Is This Time Different?

StealthEagle84

It has been a painfully long 327 days since we suffered what could be the most embarrassing loss in program history vs. Portland St. last year.  Through the storm of this offseason, we have replaced both our head coach and the athletic director.  My question is, do the new hires and the changes we've made bring a different sense of confidence in the direction of our program than previous hires, i.e. Dickey, Dodge, and McCarney(man)?  As the season is about to begin, it's always easy to be optimistic, but will it be different this time?  Did we finally get it right?  And most importantly, will this hire finally bring about the success on the field that we've thirsted for for the past decade?  

• Upvote 4

We've never hired this many coaches in from big time programs. It is different this time. We've never had this many P5s transfer in at once. It is different this time. We've never had a coach with so much to lose, he WILL win or his career trajectory will be significantly impacted. It IS different this time.

• Upvote 4

Yes.  This time is different.

At the end of the season, blame our bowl appearance on the vast improvement on the defensive side of the ball and a quarterback who doesn't throw five yard slants into the ground, as was the m.o. for all post-Derek Thompson QBs here in 2014 and 2015. 

It's a short route offense.  Just need a guy who won't panic and throw at the receiver's feet.  And...that'll be the best thing to see,next to the flying. playmaking linebackers.

• Upvote 2

It is different this time as evidenced by the Mosley hire.  They are building a great staff of administrators and coaches.  The Mosley hire goes a step further to tell me they are building a bench.  If this place explodes and Wren gets picked off you have a guy beneath him to carry on the torch.  The big difference between the consistent winners and the "hey we may get lucky" programs is talent and depth.

It feels different to me, for sure. Headed for the big time. 

Going to the scrimmage  and seeing these coaches put the guys through the ringer was pretty good. Pushing and expecting them to execute without hesitation, like a well oiled machine. I think we are about to get to the next step in moving our sporting  programs forward. 

It's like being married for 30 years but having the hot 20 year old giving you the googlie eyes at work. Your shorts want to go crazy but know in the end it's just not meant to be.......

Cmon Wren & Seth we deserve our hot 20 year old just once in our lifetime!

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

This is my 5th coaching change and 3rd AD. Each time in the past it felt new and the optimism was there but ended up being a band aid on a sucking chest wound. There have been a few highs and many many lows but we were always mired in the doldrums. This time around we changed the HFC and the AD in what feels like one fell swoop. It really feels like there has been a top down culture change here. It feels like there is a sense of urgency here and two guys with legacies to build. We may not see the improvement on the field that we all want to see this year but just give it some time because SL has us headed in the right direction. 

21 hours ago, StealthEagle84 said:

It has been a painfully long 327 days since we suffered what could be the most embarrassing loss in program history vs. Portland St. last year.  Through the storm of this offseason, we have replaced both our head coach and the athletic director.  My question is, do the new hires and the changes we've made bring a different sense of confidence in the direction of our program than previous hires, i.e. Dickey, Dodge, and McCarney(man)?  As the season is about to begin, it's always easy to be optimistic, but will it be different this time?  Did we finally get it right?  And most importantly, will this hire finally bring about the success on the field that we've thirsted for for the past decade?  

It isn't just the AD and head coaching change. It's hiring consultants to thoughtfully examine what is wrong with a dreadful program. It's creating 2 new high level positions in the AD to further assure responsibilities can be delegated with proper supervision and follow up to make sure they get done.

It's hiring a guy to one of those new positions that many would have been happy with as AD (exceeding expectations, when has that ever happened?), including one of the smarter spots minds on this board. 

Its revamping the game day experience and asking the fans to tell them if what they are doing is working. That would NEVER happen under the last guy.

It's getting an email from the AD telling us they are hiring a firm to establish a master athletics plan for facilities. No more band aids on things only after it becomes clear to a 1st grader there is a problem. 

It will be interesting to see if there are gameday experience  changes today. Will the band be in uniform? Will they make an enterance onto the field for pregame that resembles a major college football program? Will the team walk in change? If so, how? 

One thing is clear. There will be changes. Starting today. Otherwise you would have been allowed to fill out the questionaire beforehand. 

This year will be tough on the field, but things look to be changing at UNT. A commitment SEEMS to have been made by the administration and BOR to FINALLY get serious about athletics.,

I am more optimistic for the long term prospects of this program than I have ever been.

#expectmore

Go Mean Green!! 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

It isn't just the AD and head coaching change. It's hiring consultants tonfully examine what is wrong with a dreadful program. It's creating 2 new high level positions in the AD the further assure responsibilities cam be delegated with proper supervision and follow up to make sure they get done.

It's hiring a guy to one of those new positions that many would have been happy with as AD (exceeding expectations, when has that ever happened?), including one of the smarter spots minds on this board. 

Its revamping the game day experience and asking the fans to tell them if what they are doing is working. That would NEVER happen under the last guy.

It's getting an email from the AD telling us they are hiring a firm to establish a master athletics plan for facilities. No more band aids on things only after it becomes clear to a 1st grader there is a problem. 

It will be interesting to see if there is if there are gameday experience  changes today. Will the band be in uniform? Will they make an enterance onto the field for pregame that resembles a major college football program? Will the team walk in change? If so, how? 

One thing is clear. There will be changes. Starting today. Otherwise you would have been allowed to fill out the questionaire beforehand. 

This year will be tough on the field, but things look to be changing at UNT. A commitment SEEMS to have been made by the administration and BOR to FINALLY get serious about athletics.,

I am more optimistic for the long term prospects of this program than I have ever been.

#expectmore

Go Mean Green!! 

I also believe it's a new day with a bright future.

But our window to having a FBS future is damn near closed. If Wren Baker, Neal Smatresk, and Seth Littrell, as well as whoever becomes our next men's basketball coach, can move us upward in the next 5 years to a conference that can continue playing at the level that we all want to see us reach, which is in the MWC or AAC, they will have performed a miracle. It's possible, but we basically have to start winning in football and men's hoops within two years and keep it up for the years that follow. That's our only chance...but these guys already here give me lots of hope.

• Downvote 1