do think his completion percentage should be close to 60 maybe not 60 but above 55.

I apologize for putting out unreal expectations. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

This was truly a bad statement by myself. After studying the numbers of other true fr QB's dating back to 2013 I think if he put up the numbers I mentioned above it would mean he is probably headed for an all conf/all american career. With the talent around him it would be a miracle if he threw for 2500 yards. I would consider it a success if he throws for close to 2000 yards, a TD to INT ratio of a little above or right at 1 to 1. I do think his completion percentage should be close to 60 maybe not 60 but above 55.

I apologize for putting out unreal expectations. 

The last 3  seasons of Litrells offenses have produced a QB with 2500+ yards. I just don't think It applies since Fine is a TFr and isn't exactly slinging it behind our best OL ever.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

From a very reliable source, what cost them their jobs were that not all the coaches were even recruiting.  In fact, one coordinator only accepted the job if he didn't have to go outside the Denton City Limits to recruit.  

Gray Eagle kept posting on this forum since Apogee opened that our recruiting was sub par.  Guess we know why as more is divulged.

Anyway, time to move forward with Coach Littrell & Company!   The future looks bright the more I hear & read.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

From a very reliable source, what cost them their jobs were that not all the coaches were even recruiting.  In fact, one coordinator only accepted the job if he didn't have to go outside the Denton City Limits to recruit.  

Gray Eagle kept posting on this forum since Apogee opened that our recruiting was sub par.  Guess we know why as more is divulged.

Anyway, time to move forward with Coach Littrell & Company!   The future looks bright the more I hear & read.

GMG!

That's 1-11 bull***t 

Mac never capitalized on the short success he had here. I bet there was a plethora of QBs around 6' that would've jumped at a chance to play for NT after the HoD Bowl.  His ridiculous height requirement and best bud's son in his hip pocket clouded his judgement. 

Fine so far has been a good get for SL. I hope it's the start of good QB's getting in line to play here.....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Mac never capitalized on the short success he had here. I bet there was a plethora of QBs around 6' that would've jumped at a chance to play for NT after the HoD Bowl.  His ridiculous height requirement and best bud's son in his hip pocket clouded his judgement. 

Fine so far has been a good get for SL. I hope it's the start of good QB's getting in line to play here.....

Interesting take with this.

Philadelphia Eagle’s head coach Chip Kelly once wrote, “If the quarterback is not tall, look at his hands. That is the biggest coaching point to finding a quarterback. How big are his hands, and how well can he control the football? The height of the quarterback is not the important thing. No one playing quarterback throws over the line. They throw through lanes in the linemen. The important thing is the size of their hands.”

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Philadelphia Eagle’s head coach Chip Kelly once wrote, “If the quarterback is not tall, look at his hands. That is the biggest coaching point to finding a quarterback. How big are his hands, and how well can he control the football? The height of the quarterback is not the important thing. No one playing quarterback throws over the line. They throw through lanes in the linemen. The important thing is the size of their hands.”

Chip Kelly knows much more football than I, but I'm pretty sure QBs have to throw over the line every now and then.

On September 13, 2016 at 10:25 PM, DeepGreen said:

We, as UNT fans over the bleakest years of FBS football, have become "numb" when watching QB's play for the Mean Green.   The only decent QB's we've had in recent years were Hall and Derek Thompson, and they had a very good supporting cast.  Fine has only two games for his "body of work".  He looks like he could work out for us "if we can keep him healthy".  And that is my biggest fear.

Giovanni Vizza was pretty darn good. That is easy to forget with him being a quitter and all.

15 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

When Mac got here, he was so full of positivity and really talked up North Texas. He really thought we were a South Florida starter kit, where he went immediately after getting fired by ISU and before moving on to Florida. He saw USF rise up super fast as a program within a talent-rich state and within a large metro are. He had no idea what kind of apathy he was about to face when he got here. By the time he realized it, it was pretty much all over. He almost overnight became the Dickster 2.0, bemoaning how hard it was to recruit here and how our reputation was so bad within the TX HS ranks. The way things ended, albeit quicker than most assumed it would, was almost predestined after the HoD Bowl win and all of the Dodge recruits graduated, especially Derek Thompson. I will say that RV's laziness didn't help Mac's situation--seeing our season ticket numbers DROP after finally having a great season in 2013 must have been incredibly disheartening to all involved on the coaching staff.

