Lee Jackson Retiring

Cerebus

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Does the Board of Regents hire the Chancellor or is that something the Governor of Texas does?

I believe the BOR are appointed by the guvnah, then the BOR do a search for, and appoint, a chancellor.

• Upvote 3

My understanding is that the Governor appoints the Board of Regents and they in turn appoint the Chancellor.   So this hiring will be made primarily by the Board of Regents as I understand it.  The chairman of the BOR is Brint Ryan so I expect he will have a big say in who it is.    Here is a listing of the UNT BOR:

https://www.untsystem.edu/regents/profiles.htm

The trend of Chancellor hires at large universities seemed to be moving towards former politicians (John Sharp Texas A&M, Senator Robert Duncan Texas Tech and Kent Hance prior to him).  There are also hires in academia (Renu Khator at University of Houston) and Vistasp M. Karbhari at UTA.  UT Austin just hired a former Admiral William McRaven.    McRaven was responsible for the unit which killed Osama Bin Laden and is a Texas alum.

It will be extremely interesting to see who the BOR hires.  Could it possibly be an actual UNT alum?  Jackson was less of a politician although he did serve as a state representative and county judge. 

Of note, Korn Ferry was a search firm consultant involved in the last hiring.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

The trend of Chancellor hires at large universities has moved towards former politicans (John Sharp Texas A&M, Senator Robert Duncan Texas Tech and Kent Hance prior to him.  There are also hires in academia (Renu Khator at University of Houston) and Vistasp M. Karbhari at UTA.  UT Austin just hired a former Admiral William McRaven.    McRaven was responsible for the unit which killed Osama Bin Laden and is a Texas alum.

It will be extremely interesting to see who the BOR hires.

Yes, that is the trend. As for what Jackson did, I'm told the law school would never have gotten through the legislature without his work. To a lessor degree, I'm told he quietly kept several funding cuts from happening. A big part of the Chancellor job is dealing with politicians so having someone with that skill is very important. I don't think the job has had or will have much input into athletics. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

43 minutes ago, Harry said:

My understanding is that the Governor appoints the Board of Regents and they in turn appoint the Chancellor.   So this hiring will be made primarily by the Board of Regents as I understand it.  The chairman of the BOR is Brint Ryan so I expect he will have a big say in who it is.    Here is a listing of the UNT BOR:

https://www.untsystem.edu/regents/profiles.htm

You are correct-the  BOR is appointed by the Governor, and the BOR hires the Chancellor. Based on the Regent's profiles,  several have terms expiring in 2017.( One Regent's term expires next month, but the Governors appointment office is behind schedule so she probably won't roll off for a few more months.) So, unless the BOR fast tracks the hiring process, the new Chancellor may be selected by a board that looks much different than the existing one. 

• Upvote 1

On April 8, 2016 at 10:29 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Checking calendar, it appears to be April 8th.  This would either be a VERY LATE, ergo VERY UN-COOL April Fools joke, or:

best-day-ever.gif

Best news in months.

And to the question to what he's done for the law school legislatively?  Absolutely nothing.  

It's been one bad decision after another, it's poorly funded, has been a massive drain on our budget, and barely even exists despite hundreds of millions spent and projected.  There was a very affordable state law school already up and running just down the road that was up for sale for years..(asking price was $32 Million when we were first approached to buy it per BOR members Bobby Ray and C. Dan Smith)....and  thanks to our dragging-ass approach A&M was allowed to finally swoop in and take it.  

Jackson has been a disasterous hire.  Good effing riddance if true.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Best news in months.

And to the question to what he's done for the law school legislatively?  Absolutely nothing.  

It's been one bad decision after another, it's poorly funded, has been a massive drain on our budget, and barely even exists despite hundreds of millions spent and projected.  There was a very affordable state law school already up and running just down the road that was up for sale for years..(asking price was $22 Million when we were first approached to buy it per BOR members Bobby Ray and C. Dan Smith)....and  thanks to our dragging-ass approach A&M was allowed to finally swoop in and take it.  

Rick

And that law school could have been attached to the main campus, rather than to some pet project created by Jackson and West. Mr. SMU didn't like the idea of that big school to the north picking up any future law school prestige in the area. Almost as big of an F-up as allowing San Marcos to take the Texas State name without a fight. Same ole same ole. 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Best news in months.

It's been one bad decision after another, it's poorly funded, has been a massive drain on our budget, and barely even exists despite hundreds of millions spent and projected.  There was a very affordable state law school already up and running just down the road that was up for sale for years..(asking price was $22 Million when we were first approached to buy it per BOR members Bobby Ray and C. Dan Smith)....and  thanks to our dragging-ass approach A&M was allowed to finally swoop in and take it.  

Rick

Yep, a law school that has been producing excellent criminal attorneys for years.

A law school that had a one of a kind (at least that I know of) night program that allowed non-traditional students to fulfill a dream they may not have been able to fulfill otherwise. A perfect fit for UNT.

But A&M bought it and promptly discontinued the night program. Go figure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3