MGB: UNT future football schedules update

Brett Vito

13 hours ago, Cerebus said:

it7mBqw.gif

Just look at the schedule on that page...

First of all, she doesn't know it yet, but Kristen Ritter is so much my next ex-wife.

As for this scheduling, pros:  six home games for the foreseeable future.  cons:  I really thought we were done with this FCS stuff after 2019 and Mac's departure.  This is indeed disheartening.  Not just FCS, but bottom of the barrel FCS.  Not gonna do much for us in strength of schedule issues should we ever start winning games and looking for bowl invitations.

• Upvote 1

Since many teams in the ACC and most of the MWC have home games against FCS teams scheduled into 2021. Many other CUSA teams do as well. Playing an early game against an FCS or very, very low FBS team was the key to building the K-State program according to former NT coach Bill Snyder!  

Some seem to want NT to only schedule games three to five years out when every other school in both FBS and FCS schedules ten to twelve years out. 

I want to see NT play at home at least six times a year. I go to NT play and I don't care who they are playing. Getting fans to show up no matter whom a team is playing key to building a program. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

50 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Some seem to want NT to only schedule games three to five years out when every other school in both FBS and FCS schedules ten to twelve years out. 

This is a straight out lie in defense of a friend. All you have to do is look at conference CUSA to see we have scheduled further out than just about any other CUSA opponent. Some still have open slots 2 to 3 years out ( some with multiple open slots 3-5 years out). This bullshit of "UNT is doing what everyone else is doing" is pure crap. 

I did a post a while back where I proved to Video that every other CUSA conference mate except one had a home game scheduled against a P5. During researching that info, one thing that leaped out at me was how UNT had scheduled so far into the future as opposed to conference foes. 

So don't believe this crap that has been posted by a long time Rick Villarreal protector. It isn't true. 

Here are a couple of conference foes future schedules as an example:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/western-kentucky-hilltoppers.php

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/fiu-golden-panthers.php

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/southern-miss-golden-eagles.php

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I looked at our conference mates and we are the clear leaders in FCS game scheduling.

At some point, if we want to be attractive to our own conference, much less any other conference, we are going to have to figure out a way to eliminate the bodybag games and put together a home schedule that is actually attractive to fans/TV.  The Army games are the only games that likely have any appeal to TV.

2022 is just around the corner...

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

FIU is bringing in Indiana and Maryland for a home game in back to back weeks?! Am I reading that right?!  

2 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

FIU is bringing in Indiana and Maryland for a home game in back to back weeks?! Am I reading that right?!  

That is correct. Other CUSA teams are leaving UNT behind. And some UNT fans are fine with it. 

Mind Boggling. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

When will the athletic department learn that you can't develop fan interest scheduling games like these. I have zero interest in watching us play these types of games. Apogee was built to lure quality FBS programs. Bring back the Houston and Indiana type games. This is garbage. I hope the new AD will undo this miss. Buying these games out can't be too expensive.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Not sure why anyone is surprised, these are buy games to offset the away guarantee games.  Problem is, why would NT book any games before the new AD comes in.  My guess these games were already contracted before RV was terminated.

This is exactly why I think a 5 game home schedule ever other year with another home and away series with a fb division school is much better than this type of schedule.  

I agree with you in principle but I believe that the FCS route is acceptable until we become a better than average G5 team.  If we don't schedule a FCS team at home then we are all but guaranteeing two losses in one of the years...the FCS game that we should win and the away game with a better/equal FBS opponent.  

I will say this.  I believe that we will get better soon and I don't like the FCS game if we get to the upper echelon of the G5s.  For that reason I hate to see us schedule a FCS more than two years out.  And, when we do, make it a Texas team.  SFA and Sam Houston State have drawn well in the past and ACU would also draw a decent crowd now.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The unanswered question is how do you pay the guarantee to get a P5 team to play in Denton? It is a gamble at best and a break the bank at worst. Denton has proven over and over that it does not understand that without fans in the stands no one wants to play here, and if it were possible to entice them they will want a huge guarantee that UNT can not cover putting even further strain on it's small athletic budget.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, DallasGreen said:

The unanswered question is how do you pay the guarantee to get a P5 team to play in Denton? It is a gamble at best and a break the bank at worst. Denton has proven over and over that it does not understand that without fans in the stands no one wants to play here, and if it were possible to entice them they will want a huge guarantee that UNT can not cover putting even further strain on it's small athletic budget.

