I don't think Mac would have offered Fine

Harry

It's just a testament to the ability of these coaches to identify and attract talent. 

Fine would have never made it into the Mac scheme because of his height.  He would have come up short to guys like Connor Mean etc.

I don't think our defensive recruiting under Mac was as big an issue although I really like the types of player Ekeler is luring in here.

It's exciting for the future of the program because there are so many great players who get overlooked due to measurables.

A few days ago another GMG poster said UT would not offer Johnny Manziel who might be an inch taller than Mason Fine-- I say, uh, might.  I have yet to see a college QB in modern times do what Johnny Football did at TAMU. 

Hey!  If you've got  "IT".....you could be a Wizard of Oz munchkin & find a way to win. 

Jeez, we've got a QB with endless skins on the wall and obvious talent and all some want to talk about is his height?  Both OU & OSU made last minute pitches to get Mason Fine on their respective campuses based on some pretty tall recommendations from someone I'd wager.

NO's Saints fans are not complaining about their Super Bowl winning QB Drew Bees last I checked & if he's 6 foot tall then I'm an 8 footer. :(

I'd like to see a shadow back in our backfield whose main job would be to give Mason additional block protection. 

This guy is our franchise QB the next 4 years.  Now all we need is a superb supporting cast on both sides of the ball.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Size at few positions are premium even at the FBS level.  You have to have girth to play in the front 7 on defense.   If you don't weight at least 200 pounds in the front 7 your aren't going to be effective or if you are it will be for a short time till you get injured.  And I would very reluctant to offer any 17-18 year old skill positing prospect who weighed 165 lbs and over 5' 8".  It is  a sturdy frame that.  A compact 5'7" 165 lbs skill position guy with speed can make plays at the FBS level.  Having too many of these high school productive small guys can be a negative issue.  But there are few spots on almost every team for this small quick guys and good coaches find them.  Just look at 5' 9" Brelan Chancellor he was great.  But now imagine him paired with 6' 3" WR just with adequate speed and good route running skills.   Brelan get even more opportunities to make big plays in the slot position.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

This guy is our franchise QB the next 4 years.  Now all we need is a superb supporting cast on both sides of the ball.

I won't focus on his height, but he's done nothing on the field to make me believe he is the answer. 

I won't even say that Cade Pearson as a true freshman next year is the answer. I believe we are 2 years away from answering the QB issue. 

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

32 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

There are plenty of folks watching him. He has played really well. Should be interesting to see a competition between Fine Pearson and probably a JUCO guy. 

If fine is successful this year, why bring in a juco?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, THOR said:

If fine is successful this year, why bring in a juco?

Sorry didn't mean to say JUCO meant Grad transfer. 

You can never have enough QBs and competition. 

If Fine is successful like over 2500 yards passing and around 60% completion percentage with a good TD to INT ratio they will probably feel good with just Pearson, Fine, OHara and walkons. Managing the games, protecting the ball, and all the intangibles are not enough to warrant a successful year. He's got to produce big.

And 2500 yards is low for what kind of production should come from a QB in this offense. 

Thats just my bad analysis. 

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 3

I remember as a HS kid in the Houston area being a huge Cougar fan & how excited we were when Bill Yeoman recruited RB Warren McVae from a San Antonio HS.  He out-recruited the entire SWC including Hayden Fry at SMU.  

It was premature excitement since in his first game in the Astrodome Warren Mac fumbled the ball 6 times!   It was demoralizing to UH fans. He went on to have a moderately successful college career as a UH running back.

Granted, some of us have gotten excited about Mason Fine alright not so much for some pro-active leadership we saw in our Saturday win, but for what he could become  with a couple more good recruiting classes under Coach Seth Littrell.  As Coach said, he is "NOT" the savior, but it is a good start for better things to come in Denton.   

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

We, as UNT fans over the bleakest years of FBS football, have become "numb" when watching QB's play for the Mean Green.   The only decent QB's we've had in recent years were Hall and Derek Thompson, and they had a very good supporting cast.  Fine has only two games for his "body of work".  He looks like he could work out for us "if we can keep him healthy".  And that is my biggest fear.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Mean_Green09 said:

I won't focus on his height, but he's done nothing on the field to make me believe he is the answer. 

Starting a true freshman QB pretty much right off the start of his career rarely works out. Most of the ones that do were big time talent recruits. 

I won't even say that Cade Pearson as a true freshman next year is the answer. I believe we are 2 years away from answering the QB issue. 

Agree- well stated.  I think Fine will struggle this year.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

We, as UNT fans over the bleakest years of FBS football, have become "numb" when watching QB's play for the Mean Green.   The only decent QB's we've had in recent years were Hall and Derek Thompson, and they had a very good supporting cast.  Fine has only two games for his "body of work".  He looks like he could work out for us "if we can keep him healthy".  And that is my biggest fear.

A shadow back in the backfield would help protect any Mean Green QB, if such can be worked into Littrell's offensive scheme.

We can't be paranoid about injury (and I know you're not-Phil) but we just have to let em' go out and play the game.  We do need to recruit good D1 sized linemen to protect our players, especially when we play the the Big Money games, though. 

Even big guys get hurt.  Remember our Heart of Dallas Bowl MVP QB Derek Thompson at Clemson?  Out for the year. :(

Most college football players let it all hang out on the college football field of battle since most of them know only about 2% of them will play in the NFL.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I doubt Mac would have offered him, but neither did another 127 fb division schools.  Although, I think a lot of us are getting ahead of ourselves; Fine has played one game and two series; he looks very promising.   NT to be successful at this point in time has to hit on the "toos", too slow, too small, too whatever that turned off the power schools

NT best recruit in decades was Booger Kennedy who like Fine dominated high school football teams.  He did get a couple of other late offers, but most schools thought he was too short and fat to play college ball.   Turned out there wasn't a team in the country he couldn't play for, hope Fine follows in the Kennedy fashion.    

Dude, I don't think Fine would be good playing QB at  5'10 ' 320 lb.

Image result for fat quarterback

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

A shadow back in the backfield would help protect any Mean Green QB, if such can be worked into Littrell's offensive scheme.

We can't be paranoid about injury (and I know you're not-Phil) but we just have to let em' go out and play the game.  We do need to recruit good D1 sized linemen to protect our players, especially when we play the the Big Money games, though. 

Even big guys get hurt.  Remember our Heart of Dallas Bowl MVP QB Derek Thompson at Clemson?  Out for the year. :(

Most college football players let it all hang out on the college football field of battle since most of them know only about 2% of them will play in the NFL.  

GMG!

I thought DT got injured at Army.

Edit: I went back and looked, the starter was Tune in 2010, he wasn't injured in the Clemson game, he dislocated his hip in the Rice game (2nd game), and DT injured his hip in the 3rd game, the Army game. We lost 10 starters in the first 3 games in Todd Dodge's final season. Lady Luck certainly didn't smile on that man while he was here.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1