Lee Jackson Retiring

Cerebus

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

Mostly correct, but TWU also wanted the buyer of the law school, either TCU or UNT, to pay TWU a 40 year, $2.5 million lease on the buildings that housed the law school. That would all $100 million to the price over 40 years. The devil is always in the details that the lease was a detail that wasn't well publicized. TWU needed both immediate cash and money to cover buildings they bought and built. The lease was what made the total cost too high for both UNT and TCU. 

When A&M made the eventual purchase, they negotiated the present value of the $100 over 40 years at about 4.25%. That's about $47 million and combined with the $32 price for the school itself you get the $79 million. 

The total deal was never just $25 or $32 million, there was a lease involved. 

You and your facts. 

You are not going to be invited to the inner circle with that kind of attitude. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On April 13, 2016 at 7:11 AM, VideoEagle said:

Mostly correct, but TWU also wanted the buyer of the law school, either TCU or UNT, to pay TWU a 40 year, $2.5 million lease on the buildings that housed the law school. That would all $100 million to the price over 40 years. The devil is always in the details that the lease was a detail that wasn't well publicized. TWU needed both immediate cash and money to cover buildings they bought and built. The lease was what made the total cost too high for both UNT and TCU. 

When A&M made the eventual purchase, they negotiated the present value of the $100 over 40 years at about 4.25%. That's about $47 million and combined with the $32 price for the school itself you get the $79 million. 

The total deal was never just $25 or $32 million, there was a lease involved. 

First, two BOR members never said a word about a lease agreement to me and several others during a conversation we had together in 2003..

I'm not calling bullshit on your claim here,...but it would seem that had something that would have tripled the known asking price actually existed it would be difficult to leave out when questioned by alumni and local news media?  Do you have a source from 2003?

Secondly,...$100 Million would still be a fantastic deal,...especially if nearly 70 percent of it could be paid out over 40 years.  If that was actually the case and we knew it and didn't jump on it then Jackson is a bigger dumbass than originally thought.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• 7 months later...
On 4/8/2016 at 10:20 AM, Cerebus said:

Will step down in 2017.  I haven't seen an official announcement yet, not sure when it will be announced.

Good news: 2017 is less than a month away. Can only be between 1 and 13 months from now.

Bad news: Still haven't seen an official announcement anywhere.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• 3 months later...

Once again, the moderators have it out for me.  

On 3/9/2017 at 9:42 AM, greenminer said:

What could a pro-athletics Chancellor mean for us moving forward?

The real question is what could a Pro MAIN CAMPUS chancellor mean for NT moving forwards.  

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

The real question is what could a Pro MAIN CAMPUS chancellor mean for NT moving forwards.  

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Bingo.

Too much attention diverted to UNT-D, UNTHSC, UNT-D Law.   Not enough to UNT.

1 hour ago, drycreek said:

STAYED 3 TO 4 YEARS TO LONG------GLAD TO SEE HIM  GOING [GONE]

I concur fully with the above comments.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Chances it's a UNT grad? Next to nothing?

A&M and UH have non grads as chancellor.  UT and TT have alum chancellors.    

While I would prefer an NT grad as chancellor, it's not a necessity if the right person is found.  I am concerned that only about 50% of our BOR are NT alumni.  That is very low when compared to other state universities in Texas.

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

A&M and UH have non grads as chancellor.  UT and TT have alum chancellors.    

While I would prefer an NT grad as chancellor, it's not a necessity if the right person is found.  I am concerned that only about 50% of our BOR are NT alumni.  That is very low when compared to other state universities in Texas.

I found it interesting the Royce West credited Jackson with "doing what is best for Dallas and all of North Texas." Notice how Dallas is placed in front of North Texas in that sentence? Great description of Jackson's tenure here.

I also noticed that the Chancellor's office is located in Dallas. Nothing says out of touch like an office located a county away from the flagship campus of the system...

And he is the grandfather of the NTTA? The government hand that is perpetually reaching in citizens' pockets? Another reason to dislike the man.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I found it interesting the Royce West credited Jackson with "doing what is best for Dallas and all of North Texas." Notice how Dallas is placed in front of North Texas in that sentence? Great description of Jackson's tenure here.

It's worse than that.  Royce West isn't talking about U of NT when he says "North Texas", he means the region, not the university.  West doesn't even mention the university.  I think too often Jackson made decisions on what benefited his friends and allies in local and regional politics, not what benefited the U of NT System.  

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

It's worse than that.  Royce West isn't talking about U of NT when he says "North Texas", he means the region, not the university.  West doesn't even mention the university.  I think too often Jackson made decisions on what benefited his friends and allies in local and regional politics, not what benefited the U of NT System.  

I'd agree with this where some (IT?) functions were moved from Denton to the Systems Center in Downtown Dallas.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I also noticed that the Chancellor's office is located in Dallas. Nothing says out of touch like an office located a county away from the flagship campus of the system...

New Chancellor better office in Denton, you know, where the entire system's bread is buttered.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Oh, no doubt. He is the typical sleezy politician. It's all about personal favors and taking care of one another. Quite familiar. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

One possible option may be an alum. Dr. Michael Burgess. Connected, loves NT, very close friends with Senator Jane Nelson which is a plus.

It he ready to retire as a Congressman yet? I know OU, A&M and others have had great positive results by recruiting leaders from the senior levels of government. 

5 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

It he ready to retire as a Congressman yet? I know OU, A&M and others have had great positive results by recruiting leaders from the senior levels of government. 

I obviously can't speak for him. I saw him Saturday night and should have asked if the job would be of interest. Should put his name under consideration anyway. He would be what people thought Jackson would be but was not. We need someone with political clout. At one time I thought Kay Bailey Hutchison would have taken the job, if we could have dumped Jackson, but that ship has sailed.   

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1