5 High Schools

emmitt01

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

That Klien Collins had a heck of a team.  I didn't see them coming.  Desoto was lucky to get by them.

Rick

Wait till you see The Woodlands vs Lake Travis who LT will manhandle IMO 

• Upvote 1

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/zXUMkodeekm9Wu2LtDZ6Ow/top-20-high-schools-that-produce-the-most-current-college-football-talent.htm

Clearly Cedar Hill & DeSoto from North Texas. Allen, only because they have 3 times the students as CH & DeSoto. Surprising is Coppell.

Others around the state:

Tyler John Tyler,  Manvel, Cibolo Steele, LaMarque, W. Orange Stark, Houston Washington & Madison. 

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, shaft said:

Money impacts high school in the following ways:

1. Better Coaching

2. More Coaching (camps)

3. More opportunities

Basically the 10,000 hours theory.

The monied programs have good systems and they attract overachievers, but how many DL/OL players from Southlake do you hear about that are B-12/B-10 all-conference players compared to the DeSotos, Cedar Hills, and Skylines of the world. Mostly what you hear about from the the Southlakes of the world as far as D-1 players are concerned are QB's, WR's and kickers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Living near Desoto and Cedar Hill, I have noticed that the athletes at those two schools tend to be from two-parent homes and unlike some of the athletes at Dallas ISD schools, they have fathers. On a macro scale, having a dad is such an advantage: you have someone in your life daily teaching discipline, work ethic and setting a positive example of how to succeed (although some dads can be jerks). Plus, you have someone who can play catch with you every day and drive you to track practice. Having two incomes also gives a family more opportunity to pay for private coaching or elite level club teams, etc. Kids without fathers can still turn out awesome. It is just easier when a kid has two parents investing in them consistently. 

And don't forget about the Mesquite schools...

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Living near Desoto and Cedar Hill, I have noticed that the athletes at those two schools tend to be from two-parent homes and unlike some of the athletes at Dallas ISD schools, they have fathers. On a macro scale, having a dad is such an advantage: you have someone in your life daily teaching discipline, work ethic and setting a positive example of how to succeed (although some dads can be jerks). Plus, you have someone who can play catch with you every day and drive you to track practice. Having two incomes also gives a family more opportunity to pay for private coaching or elite level club teams, etc. Kids without fathers can still turn out awesome. It is just easier when a kid has two parents investing in them consistently. 

And don't forget about the Mesquite schools...

Excellent points.

Rick

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Desoto, Cedar Hill, LaMarque, Tyler John Tyler and Denton Ryan

Lamarque is no more all students will be dispersed to surrounding schools. Shut down by state of Texas. Think it goes into effect next school year.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Having two incomes also gives a family more opportunity to pay for private coaching or elite level club teams, etc.

This is the heart of the answer.  

A long time ago, personalized elite level training and coaching was something that only happened to the professionals.  Then it crept down to the football factory colleges, then to almost every college (Our Mean Green athletes receive care/training that an NFL player could have only dream about 20 years ago), then to the HS level, and now finally down even younger.  

The International Review for the Sociology of Sport published a report on family backgrounds and found that professional athletes dis-proportionally came from middle class and upper middle class families.   Lower class families were under represented (couldn't afford the training), as well as upper class families (sports isn't a very good gamble when compared to getting elite level academic training).

When no HS kids received this training, a lot of time it came down to toughness and desire.  Now that every single large urban football school can provide it, the poor schools out in the boondocks don't compete.  

15 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

(Our Mean Green athletes receive care/training that an NFL player could have only dream about 20 years ago)

I lived where the old Oakland Raiders used to train during the pre-season.  By training, I mean most of them were out smoking cigarettes, sucking down massive quantities of beer, and sneaking girls back to their rooms (in a motel no less) every night. 

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

This is the heart of the answer.  

A long time ago, personalized elite level training and coaching was something that only happened to the professionals.  Then it crept down to the football factory colleges, then to almost every college (Our Mean Green athletes receive care/training that an NFL player could have only dream about 20 years ago), then to the HS level, and now finally down even younger.  

The International Review for the Sociology of Sport published a report on family backgrounds and found that professional athletes dis-proportionally came from middle class and upper middle class families.   Lower class families were under represented (couldn't afford the training), as well as upper class families (sports isn't a very good gamble when compared to getting elite level academic training).

