Silence on hiring

UNTexas

I don't think Littrell was 1st choice. I think Mecham changed his mind Monday morning after Texas made play for Cumby[sic?]

I'm still wrestling with the order of preference, but I do think that the Texas move blew our shot at Mecham.

• Upvote 1

0j1X3p3.gif

I am CHOOSING to believe that we have a done deal with Littrell but we are choosing not to announce until after the UNC/Clemson game, if Sunday comes and goes and no announcement is made, well then my reaction will change...

XkNVZxD.gif

May not come until Monday if they want Littell here for the announcement.

I just hope this AD doesn't forget to pick him up from the airport...

• Upvote 1

Why did Georgia announce that Smart is going to be their head coach before Alabama's game?

Georgia didn't announce Smart. It was leaked to the press just like Littrell was. The difference is they have a SEC title game on Saturday and we are sitting at home waiting for next season. Smart's name is flying around because Bama is a popular topic in college football. Littrell has been a foregone conclusion since the Meacham pulling his name out rumor happened. Just wait a few more days and everything will be fine.

Here is Nick Saban deflecting the questions about Smart. Nothing official has happened. It is just all rumor, just like Littrell and us. There are only 9 or 10 open FBS spots left and I bet almost all of those will be filled Sunday after the championship games are over.

• Upvote 2

I don't think Littrell was 1st choice. I think Mecham changed his mind Monday morning after Texas made play for Cumby[sic?]

I actually think it may be the other way around.  I think Littrell had an interview BEFORE Meacham, and Meacham had an opportunity to change RV/NS's minds during his interview, but could not.  When Meacham didn't hear back from them on Monday/Tuesday morning, he pulled his name from consideration to save face, which is perfectly understandable.  I don't think the UT-for-Cumbie play had anything to do with it... but I certainly hope Meacham parlayed the NT interest & UT's interest in Cumbie into more money for himself from TCU.

As others have said, silence (especially from Littrell) right now is good.  If Littrell were still shopping around, we would hear his name popping up with other job openings, and he would make sure to come out and deny anything to do with UNT so his options remained open.

• Upvote 7