Possible Candidates for UNT AD?

3 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

Personally, I am more inclined to advocate for a hire from a "big" school, assuming he is well rounded (has hired coaches, built facilities, negotiated contracts and promoted the program). My perception of RV has been for some time that the job just outgrew him. You run that risk going "small" school hire, IMO.

Remember the fiasco that was Craig Helwig.  Dude had all kinds of experience at Texas, yet couldn't relate to the "culture" that was/is UNT. He never had a clue.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Remember the fiasco that was Craig Helwig.  Dude had all kinds of experience at Texas, yet couldn't relate to the "culture" that was/is UNT. He never had a clue.

True. I admit there is such a thing as "too big".

40 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

He was a fund raiser at UT heading the development office, as far as I know he is currently at TCU in a similar position.  Helwig certainly didn't have heavy AD experience at UT before being given the job at NT. 

RV and Helwig were both hired primarily because it was thought they could raise a lot of money for NT.   Both failed miserably, so I think having fund raising as a major priority is a mistake.   Fund raising at UT is certainly not the same as NT, sadly neither is USM.   Find someone who is a good administer, first and foremost.   Someone who is demanding of staff and can develop an effective organization to tackle fund raising, increase attendance, improve fan services and effectively market NT athletics. 

• Upvote 1

CHAD WEIBERG - mentioned him before and I'll mention him again.  Read this bio.  Oh...and I know him. 

http://www.texastech.com/genrel/050515aac.html

Weiberg revamped K-State's fundraising efforts during his tenure, directing a philosophy that focused on personal interaction and communication to Ahearn Fund donors on all levels. K-State has benefited from a grass-roots fundraising campaign that is the department's largest source of revenue.

Edited by smoothfresh
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

He was a fund raiser at UT heading the development office, as far as I know he is currently at TCU in a similar position.  Helwig certainly didn't have heavy AD experience at UT before being given the job at NT. 

RV and Helwig were both hired primarily because it was thought they could raise a lot of money for NT.   Both failed miserably, so I think having fund raising as a major priority is a mistake.   Fund raising at UT is certainly not the same as NT, sadly neither is USM.   Find someone who is a good administer, first and foremost.   Someone who is demanding of staff and can develop an effective organization to tackle fund raising, increase attendance, improve fan services and effectively market NT athletics. 

I agree with all of that wholeheartedly. I also think that one of the most important attributes that we should look for in our new AD, is that this person should be someone who doesn't look down on us and is simply looking at the job as a stepping stone to greater things. I know that this characteristic can sometimes be difficult to vet, but I've often had the feeling that too many of our more recent hires just didn't give a damn. I guess I'm saying that I don't want us hiring anyone too young unless he is truly exceptional and/or has NT ties. This will be interesting, but I also have to wonder if this job is already basically filled.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

My #1 criteria:  5 year average Won/loss record in big 3 sports, compared to the historical won/loss record in those sports at that school.  That probably grades out some good candidates at traditional powers, but I'm so sick and tired of losing at everything that I put the most emphasis on the candidate's ability to identify a good coach.

I'm with you.  To hell with the "Great Fundraiser" first criteria.  Been there done that.

Find a great "Evaluator Of Coaching Talent" and the fundraising will take care of itself.

Rick

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Cerebus said:

True.  At least Shanice Stephens never impregnated anyone.  

She needed to come talk to me then. 'Cause damn she was hot!!!

I dont want anyone from Texas, or OU, etc. Nab an AD from another mid major. Check out the MAC schools & SunBelt. 

5 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I want Tasty to come back and do a potential candidate breakdown, but I fear the Benford non-firing was the last straw for him.

Already did it. A thread from last October...

If I'm hiring, this is my guy. Fundraising isn't his selling point, but he's got a history of success with it, too. Read through the thread for several responses outlining more reasoning why he'd be fantastic. 

3 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

If I'm hiring, this is my guy. Fundraising isn't his selling point, but he's got a history of success with it, too. Read through the thread for several responses outlining more reasoning why he'd be fantastic. 

He'd be a good one.

