Possible Candidates for UNT AD?

If we are going to go with someone who has uTexas ties, let's go with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mack_Brown

I think he would easily raise 10mm+ per year.  Whatever you had to pay him would be worth it.  Instant credibility in the state and nationally.  Single hire puts you immediately on the same level as programs like UH and puts you in every conference conversation.  What would it take?  $1mm?  More?

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

I am of the train of thought that you need someone with some ties here in Texas, and specifically in the DFW market.  You need a bonafide fund raiser who can sell, sell, sell. 

You mean.... this guy???

He designed and was Director of the campaign for SMU which, at the time of his departure in 1998, had raised more than $280 million.

Mr. Lively designed, implemented and managed the campaign to construct the $350 million center. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

I am of the train of thought that you need someone with some ties here in Texas

Maybe, but as somewhat of an outsider in this particular arena, I think it tends to become self justifying myopia. For every position in every school, it's "You better be from Texas or GTFO!"  I just don't know that I'm buying that anymore.  Maybe a fresh perspective, but with a willingness to learn and adapt to the Texas environment is just what we need.  

I am 100% down with you on the sell, sell, sell aspect.

• Upvote 2

This person doesn't need to have been involved at UNT before, but they sure better know what they are getting into.

They should be creative, intelligent, and relentless. And they better have a proven record of doing things that seemed crazy but worked out. If that was starting an ice cream stand in Nova Scotia, then fine, because it will take something "different" to make the monumental turn this big ship needs.

2 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

Have a few friends in the development and fundraising world of college athletics, and this name was given to me as a possible candidate.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208803515

Not a bad resume. OU, Cowboys, Alabama. Seems like a home run hire to me. 

From compensation stand point in 2013 RV was ranked 77 at $300,000  a year. Show to be ahead of La Tech, Fresno, Marshall, Colo St to name a few. On G5's in Texas only UH pays more at over 500k. The compensation will be their to attract a top notch candidate. Someone coming from a P5 with all the money in the world would not be attractive to me. I think a fundraiser and getting butts in the seats would be key. Given he knows how to hire and if they fail be able to bail without a big payoff. (short term extensions) GMG

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

From compensation stand point in 2013 RV was ranked 77 at $300,000  a year. Show to be ahead of La Tech, Fresno, Marshall, Colo St to name a few. On G5's in Texas only UH pays more at over 500k. The compensation will be their to attract a top notch candidate. Someone coming from a P5 with all the money in the world would not be attractive to me. I think a fundraiser and getting butts in the seats would be key. Given he knows how to hire and if they fail be able to bail without a big payoff. (short term extensions) GMG

Speaking of UH, that would be a good place to look at an assistant AD who has picked up lots of ideas and experience from those above him or her.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

If we are going to go with someone who has uTexas ties, let's go with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mack_Brown

I think he would easily raise 10mm+ per year.  Whatever you had to pay him would be worth it.  Instant credibility in the state and nationally.  Single hire puts you immediately on the same level as programs like UH and puts you in every conference conversation.  What would it take?  $1mm?  More?

interesting thought here.....

Brad Teague at Central Arkansas or someone similar.

Central Arkansas found Teague at Delta St in Mississippi, proof that highly successful people can be found at the lower levels. They're usually accountable and expect those around them to be, are very hungry to rise to any challenge to win and succeed and they appreciate where they came from before.  

http://www.ucasports.com/staff.aspx?staff=46

If you hire someone who has been used to the P5 red carpet treatment they're gonna be dissapointed from the beginning.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

My #1 criteria:  5 year average Won/loss record in big 3 sports, compared to the historical won/loss record in those sports at that school.  That probably grades out some good candidates at traditional powers, but I'm so sick and tired of losing at everything that I put the most emphasis on the candidate's ability to identify a good coach.