MGB: UNT to host top QB prospect

Brett Vito

6 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

So far I only show his other offer as Indiana, is that the old Littrell offer anyways still showing up? Wonder why this kid has flown under the radar. Figured we would get him. 

247 shows he has/had an offer from VATech too.  I wonder if the new staff there rescinded that offer.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

247 shows he has/had an offer from VATech too.  I wonder if the new staff there rescinded that offer.

I noticed that but rivals hasn't shown it and haven't heard of him visiting either school. You'd have to assume those would be his first visits if he still had an offer from a P5.

2 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I noticed that but rivals hasn't shown it and haven't heard of him visiting either school. You'd have to assume those would be his first visits if he still had an offer from a P5.

Both IU and VT offers are old. 

Landing him would be a nice get.

In no way do I believe he is a highly regarded prospect.

Florida St might ask him to be a preferred walk on.

• Upvote 2

http://www.gobblercountry.com/2015/7/17/8984603/backs-to-the-future-hokie-quarterback-and-running-back-recruiting-2016

DeBiase is an interesting case. Making a comparison for him brings to mind a mesh of several players. Playing style wise, he reminds me of Collin Klein, the quarterback from Kansas State a couple years ago. He can throw well enough; he's decently athletic and can move around and avoid pressure or take off running. He currently runs the Chris Ault-invented Pistol formation, which basically is a short shotgun with the back behind the quarterback rather than to the side, combining shotgun and I formation. We experimented with this formation with Thomas for years. With how his offensive line blocked for him, he needed that extra time. He has a sidearm delivery similar looking to Philip Rivers- maybe a bit more exaggerated than that, though, as Rivers has made his motion very compact over years of refinement. He throws a better ball than Jackson, at least on tape.  Right now he's getting some sniffs from SEC teams, including UGA and apparently has interest from Indiana (They're rated higher than us on the interest level in 247, which can mean something...or nothing. On lower level prospects, their success rates tend to be lower). 

• Upvote 3

If the internet is right, it looks like he played at four different high schools in four years.

Here are the schools and seasons he played there, based on the regular season stats (10 games?) in the Jacksonville.com (local paper) database:

Allen Nease HS (Ponte Vedra) - 2012 - 56% passer, 400 yds, 5 td 7 int

Providence HS (Jacksonville) - 2013 - 63% passer, 1700 yds, 17 td 7 int

Jacksonville Fletcher HS  - 2014 - 58% passer, 1300 yds, 14 td 6 int

Jacksonville Raines HS - 2015  - 64% passer, 1400 yds, 16 td 5 int

Based on the hudl videos I saw, I guess I will have to defer to the coach's if they are high on him.  To my untrained eye, I saw a lot of throws that looked like the throws from the last half of last year and most of this year.  Lots of throws I saw in the videos would have trouble finding their target at this level, imho.  I did not see a lot of zip, lots of floaters and touch passes.  I am sure he has a plenty strong arm, I just didn't see much of it.

40 minutes ago, Big Dog said:

If the internet is right, it looks like he played at four different high schools in four years.

Here are the schools and seasons he played there, based on the regular season stats (10 games?) in the Jacksonville.com (local paper) database:

Well, at least he's improved. I liked what I saw of his highlights, but I like that he took his last team to the state championship game more.

8 hours ago, eulessismore said:

Well, at least he's improved. I liked what I saw of his highlights, but I like that he took his last team to the state championship game more.

I don't care about state championship games. He won't be playing high school football at UNT. 

Id like to see better numbers from a QB recruit. Kinda junior season Conner Means here.

• Downvote 11

12 hours ago, Big Dog said:

Why four high schools?

I don't put a lot of faith in what I see in a Hudl video. These are compilations of clips from multiple games, possibly across multiple seasons. There are highly edited to put a player in the best possible light. A QG could throw 5 interceptions, take 10 sacks but manage to scramble and throw a 50 yard TD in a game and the only thing in the video is the 50 TD. 

Almost every school has a coaches show - a half hour raw-raw summary of how great the team played each week. Back in the 70s I was always amazed at the TCU coaches show as they could always find 3 to 5 minutes of footage in every single game that made it appear they'd beat UT, A&M or SMU when they actually lost by 30 points. Hudl videos are the same thing for individual players. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I don't put a lot of faith in what I see in a Hudl video. These are compilations of clips from multiple games, possibly across multiple seasons. There are highly edited to put a player in the best possible light. A QG could throw 5 interceptions, take 10 sacks but manage to scramble and throw a 50 yard TD in a game and the only thing in the video is the 50 TD. 

Almost every school has a coaches show - a half hour raw-raw summary of how great the team played each week. Back in the 70s I was always amazed at the TCU coaches show as they could always find 3 to 5 minutes of footage in every single game that made it appear they'd beat UT, A&M or SMU when they actually lost by 30 points. Hudl videos are the same thing for individual players. 

That's why I prefer to see them live in spring, (or fall if they are freshmen), practice. But then, by the time I see them in either of those practices, we've already made a commitment.

Here's likely why the kid is not being recruited harder:  http://football.debartolosportsu.com/news/view/474

His dad.  Specifically, his dad has had him hooked up with kook/guru Joe Dickinson who briefly was an assistant at OU - when Littrell was there, but before Stoops and a real coaching staff were hired.

This Dickinson styles himself as a QB guru:  http://football.debartolosportsu.com/team

In my opinion, there is no bigger name dropper than Dickinson.  That this kid's name is firmly attached to him likely just causes many colleges coaches to say, "Thanks, but no thanks."

A Florida State message board on the transferring around/further Dad issues with this kid: http://floridastate.247sports.com/Board/36/Contents/spring-games-37013450

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I don't care about state championship games. He won't be playing high school football at UNT. 

Id like to see better numbers from a QB recruit. Kinda junior season Conner Means here.

If he lost all through high school you'd be in here like "Well it doesn't look like he's used to a winning culture, I'm not too confident about his ability to win here."  Biggest ass whip in history.  You seem miserable and it almost makes me sad.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Means barely hit 50% completion percentage his junior year and didn't hit 50% his senior year. Debiase actually had 2500 yards. 1400 was from the regular season, but as Vito said, he sat a lot in the second half because they would be up by so much. Way ahead of Means as a senior.

• Upvote 2