Mike Canales ready to be a head coach

Harry

This is like losing 38 to 14 and saying "take away just four plays and we win that game 14-10."

Those plays happened. UTSA gave up points on big plays too. Both teams were extremely inept through long stretches of the game.

Suggesting we dominated the game isn't borne out in the stats. They had 31 first downs to our 19, 475 total yards to our 371 and 15 more minutes of possession.

It was a horrible game to watch, we played really bad. So shit yeah lets hire that coach! 

3-4 is a 43% winning percentage. Would you want UNT to hire a coach who won 43% of his games if his name wasn't Mike Canales?

Well seeing as how we haven't had a coach win 43% of his games since Corky Nelson and looking at what he's had to take over both times, I say hire the man. His 43% win pct at NT would be much more important then theirs at "insert name here" university. Also, with a 43% winning percentage, he'd have a better coaching record than the last guy we hired.

• Downvote 1

well, so far 2 lopsided losses versus the top 2 C-USA teams and 1 really tough win VS the worst team in C-USA....   I think there are many many coaches out there who could do that.  Why not wait to see Chico's finished masterpiece before asking if anyone could do better?

The losses were not as lopsided as the experts in Vegas expected them to be and Vegas expected us to lose to UTSA by 9. 

• Upvote 1

Well seeing as how we haven't had a coach win 43% of his games since Corky Nelson and looking at what he's had to take over both times, I say hire the man. His 43% win pct at NT would be much more important then theirs at "insert name here" university. Also, with a 43% winning percentage, he'd have a better coaching record than the last guy we hired.

A 43% winning percentage would make us worse than two-thirds of FBS teams. You need to set your sights higher. We didn't build a new stadium and increase our coach's salary to the $700,000 range to be mediocre.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The losses were not as lopsided as the experts in Vegas expected them to be and Vegas expected us to lose to UTSA by 9. 

Do you understand how Vegas works?    Who on earth is going to put money on North Texas after that 66-7 FCS beating?

And the two lopsided losses could have been much worse, but in true NT fashion, we put up some garbage points late VS WKU/Marshall's 2s&3s.

• Downvote 1

I don't think Smatty is going to give any of Mac's regime a chance. Absolute zero info to back this up, I'm going on pure gut feeling. I think RV is a lame duck AD at this point. Maybe.....

Well, Army of Dad and Withers940 noted in another thread that it IS now duck hunting season.  Not sayin...

• Upvote 1

I don't think Smatty is going to give any of Mac's regime a chance. Absolute zero info to back this up, I'm going on pure gut feeling. I think RV is a lame duck AD at this point. Maybe.....

Smatty?!

Well, Army of Dad and Withers940 noted in another thread that it IS now duck hunting season.  Not sayin...

225900459_rabbitseason_answer_2_xlarge.p

• Upvote 2

Were you really watching this game??

If homeboy didn't fumble McClain's scoop&score...  If doofus didn't get his extra point blocked...    This game can be played all day long.  

Fact is, the game was grinded out.  It absolutely was in doubt...  especially when they started moving the ball at will in the 2nd half (taking the lead in the 4th quarter) but kept shooting themselves in the foot to the tune of 9 points for the Mean Green.  Those 9 points, by the way, were more than the difference in the game.

Totally where I am on that game.  Yes, Damarcus fumbled...but, he does that EVERY game.  He fumbled into the end zone against WKU, but the play was reversed and he threw a TD a play or two later...WKU was already up by 4 or 5 TDs at that point anyway.  His ball security is just plain awful.  There's no other way around it.  It's not "being a gamer" either.  It's just sloppy ball handling.

UTSA...they pretty much pissed away the game to us.  We IN NO WAY dominated.  Neither UNT nor UTSA is capable of dominating anyone this year.  And...Canales was standing on the sideline. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A 43% winning percentage would make us worse than two-thirds of FBS teams. You need to set your sights higher. We didn't build a new stadium and increase our coach's salary to the $700,000 range to be mediocre.

You gotta start somewhere. You don't build a house from the top down, you build it from the bottom up. We are not going to go from 2-9 or 3-8 and jump to 9-3 the next season. You guys are talking about putting the shingles on the roof before we've even poured the foundation.