Littrell is such a breath of fresh air--and I'll admit it reminds me of how I felt when Dodge got hired and he was so well-known for an exciting approach to the game. Obviously, Dodge had no idea how to run a college program, but his reputation helped with recruits and it did help us get Apogee built, as he held the university's foot to the fire on what was promised to him when he took the job. Littrell seems to understand what modern college football looks like and how his offense can thrive with the right parts, both players and coaches. Time will tell if he can turn this around, but even if he can't, I still feel like he will have built this thing back up to a level that isn't bottom-of-the-barrel like he inherited. He has a bright future in coaching, especially if he turns this thing around within the next three years. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

You know what they say about guys with big hands.........

Big Gloves.

• Upvote 1

On 9/13/2016 at 6:08 PM, PlummMeanGreen said:

A few days ago another GMG poster said UT would not offer Johnny Manziel who might be an inch taller than Mason Fine-- I say, uh, might.  I have yet to see a college QB in modern times do what Johnny Football did at TAMU

Hey!  If you've got  "IT".....you could be a Wizard of Oz munchkin & find a way to win. 

Jeez, we've got a QB with endless skins on the wall and obvious talent and all some want to talk about is his height?  Both OU & OSU made last minute pitches to get Mason Fine on their respective campuses based on some pretty tall recommendations from someone I'd wager.

NO's Saints fans are not complaining about their Super Bowl winning QB Drew Bees last I checked & if he's 6 foot tall then I'm an 8 footer. :(

I'd like to see a shadow back in our backfield whose main job would be to give Mason additional block protection. 

This guy is our franchise QB the next 4 years.  Now all we need is a superb supporting cast on both sides of the ball.

You mean pile up a bunch of statistics, but never win a conference or national title?  The NCAA is littered with them every year.  It's what Mike Leach specializes in.

Texas A&M, tied for second in SEC West, 2012
Texas A&M, fourth in the SEC West, 2013.

So...what was all the excitement about again?  Statistics without championships?  Be a Washington State fan. Or, Texas Tech...another state whore school that never wins championships.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:12 AM, Cr1028 said:

I thought DT got injured at Army.

Edit: I went back and looked, the starter was Tune in 2010, he wasn't injured in the Clemson game, he dislocated his hip in the Rice game (2nd game), and DT injured his hip in the 3rd game, the Army game. We lost 10 starters in the first 3 games in Todd Dodge's final season. Lady Luck certainly didn't smile on that man while he was here.

My bad & you're right....it was the Army game that DT--7 broke his leg. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

You mean pile up a bunch of statistics, but never win a conference or national title?  The NCAA is littered with them every year.  It's what Mike Leach specializes in.

Texas A&M, tied for second in SEC West, 2012
Texas A&M, fourth in the SEC West, 2013.

So...what was all the excitement about again?  Statistics without championships?  Be a Washington State fan. Or, Texas Tech...another state whore school that never wins championships.

After what we've suffered through for the past, oh, I dunno...  FOREVER...   You wouldn't take a TX-Tech-Leach-like run here because there aren't conference or national (haha) championships associated?

In 10 years at Tech, Leach went 84-43 winning 6 bowl games and getting the Raiders ranked in the AP poll numerous times.

I would take that kind of success in a heartbeat, even if it meant we never won our conference title (put the crack pipe down regarding a national title) during those 10 years.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

After what we've suffered through for the past, oh, I dunno...  FOREVER...   You wouldn't take a TX-Tech-Leach-like run here because there aren't conference or national (haha) championships associated?

In 10 years at Tech, Leach went 84-43 winning 6 bowl games and getting the Raiders ranked in the AP poll numerous times.

I would take that kind of success in a heartbeat, even if it meant we never won our conference title (put the crack pipe down regarding a national title) during those 10 years.

I kind of agree. No I completely agree. Over 8 wins a year stretched over a 10 year span would do this athletic program and more importantly this university wonders.  

• Upvote 1