It seems FIU faces the same problem and managed to figure out a way to get it done.

It's amazing what doesn't get done when people continually say it can't get done, isn't it?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

4 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

This is why I have NOT renewed MGC or season tickets. Mac and RV have hurt us for years to come. The new AD really has his/her work cut out for him. 

F'ing ridiculous.

This ^, I think we are in a position to win and should win. These games do not entice me to renew my season tickets. I don't want to pay and waste a staurday for HBU.

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, mgfan said:

This ^, I think we are in a position to win and should win. These games do not entice me to renew my season tickets. I don't want to pay and waste a staurday for HBU.

^ Fan, diehard, casual or whatever. A game of this nature is a waste of time. I am not just a North Texas football junkie, I am a college football junkie. This game will not bring me to Apogee. This game will force my hand to stay home and watch quality football. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

^ Fan, diehard, casual or whatever. A game of this nature is a waste of time. I am not just a North Texas football junkie, I am a college football junkie. This game will not bring me to Apogee. This game will force my hand to stay home and watch quality football. 

We know you will be there Ben, no way you put on your texas longhorn shirt and Texas A&M hat and stay home and watch the longhorn network.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

We know you will be there Ben, no way you put on your texas longhorn shirt and Texas A&M hat and stay home and watch the longhorn network.

haha, I have no such shirts. However, I do have a Florida shirt that I do rep and I do like watching my Gators as well. However, you are right. I will be probably be there. One thing I have learned from being a UNT fan is to how to suffer well. I think of myself now as a good sufferer. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DallasGreen said:

With a one and one there usually isn't a guarantee. We don't get anything for going to their place and they don't get anything for coming to ours. We a lot of the bigger P5s, this is a far better deal financially for them. So why are so many willing to pay NT over $1.5 million to come to their place when they would come out ahead not? They want 7 or 8 home games and if they go to a G5 that cuts a home game. 

• Downvote 1

HBU just started playing football in 2013: Whatever It Takes: Houston Baptist University Turns to Football to Build a Name.  They got lucky and were asked to join the Southland when TSU-SM & UTSA left.  They played their first year at Strake Jesuit's stadium.  They now have half of a stadium, at the corner of Beechnut & Fondren: Google Maps  I've been wondering if they own the land where the CVS is.  A long time ago, there was a Putt-Putt and a driving range there.

HBU apparently has ambitious expansion plans.  It could only help Sharpstown, which is still a hellhole since the 80's oil bust.

But I digress...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't mind those schedules. 

With those schedules, there is no reason for us to be any worse than 2-2 or 3-1 out of conference every year - INCLUDING THIS YEAR!  SMU, Bethune-Cookman, and Army are all beatable.

23 minutes ago, Stix said:

HBU just started playing football in 2013: Whatever It Takes: Houston Baptist University Turns to Football to Build a Name.  They got lucky and were asked to join the Southland when TSU-SM & UTSA left.  They played their first year at Strake Jesuit's stadium.  They now have half of a stadium, at the corner of Beechnut & Fondren: Google Maps  I've been wondering if they own the land where the CVS is.  A long time ago, there was a Putt-Putt and a driving range there.

HBU apparently has ambitious expansion plans.  It could only help Sharpstown, which is still a hellhole since the 80's oil bust.

But I digress...

Sharpstown did turn into a hellhole.  My grandparents lived in Bellaire for decades, from about the mid-60s to the mid 90s, so I spent many a vacationing days in the Sharpstown/Bellaire/West Univeristy area in the 70s and 80s.  Saw the peak of those areas.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

First of all, I'd like to know who was in the room when these games were scheduled.  Next, why are we just now hearing about this schedule with RV having only 7 days left in his tenure here (as if these opponents would be a difficult negotiation ).  And finally, for whoever was in the room, should that person or people be retained when the new AD comes in ? 

I could schedule teams like R.I, and Houston Baptist and I could do it for a lot less than what we've been paying. 

Bigger name teams and concerts indeed.  I'll be there for every game but, as Emmitt points out, this is tantamount to black practice jerseys.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1