• Upvote 1

Totally where I am on that game.  Yes, Damarcus fumbled...but, he does that EVERY game.  He fumbled into the end zone against WKU, but the play was reversed and he threw a TD a play or two later...WKU was already up by 4 or 5 TDs at that point anyway.  His ball security is just plain awful.  There's no other way around it.  It's not "being a gamer" either.  It's just sloppy ball handling.
UTSA...they pretty much pissed away the game to us.  We IN NO WAY dominated.  Neither UNT nor UTSA is capable of dominating anyone this year.  And...Canales was standing on the sideline. 

Taking care of the football as a QB has 3 meanings.   1.  Don't throw INTs.  2. Don't fumble.  3. Avoid Sacks.  

#1 is much much more difficult to coach, because this is alot of instinct, or just plain poor throwing ability.   He has 3, but he's still sporting a 2-1 TD-INT ratio.
#2 is VERY coachable.  You're absolutely right, Smith struggles here, but the good news is, this one is coachable.
#3 isnt really a problem for Smith, at all.

3-4 is a 43% winning percentage. Would you want UNT to hire a coach who won 43% of his games if his name wasn't Mike Canales?

Not in favor of Canales for head coach, but you have to look at more than just his winning percentage. That's very short sighted. Twice he has taken terrible teams and had them play respectable ball. 

In 2010 he lost to our conference champion (Troy) by 6 points, to K-St by 8 points, and ULM by 12 points in addition to winning at WKU and MTSU.  His record was 2-3, but that's a fairly impressive 2-3 considering the team and the opponents.

In 2015 so far he has lost to the two best teams in our conference and beaten arguably the worst team in our conference (Charlotte might have something to say about that).  He'll almost certainly lose to possible conference champion LaTech and Tennessee.  For the sake of argument let's say we beat MTSU and UTEP.  As you said that's a 3-4 record, but just like 2010, that's a fairly impressive record considering the team and the opponents.

I still say there's not a coach out there who would have a better winning percentage taking over the same teams and playing the same schedules.

• Upvote 2

He's the offensive coordinator? Where do we stand in rankings in offense, uh, almost dead last and you want to keep this guy. Who's suppose to recruit QB's at UNT, he was! OMG we have the worst group of QB's in division-1, I mean these guys couldn't start for Southlake or Allen high school. Like I said, strip everything down to the studs and start over...

• Upvote 2

He's the offensive coordinator? Where do we stand in rankings in offense, uh, almost dead last and you want to keep this loser. Who's suppose to recruit QB's at UNT, he was! OMG we have the worst group of QB's in division-1, I mean these guys couldn't start for Southlake or Allen high school. Like I said, strip everything down to the studs and start over...

It was normally the really battered, beaten older fans that was wanting Chico for head coach after one win. 

It's not their fault. They love the abuser. 

I knew this sentiment would fade after the next beating (La. Tech). 

Sometimes I wish I could be wrong. Being constantly right about this program depresses even UNT90.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

It was normally the really battered, beaten older fans that was wanting Chico for head coach after one win. 

It's not their fault. They love the abuser. 

I knew this sentiment would fade after the next beating (La. Tech). 

Sometimes I wish I could be wrong. Being constantly right about this program depresses even UNT90.

Let's be clear about something. If us older fans were wanting an upbeat, positive, enthusiastic, thinks-he-can-win-with-any-group-of-players coach then we are guilty of wishful thinking......much like Canales himself. He is not an "abuser",  that would be our administrative system here at North Texas. So all of us that continue to claim to be North Texas fans are by that declaration alone.........abuse victims.

If anything, we are  much like the Shirley McClaine character in "Sweet Charity". Ever hopeful and ever wishing for someone to reward our blind faith.

That said, moving to the dark-ever-cynical-side is not the answer either.

• Upvote 2

Let's be clear about something. If us older fans were wanting an upbeat, positive, enthusiastic, thinks-he-can-win-with-any-group-of-players coach then we are guilty of wishful thinking......much like Canales himself. He is not an "abuser",  that would be our administrative system here at North Texas. So all of us that continue to claim to be North Texas fans are by that declaration alone.........abuse victims.

If anything, we are  much like the Shirley McClaine character in "Sweet Charity". Ever hopeful and ever wishing for someone to reward our blind faith.

That said, moving to the dark-ever-cynical-side is not the answer either.

I think that is grounds for a class action lawsuit, can we add depression and alcoholism also.