MGB: Liberty QB Nick Starkel talks about UNT offer, plans

Brett Vito

Since feeling at home is one of his top 2 criteria, you'd think it'd have to be UNT right? He can practically see his house from Apogee! Can you feel more at home than that?

Joking aside, I'm just glad we finally have a coaching staff that is exciting recruits and actually talks to more than 3 high school kids a year! 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

Littrel is doing something that Mac never did. Capitalized on the excitement in the beginning. This is a lot of fun!

Even if we don't get him, WE ARE IN THE HUNT. That is the important thing. High school players take notice of who signs where and that can start a snowball effect. Starkel is the number 15 pro style QB IN THE NATION. We are in the conversation for 3 and 4 star players(Starkel, Kincade, Stevenson, Morris) and actually signing some(English). Last year we were clamoring for low 2-star recruits that had offers from American Truck Driving School and Ogle School of Hair Design and were elated when we got them. Things seem to be different around here so far and that IS exciting.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Even if we don't get him, WE ARE IN THE HUNT. That is the important thing. High school players take notice of who signs where and that can start a snowball effect. Starkel is the number 15 pro style QB IN THE NATION. We are in the conversation for 3 and 4 star players(Starkel, Kincade, Stevenson, Morris) and actually signing some(English). Last year we were clamoring for low 2-star recruits that had offers from American Truck Driving School and Ogle School of Hair Design and were elated when we got them. Things seem to be different around here so far and that IS exciting.

Hey now, a lot of excellent bus drivers have come out of US Truck Driving School!

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Didn't we lose a pretty decent recruit not long ago to truck driving?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

When we played Boise St. in the Big West days they were often called a glorified community college for a reason.  They had no PHD programs and only one masters degree, in Long Haul Logistics Management... in other words Truck Driving.  

ETA: Look no further than BSU to see what a successful athletics program can do to raise the academic reputation of a school.   Every average fan considers them to be a major university and yet they still only offer 6* doctoral programs.  North Texas offers 36 PHD programs and 80+ Masters programs.  

*Is 6 bad?  Well even UTSA offers 15, and then of course the Graduate Certificate in Chicken Frying.

BSU is a peculiar school.  Technically they offer 9 doc programs.  But, they actually offer more than that.  For instance, their Counseling Ed has a very small cohort (by intention). And those programs aren't counted toward the official doc program.  But, I see your point. BSU isn't recognized in the state of Idaho as a prominent academic institution.  A lot of Idahoans consider it a 'party school' or a 'sports school' but not so much of academic prestige. They are moving that direction... but, others are further along. Why do I know such random info? Because my spouse is on faculty there. 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MEEN2018 said:

Since feeling at home is one of his top 2 criteria, you'd think it'd have to be UNT right? He can practically see his house from Apogee! Can you feel more at home than that?

Joking aside, I'm just glad we finally have a coaching staff that is exciting recruits and actually talks to more than 3 high school kids a year! 

I actually think that is a serious matter. The guy can bring in quite a fan base to Apogee if he plays here. A lot of the Argyle crowd that watched him play at LC, can now drive 10-12 minutes North and see him play collegiate football in person. He can bring his dad and he will be able to see fiends and family more often.. Then if he attended the other schools on the list. He did say that he wants a college that feels like home and I seriously think UNT is the best pick in that aspect.

I also hope he takes into account what he could be doing for the North Texas program. If he comes here and shines, we very well might see UNT start going towards the success we have seen at UH. I know playing football is important to the kid and I think he will get the most playing time time right away if he picks UNT. But, I guess I can understand him going to the other three as well. He may want to go be a college student/athlete in Los Angeles, go follow the crowd in college station, or just strictly go to the college that will give him the more reputable degree at Yale... But I'm with the masses here and I can say that this is pretty exciting that a talented athlete like this is actually paying attention and taking UNT's offer very seriously. Even putting us up in a list that in the past, you would never see UNT typed in.

• Upvote 6