MGB: Benford to enter 5th season in final year of contract

Brett Vito

“I met with the president and the decision was made that he has a five-year contract and that we will honor that five-year contract,” Villarreal said. “There are some people out there who doubt coach Benford, but we took into consideration the talent of the kids that he has coming back. We played every game with a starting five that had never played a game together before, have more than 90 percent of our scoring returning and are adding Keith Frazier.”

Talent doesn't me anything if you don't have team chemistry which is the coach's responsibility.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

This is exactly right.  

And why is Smatresk even in the discussion here? If our AD can't make these decisions without talking to him first then what are we paying our AD for?  

Rick

He is in the discussion so RV can have someone to blame, or to at least say it was his and Snatresk's "mutual decision."

This is Rick Villarreal ego on display. The man will not admit failure. Never has. This is his decision, and his decision alone.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

with the messed up logic RV gave, then why did they fire DMac, he had a contract that they had extended 2 yrs prior. Such piss poor excuses being made here. Exactly who's fault is it that the starting 5 had never played together, would that not be piss poor recruiting by the Coach

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Didn't McCarney, Dickey, Petersen and Stephens all have years left on their contracts?  I also dislike NT playing up the Frazier signing like they had just signed a 5 star player out of high school.   Half year of play, if NT is lucky.  

I do like the players coming back, but the decision to trust Benford with them; rather than hire someone who has established something. is at best questionable.  

Trying to get cover be tying the president to the decision is about as cowardly as it comes.  I guess a positive is that he didn't extend his contract.  

The problem is that if Benford has limited success next year, said a 18 win season with a oc schedule like this year, than it is almost assured he will be granted a new contract.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, untbowler said:

with the messed up logic RV gave, then why did they fire DMac, he had a contract that they had extended 2 yrs prior. Such piss poor excuses being made here. Exactly who's fault is it that the starting 5 had never played together, would that not be piss poor recruiting by the Coach

Never try and apply logic to UNT athletics. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

I like the "some people doubt Coach Benford" part. No, based on 4 years of atrocious basketball, any sane human being doubts Coach Benford.

Just a mind boggling decision being made here. I honestly really didn't think we'd get to this point and better judgement would prevail. I feel dumb.

• Upvote 2