Possible Candidates for UNT AD?

10 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Would Steve Spurrier be interested in the job?  He said that he would not rule out other opportunities. Thoughts???

Probably a little on the aged side to take on an entirely new gig. Besides, we all know what sideline he would be on next fall in Gainesville.

• Upvote 1

I don't think we want someone from the gold lined streets to be our ad.  The gold road does not lead here yet.  We need someone who knows how to build a program from the ground up.  I think steve and mack are/were at programs where people just hand over their money.  I think that was mac's problem in recruiting where kids wanted to get into Flordia and they had choice of players.  

• Upvote 2

Nick Carparelli Jr. should absolutely get a look. He was the Head of Football for both the AAC and the Big East for 12 years. He was a scheduling genius and handled all the corporate sponsorship opportunities -- which is why he was hired by Undern Armour a couple years ago as Senior Director of College Sports. 

A guys with decades of experience in college football, in running entire conferences, and working on the sports marketing side? Yes please. 

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/01/16/american-athletic-conference-loses-nick-carparelli-under-armour

• Upvote 5

On 5/23/2016 at 0:41 PM, Cerebus said:

Ark St AD is a Ark St Letterman and he has his dream job.  I would like someone who is energetic, aggressive, forward thinking, and willing to work outside of the box like him.

On 5/23/2016 at 0:46 PM, UNT90 said:

This. I want an alumn of UNT who has turned around a loser as an AD or an assistant AD.

If such a person even exists...

it really stuck in my crawl that RV was donating 5 times as much to a conference rival. Loyalties...

How about one who has built something almost from the ground up in the business world?

https://news.unt.edu/news-releases/former-college-quarterback-leads-his-business-presidential-award-excellence

Sadly, the North Texas AD job would probably be a cut in salary for Case....... make that a huge cut. However, what I would love to see is for the new hire to spend at least two weeks following Jordan Case around and learning how he "team builds" and makes assessments.  In the process he would get a pretty good history lesson about NT athletics........the positive years.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SilverEagle said:

How about one who has built something almost from the ground up in the business world?

https://news.unt.edu/news-releases/former-college-quarterback-leads-his-business-presidential-award-excellence

Sadly, the North Texas AD job would probably be a cut in salary for Case....... make that a huge cut. However, what I would love to see is for the new hire to spend at least two weeks following Jordan Case around and learning how he "team builds" and makes assessments.  In the process he would get a pretty good history lesson about NT athletics........the positive years.

I've said before that we could do a lot worse than talking with Jordan Case about the AD job here. And he might just be at a place in life, financially, that he could make this work. The only thing that worries me is that he has never dealt with the complexities of running a college athletic department, but I think he could do wonders in that position if he had the right people surrounding him.

12 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I've said before that we could do a lot worse than talking with Jordan Case about the AD job here. And he might just be at a place in life, financially, that he could make this work. The only thing that worries me is that he has never dealt with the complexities of running a college athletic department, but I think he could do wonders in that position if he had the right people surrounding him.

The complexities of a college football program like the one at North Texas couldn't possibly be as complex has running two high end car dealerships. I've read enough Ed Wallace columns to know that it's (potentially) a real nightmare.

In this article, he talks about all the lessons he learned in football transferring over to the business world. I would think "transferring back" would be pretty easy for him.

http://footballmatters.org/football-gave-jordan-case-the-drive-to-succeed/

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

The complexities of a college football program like the one at North Texas couldn't possibly be as complex has running two high end car dealerships. I've read enough Ed Wallace columns to know that it's (potentially) a real nightmare.

In this article, he talks about all the lessons he learned in football transferring over to the business world. I would think "transferring back" would be pretty easy for him.

http://footballmatters.org/football-gave-jordan-case-the-drive-to-succeed/

Maybe he could throw in a free car detail and 'maintenance for life' if we could back out of the Wisconsin and A&M deals for 2019 & 2020 without penalty?

53 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

He should participate in the process!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I don't think we want someone from the gold lined streets to be our ad.  The gold road does not lead here yet.  We need someone who knows how to build a program from the ground up.  I think steve and mack are/were at programs where people just hand over their money.  I think that was mac's problem in recruiting where kids wanted to get into Flordia and they had choice of players.  

I do agree that Mack had his choice of recruits, but that was not the case in football and UNC when he was there and he turned them around.. and UT wasn't good Mack got there I believe and turned into into a Powerhouse in the Big 12 for long time... But Mack alone, I believe could help 1) Sway these mid-level guys and maybe even some above avg guys to the program because of his "connections" with players and teams in the NFL. Have to think if a kid is coming down to UNT and UTSA or some other mid-major program, Mack in our corner could def. help in terms of football, and about the money... I think Mack could get people to donate to the program in all sports as well.. Just have to wonder/think could make help in other sports and run a whole Ath. Dept. or just be a 1 trick pony in football.

5 hours ago, Graham said:

Nick Carparelli Jr. should absolutely get a look. He was the Head of Football for both the AAC and the Big East for 12 years. He was a scheduling genius and handled all the corporate sponsorship opportunities -- which is why he was hired by Undern Armour a couple years ago as Senior Director of College Sports. 

A guys with decades of experience in college football, in running entire conferences, and working on the sports marketing side? Yes please. 

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/01/16/american-athletic-conference-loses-nick-carparelli-under-armour

I wonder, does anyone know about our current deal with Nike? I wonder if Carparelli were to come in how/if we could work out with something with UA.. BC i believe UA has started a 7 on 7 league as well around the US, but no  stops in TX.. could be a great way to get UA into TX and UA to show of UNT possibly...

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:12 PM, untjim1995 said:

Speaking of UH, that would be a good place to look at an assistant AD who has picked up lots of ideas and experience from those above him or her.

What about this guy, he's started small, been small with bigs, big with smalls, involved in football scheduling where body bag games were end of season affairs.  I'm guessing his title indicates he's an assistant:

http://www.uhcougars.com/genrel/marvin_julich_jr_973095.html

Compensation as of 2015:

https://salaries.texastribune.org/university-of-houston/marvin-julich/706469/

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1