Rick

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

That's right. My old ass forgot. Still good to see you back around.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

agreed that he might very well be awesome but I think his affiliation with ACU was the driving force for his success there.  I also think that UNT wouldn't be up his alley in that he seems to prefer religious institutions vs artsy fartsy public universities. Wouldn't hurt to ask though

16 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Brad Teague at Central Arkansas or someone similar.

Central Arkansas found Teague at Delta St in Mississippi, proof that highly successful people can be found at the lower levels. They're usually accountable and expect those around them to be, are very hungry to rise to any challenge to win and succeed and they appreciate where they came from before.  

http://www.ucasports.com/staff.aspx?staff=46

If you hire someone who has been used to the P5 red carpet treatment they're gonna be dissapointed from the beginning.

Rick

I love Dr Teague, but not sure he is ready for the big time, he did good with UCA transition, but not sure he is ready for a G5 job just yet, but I do like your thinking, although his Men's BB pick was an utter disaster.

He is not a big fundraiser but knows how to weave thru all the political  BS at a University

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You know... I bet if Todge were to come up through the AD ranks, starting out as a Fundraising Coordinator or something, he may eventually become a good AD.  Can't just make the jump from successful HS AD to D1 AD though.

What type of AD plan would he have?

Agree you don't look for someone who is a good fundraiser at a P5.

What you should want is someone who can create and foster a department that relentlessly pursues a vision. We never really had a vision under the previous AD. What was it, build facilities?

Your leader needs to be someone who can create a vision, and then hire smart people to execute and let them do their job.

On 5/23/2016 at 1:10 PM, TreeFiddy said:

If we are going to go with someone who has uTexas ties, let's go with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mack_Brown

I think he would easily raise 10mm+ per year.  Whatever you had to pay him would be worth it.  Instant credibility in the state and nationally.  Single hire puts you immediately on the same level as programs like UH and puts you in every conference conversation.  What would it take?  $1mm?  More?

I had the same idea of hiring Mack. I think it would be a costly hire as well, since he has wanted to get back into coaching(but he has been out of it for 2 years now, don't think its likely at his age he gets back plus he has ESPN to counter-bid UNT.)  

The Pros of Mack-- Most likely every player in the Nation knows his name, plus Mack was known as a great recruiter at UNC and UT. Not sure if Brown and Littrell have any type of connection via UNC since Brown was there so long ago. But Mack would help recruiting in Football and maybe in other sports but i doubt it. Mack also made UT into a money machine with its own network as well, so he seems like he is someone that can raise money and awareness for a program. Was looked at as a possible AD at UT when he left coaching.

The Cons of Mack-- Never been an AD and how would this impact other sports, no track record of doing anything besides football

My thoughts, Mack would a great hire just because of the name and how he would have UNT possibly overtake SMU and help compete with Patterson at TCU in terms of big-name coaches... but not really sure what else Mack could do.. But we need an AD that can make UNT a brand, and not a place that people go for 4 years and everyone says never heard of UNT...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

I had the same idea of hiring Mack. I think it would be a costly hire as well, since he has wanted to get back into coaching(but he has been out of it for 2 years now, don't think its likely at his age he gets back plus he has ESPN to counter-bid UNT.)  

The Pros of Mack-- Most likely every player in the Nation knows his name, plus Mack was known as a great recruiter at UNC and UT. Not sure if Brown and Littrell have any type of connection via UNC since Brown was there so long ago. But Mack would help recruiting in Football and maybe in other sports but i doubt it. Mack also made UT into a money machine with its own network as well, so he seems like he is someone that can raise money and awareness for a program. Was looked at as a possible AD at UT when he left coaching.

The Cons of Mack-- Never been an AD and how would this impact other sports, no track record of doing anything besides football

My thoughts, Mack would a great hire just because of the name and how he would have UNT possibly overtake SMU and help compete with Patterson at TCU in terms of big-name coaches... but not really sure what else Mack could do.. But we need an AD that can make UNT a brand, and not a place that people go for 4 years and everyone says never heard of UNT...

Agree wholeheartedly. This type of hire would be way out of the UNT box.

I haven't been able to think of another name that is not currently coaching that would have as big of an impact on UNT in all aspects. Especially credibility and fundraising. 

It would probably never happen in a million years, but we have seen a lot of things lately that many thought would never happen.