MGB: All quiet on the hoops front

Brett Vito

18 minutes ago, GangGreen said:

TBS. Even Benturd kept all but one of JJ's when he was hired. We have lost players while he was the coach. We might lose some if he is gone. If that is the reason for keeping him, that is incredibly stupid.

This line of thinking also implies that nobody can bring in players on the same level as Benturd. Let me make this next statement clear. This is not a shot at our current players, but the bottom line is that we are talking about keeping a crappy coach because we are afraid that we might lose a couple of players from a 20 loss basketball team.

Just a couple of little fixes.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

What will irk me more than anything in this whole situation is if there isn't even an announcement to explain whatever decision is made and the rationale behind it.  

Ahhhhhhahahaha right. 

The basis of the decision has been shotgun sprayed all over this forum. It's about retaining 2 players. It's actually in my opinion about deceiving 2 players. Brown & Brice. They are the nucleus of this team moving forward. Some believe by keeping the coach intact that these 2 players will feel obligated to stay true to North Texas. If we cut the head off right now, some believe these 2 would be more inclined to transfer. Also, they can't fire our 2 "revenue" (no such thing at UNT with this AD) sport coaches in the same school calendar year. Makes RV look bad. I mean worse. It's all...just....bullshit. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 5

30 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

What will irk me more than anything in this whole situation is if there isn't even an announcement to explain whatever decision is made and the rationale behind it.  

And this assumes that there is even a decision-making process in motion. More than likely, there will be lots of pacing and chewing of fingernails with an occasional utterance of "Oh, shit...oh, shit...OH DEAR!". Stall, play up Spring Football, and make it to summer without taking any action. By then the "minute few" will have forgotten all about it because their little minds just can't retain thoughts that long.

200.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

If Benford remains as head BB coach, I can already vision next year's basketball schedule.

I think I see your vision...RPI's over 225 a pre-requisite?

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GangGreen said:

TBS. Even Benturd kept all but one of JJ's when he was hired. We have lost players while he was the coach. We might lose some if he is gone. If that is the reason for keeping him, that is incredibly stupid.

This line of thinking also implies that nobody can bring in players on the same level as Benturd. Let me make this next statement clear. This is not a shot at our current players, but the bottom line is that we are talking about keeping a crappy coach because we are afraid that we might lose a couple of players from a losing basketball team.

The other flaw with that line of thinking is that every team in this conference is set to return at least 3 starters, besides MTSU and ODU, who played each other in the CUSA championship game. And I think ODU actually does return three starters, just not 3 of their top 5 scorers. And MTSU gets their two best players back.

Ok...So Vito brought up buyout issues as a part of why they aren't cutting ties with Benford. SoOoOoOo...Are they going to give him a fake ass extension so we can successfully recruit more 12-20 players? If so, we are going to be sitting on our thumb in the exact same situation in 1 year. If they do not extend him we are folding shop that is UNT basketball and doing things so UNT. 

Again, how is the man in charge of allllll these debacles STILL employed by UNT. We're such a joke. 

• Upvote 4

I'm just confused why we're worried about two players decision to play with a new head coach? If they want to leave, let them leave.  I wasn't aware that our entire basketball program relied on these two players.  I'd like to think that our entire program is bigger than certain individuals players but I could be wrong.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Combs is the player that NT doesn't want to lose, he is something special.  Brown is very promising and Brice has a much higher ceiling than the other tall guys NT has recruited over the past couple of decades.   However, neither were major factors their first year.  

My  un-solicited opinion is retaining players is just an excuse to hang on to Benford.  

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Combs is the player that NT doesn't want to lose, he is something special.  Brown is very promising and Brice has a much higher ceiling than the other tall guys NT has recruited over the past couple of decades.   However, neither were major factors their first year.  

My  un-solicited opinion is retaining players is just an excuse to hang on to Benford.  

Agree with your analysis. That said, still a completely unacceptable excuse for retaining a woefully underperforming coaching staff.

Program>Individual players

• Upvote 1

Why anyone would sink one hard earned dime into this shit show of an athletic department and college administration at this point is beyond me.

Keep Benford and watch long term donors continue to leave in droves. Droves being 25 to 35% this year.

Open that wallet wider, @flyonthewall, because friendship with your little buddy will get more and more expensive. 

The excuse of needing to keep a 20 loss team together is laughable and a cheap reason to protect the ego of Rick Villarreal, who can't admit the huge failure that he has become as AD at UNT. Stunning that a major university would go along with this retention to protect the extremely fragile ego of a failed athletic director. 

Only at North Texas, the laughing stock of college athletics in the State of Texas.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 6

This situation, assuming nothing happens, does start to make me think the sky is falling - conspiracy theorists are right. It also makes me question how much I should continue to support at all.

I mean... in football there were some positives in the entire McCarney era, and when things were obviously bad a change was made surprisingly soon.

But it seems that we just don't care about basketball. Either that or we can't afford to make a change, so we're making excuses for why things will be better the next year. It depresses me. If football didn't have tailgating where I get to spend time with family and friends, i'd be out completely.

• Upvote 5

As I said, if Benford gets retained, especially without an extension, that loud laughter you will hear is mine--and yes, I'll be laughing at my alma mater. And other than the 1500 that show up to the Super Pit, so will a lot of other folks.

It is fitting that this is becoming hilarious...after all,  #itsallajoke.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We are an effing joke if we retain him.

Consider how bad recruiting will be next year if we are just as much a joke next year. I feel bad for any coach following this.  And suppose he does hit just .500 next year. What do we extend his contract to then?  If he was 17-15, do we give him an extension?! This is ridiculous. I am at the point of so many where walking away until we get new, real leadership is likely the best for my leisure pursuits. I can't take much more of this shit show. 

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

As I said, if Benford gets retained, especially without an extension, that loud laughter you will hear is mine--and yes, I'll be laughing at my alma mater. And other than the 1500 that show up to the Super Pit, so will a lot of other folks.

It is fitting that this is becoming hilarious...after all,  #itsallajoke.

It's funny that you think there will still be 1500 people that show up to the Super Pit if we retain Benford. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Travis said:

We are an effing joke if we retain him.

Consider how bad recruiting will be next year if we are just as much a joke next year. I feel bad for any coach following this.  And suppose he does hit just .500 next year. What do we extend his contract to then?  If he was 17-15, do we give him an extension?! This is ridiculous. I am at the point of so many where walking away until we get new, real leadership is likely the best for my leisure pursuits. I can't take much more of this shit show. 

Add me to the mix.  I'd have dropped out last year if my wife weren't threatening me with having to get on the Baylor bandwagon (MUCH more expensive) should our fall weekends suddenly not feature UNT home games.  I've lost all hope at this point....which is crazy considering what we spend relative to our conference mates.  We should NOT be this bad in football AND basketball, but somehow we consistently get less return on investment than what should reasonably be expected.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 4