When no HS kids received this training, a lot of time it came down to toughness and desire.  Now that every single large urban football school can provide it, the poor schools out in the boondocks don't compete.  

Yeah...sort of.  

Talent...major talent transferring in at a constant rate at the same usual schools probably has the most to do with it.

And when I say major talent I mean kids that are already rated and sought after by colleges or ones who run sub 12's in the 8th grade moving in and starting on varsity...etc.....all taking advantage of a support system that has the end around to lax transfer rules down to an art form.

Its been said before that the difference between 0-10 and 10-0 at most high school levels is about 6 players.

I don't know how accurate that number 6 is but it sounds about right to me.

You give an already damn good HS coach like Peterman, Dodge, Buchanon, McGuire, Mathis, Woods, Lineweaver etc and supply them with 6 badasses that are at a level above everyone else on the field,...along with the training capabilities each program can afford them and you get what you get. The same usuals year in and year out making deep runs into the playoffs.

Rick

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Then I will replace them with Fort Bend Hightower.

Not a bad choice, rumor is the fort bend schools are fixing to start losing kids to two new schools being built down there.  Not sure how accurate that is. 

So just don't pay any mind to every school from 4A on down?   Take the very best kid from China Spring and LaVega  every year and you would have a gold mine.  Same could be said about Abilene Wylie, Carthage, West Orange Stark, Cameron, Malakoff and every other 4A-3A powerhouse in the state.  

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, DT 90 said:

So just don't pay any mind to every school from 4A on down?   Take the very best kid from China Spring and LaVega  every year and you would have a gold mine.  Same could be said about Abilene Wylie, Carthage, West Orange Stark, Cameron, Malakoff and every other 4A-3A powerhouse in the state.  

It's a question of numbers though isn't it? Some good talent, just not enough of them to fill out a roster here. 

42 minutes ago, DT 90 said:

So just don't pay any mind to every school from 4A on down?   

You have to remember the proposition is to pick just five schools.  So yes, of course picking out the five that pump out multiple recruits year after year is the winning play.  However we don't have a genie, so we aren't really going to magically be able to lock up 5 schools.

In real life we have to search for talent at all levels.  

36 minutes ago, DT 90 said:

I would take Some 3 and 4a's vs the top schools just not on a game in game out basis due to numbers I would have to assume the schools you mentioned don't have a plethora of those type of athletes but are deep enough to definitely compete with some of the best.  I agree I would be totally fine recruiting the smaller schools in TX and make that our brand.  Embrace that Small School Recruiting and have that be our niche.  

15 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Not a bad choice, rumor is the fort bend schools are fixing to start losing kids to two new schools being built down there.  Not sure how accurate that is. 

They are building another school in Fort Bend so it won't take away from Fort Bend schools.  It will take away from Fort Bend Ridge point since they are supposed to build it in Sienna Plantation.  Fort bend likes to keep their schools at around 2000 kids.  I guess they have their reasons, but it's not really good for athletic purposes if you want to compete with the rest of these top texas high schools.  Hightower and Marshall still seem to be one of the tops in the area as far as D1 athletes, even being under 3000 students.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GOMG2013 said:

They are building another school in Fort Bend so it won't take away from Fort Bend schools.  It will take away from Fort Bend Ridge point since they are supposed to build it in Sienna Plantation.  Fort bend likes to keep their schools at around 2000 kids.  I guess they have their reasons, but it's not really good for athletic purposes if you want to compete with the rest of these top texas high schools.  Hightower and Marshall still seem to be one of the tops in the area as far as D1 athletes, even being under 3000 students.

Denton has kept their schools in the 2,000 student range and done pretty well.

3 hours ago, DT 90 said:

Some of our best talent has come from such programs in the past for sure.

Reminds me that the right side of Mineola's O line last year went to A&M.

The Yoakum game is gonna be a good one next week.

Rick

On 12/11/2016 at 3:45 AM, Monkeypox said:

I agree with most everyone here about:

Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Allen. 

My Homer picks would be:

Euless Trinity, Coppell   

I agree we need a pipeline into Coppell.  I have heard multiple times that UNT's relationship with Coppell coaches is VERY bad.  Hopefully, SL and WB can fix that.  On the other hand, due to rapidly changing demographics, the volume of FBS level talent coming out of Coppell is going to be diminishing noticeably in the future.