Mean Green sighting

Marty

Glad to see us getting support from a business in Celina. Thank you Dickey's. I hope the athletic department sends them a new one for their collection. We need to be encouraging more businesses throughout North Texas to feature our athletics.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, kj86 said:

As long as they continue to be better than Hard Eight (not a difficult task), they will continue to exist.

Wait.   Are you saying Dickeys is better than Hard 8?

The only other person I've ever heard say this after trying both was a dude from Boston.

Do you also like Fazoli's better than Cane Rosso?

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The only other person I've ever heard say this after trying both was a dude from Boston.

I've been to Hard Eight (Coppell) once. Dry, overdone, and overpriced 'cue is all I found. I have no plans to visit ever again.

Dickeys is consistent. They will never reach Franklin's or the Lockhart trio levels, it's not bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dickey's may not be the best but it's still awesome in my book.  I'm 45 years old and some of my earliest memories are going to Dickey's in Plano.  Wednesday nights were half priced sandwich night and the line would wrap around the side of the building.  Yes, they had free ice cream back then, too.

A few years ago they opened one near my office in Richmond, VA and I've saved very cup I bought from there in one stack.  That stack is now up to my hip.  Considering that each cup after the first only raises the stack by about an inch, that's a lotta cups.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stix said:

Was there a Nathan Tune sighting?  Or, maybe even a Ray sighting?

Did not see Nathan or Ray, 

i love BBQ but I'm not a BBQ snob. Dickeys isn't the best but far from the worst. In a pinch, not wanting to drive too far, Dickeys will suit me just fine. 

• Upvote 4

I've spent the last couple of years hitting as many of Texas Monthly 50 Best BBQ Restaurants in the World with some friends. I'm up to 32. Dickey's shouldn't be mentioned when discussing proper bbq. It's like saying McDonald's is the best burger in town. The best thing Dickey's has going for it is good soft serve ice cream. Same with McDonald's...

I will give you our discoveries from our travels. Most consistent brisket: Hutchins in McKinney, however, when Lockhart in Dallas is on all cylinders its life changing. Same with Kreuz's in Lockhart but they don't provide bbq. (Might not need it but I like the option) Best sausage: Blacks in Lockhart. Best beef ribs: Pecan Lodge Dallas but the price is outrageous. Best pork ribs: Salt Lick in Driftwood or Smitty's in Lockhart. (I'll mention Hard 8 in Roanoke makes ribs I do crave since there are some Hard 8 naysayers. Avoid Coppell because they are more mass production compared to the original in Stephenville or Roanoke.) Best sauce: Depends on my mood but Coopers in Llano, Salt Lick, and Pecan Lodge are all solid. Coolest ambience: Salt Lick. (Cool place that reminds me of a Cattleman's Steakhouse in Fabens near El Paso but not in the desert.) Biggest disappointments: Pody's in Pecos, Bartley's in Grapevine, Brook's Place in Cypress. 

Next expedition: Snow's in Lexington but they are only open Saturdays so we need to go early before they run out.

We'll hit 50!!! 

(And yes we had to tone it down at first because we all gained weight but lost it.)

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 4

Stopped at Snow's about 1:30 pm two weeks ago and got brisket right off the pit.  It was fantastic!  However, they were already out of chicken and ribs.  They did have some pork loin and sausage available, as well as the brisket.   I think all the rain in that area kept the crowds smaller than usual.  I rate Snow's much better than either the Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum or Lockhart's in the Bishop Arts district in Dallas.  I guess there is a lot of personal preference when it comes to bbq, but I personally was not that impressed with either the Pecan Lodge or Lockhart's and thought they were both very overrated.  Also like the Salt Lick so much I even get it at the Austin Airport!

• Upvote 1

I am a bbq snob, and Dickeys is fast food. If you want a quick bite to eat, it's mediocre at best. I am going to a UNT alums bbq place in East Texas this weekend. The place is called Josephs Riverport BBQ in my hometown of Jefferson. Their brisket sandwich was recently named the second best in the state by USA Today. Pretty impressive for a small town bbq joint.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, UNTexas said:

I've spent the last couple of years hitting as many of Texas Monthly 50 Best BBQ Restaurants in the World with some friends. I'm up to 32. Dickey's shouldn't be mentioned when discussing proper bbq. It's like saying McDonald's is the best burger in town. The best thing Dickey's has going for it is good soft serve ice cream. Same with McDonald's...

I will give you our discoveries from our travels. Most consistent brisket: Hutchins in McKinney, however, when Lockhart in Dallas is on all cylinders its life changing. Same with Kreuz's in Lockhart but they don't provide bbq. (Might not need it but I like the option) Best sausage: Blacks in Lockhart. Best beef ribs: Pecan Lodge Dallas but the price is outrageous. Best pork ribs: Salt Lick in Driftwood or Smitty's in Lockhart. (I'll mention Hard 8 in Roanoke makes ribs I do crave since there are some Hard 8 naysayers. Avoid Coppell because they are more mass production compared to the original in Stephenville or Roanoke.) Best sauce: Depends on my mood but Coopers in Llano, Salt Lick, and Pecan Lodge are all solid. Coolest ambience: Salt Lick. (Cool place that reminds me of a Cattleman's Steakhouse in Fabens near El Paso but not in the desert.) Biggest disappointments: Pody's in Pecos, Bartley's in Grapevine, Brook's Place in Cypress. 

Next expedition: Snow's in Lexington but they are only open Saturdays so we need to go early before they run out.

We'll hit 50!!! 

(And yes we had to tone it down at first because we all gained weight but lost it.)

Hard 8 in Stephenville is magical. Sad that there is no more free beer, though. Love that jalepino cream corn!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, UNTexas said:

We'll hit 50!!! 

Salt Lick makes good BBQ, but that sauce is awful. I accidentally got some on my brisket once and had to give that piece away...to my wife, who loves that sauce.

Have you done Franklin's yet?

anyone ever try Franklin's in Austin?

Rudy's aint the best but its damn good.  Order moist if you dont like it dry.  Only problem with Rudy's is I think it is somewhat overpriced but it is consistently good.

18 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

BBQ in Boston! Ha! I have yet to find a place that has good BBQ up here....BTW, I liked Dickeys, because you get free ice cream after your meal!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TheWestie said:

Yeah, consistently horrible.

Bet-The-House-03.jpg

DRC_BETTHEHOUSEBBQ_1_38309941.JPG

Dickeys doesn't pretend to be something it's not. We will have to disagree as I don't think it's horrible, but they won't be winning any best BBQ awards.

Bet the House is good, but they are no where near Lockhart good.

I may have to consider giving Hard 8 another try and follow @UNTexas advice and avoid the Coppell location.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Salt Lick makes good BBQ, but that sauce is awful. I accidentally got some on my brisket once and had to give that piece away...to my wife, who loves that sauce.

Have you done Franklin's yet?

to each his own.  I love the sauce there and frankly I think it is the only reason the Q is edible.  Texas Q is supposed to hold up on its own without sauce.  Salt Lick's most certainly could not.   Has anyone here had Killen's?  I would punch my momma in the mouth for their beef ribs.  Lot of good Q down here. 

• Upvote 2