Make Your Way-Too-Early Prediction of the SMU Game Attendance

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Why "should" this be a sell out?  We played them to start the 2014 season, coming off of a bowl winning season, and didn't sell out.  

I'll generously say 22k...and the ponies bring 750 of it.  

A couple of reasons it is different from 2014.  First game for both teams were hope is high.  In 2014, both teams had lopsided losses in the first game.  New coaching staff and new hope.

You make a good point, the 2014 attendance was very disappointing as has been overall attendance at NT.   I think the SMU turnout will be higher than you anticipate although they brought max a couple of hundred in 2014, student attendance will be very strong, and hopefully overall support will grow. 

21 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

A couple of reasons it is different from 2014.  First game for both teams were hope is high.  In 2014, both teams had lopsided losses in the first game.  New coaching staff and new hope.

You make a good point, the 2014 attendance was very disappointing as has been overall attendance at NT.   I think the SMU turnout will be higher than you anticipate although they brought max a couple of hundred in 2014, student attendance will be very strong, and hopefully overall support will grow. 

But Portland St 66 UNT 7 hadn't happened the year before.

18.5k because of opening day. If the weather is good and it's a 6pm kick. 

If UNT loses, look for 15k or less against Butt Cookman.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

smug will be confident about the direction of their program and their chances vs us. They bring a crowd that dwarfs what they brought in 2014. We are dumb, optimistic North Texas fans so we will show up especially considering this will be our coaches debut. 22.5K if kickoff is at a bad time. 26.5K if kickoff is in the evening. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

If we get more than 3,000 SMU fans it will throw a huge monkey wrench in my opinion.  So I will only predict the number of UNT fans at 17,500k.   I think 3,000 SMU fans will show up for a grand total of 20,500.

SMU will bring their usual 500-750. They don't view this game the same way the hard core, "SMU kept us out of the SWC" UNT fan does. It's more of a nuisance to them. If they lose, people make fun of them. If they win, people don't care, because they only beat UNT. They won't make the 30 mile drive. Plain and simple. They didn't in 2014 and they won't this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, UNT90 said:

SMU will bring their usual 500-750. They don't view this game the same way the hard core, "SMU kept us out of the SWC" UNT fan does. It's more of a nuisance to them. If they lose, people make fun of them. If they win, people don't care, because they only beat UNT. They won't make the 30 mile drive. Plain and simple. They didn't in 2014 and they won't this year.

I agree about the number of their fans showing up and your reasoning. 

Mean Green fans would show up in Dallas in much larger numbers than SMU regardless of opponent.  SMU has the worst fan base in FBS football.

UNT has been called a "sleeping giant" and it's true. It's maddening that our current situation is allowed to happen. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, GreenFlag said:

I agree about the number of their fans showing up and your reasoning. 

Mean Green fans would show up in Dallas in much larger numbers than SMU regardless of opponent.  SMU has the worst fan base in FBS football.

UNT has been called a "sleeping giant" and it's true. It's maddening that our current situation is allowed to happen. 

UNT isn't a sleeping giant. Don't fall for that BS line. UNT is where they always have been. At the bottom of FBS sports. The big donors  don't care, the administration doesn't care, hell, about 1/4 of the most hardcore fans don't care.

Hence, very very very very few UNT alumni care about UNT athletics. That includes many a former UNT athlete. 

UNT has missed its window. It will never be much more than it is now athletically, and everyone (big donors, administration, extremely small fan base) is pretty much fine with that.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Gentlemen(a term loosely used around here), I submit that first and foremost on our minds should be more about the 2016 version of UNT football actually defeating SMU in the season opener. Don't care if it's ><5000 people in attendance.  We really need a win bad.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Gentlemen(a term loosely used around here), I submit that first and foremost on our minds should be more about the 2016 version of UNT football actually defeating SMU in the season opener. Don't care if it's ><5000 people in attendance.  We really need a win bad.

^