Next 10 yrs... a hypothetical

MeanGreenTexan

How do you like your wins?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer a consistent winner, but nothing sensational? Or, would you prefer a 'feast or famine' result?

• Give me the consistent winner with bowl games every year
    • Give me the special seasons mixed in with some awful ones.

Say we hire a coach with a great track record, and he comes in here and changes the mindset of UNT football as a place you can win.

He leaves us to take the job at Oklahoma State in 2025 after compiling a 73-47 regular-season record during his tenure here.  A sure-fire NT HOF'er.

Would you rather his record look something like this:                        Or, something like this:

SCENARIO 1 - Never a losing season SCENARIO 2 - Feast or Famine
YearWinsLossesBowl result YearWinsLossesBowl result
201666L - Bahamas 201657No Bowl
201784L - HoD 201775L - NM
201884W - NM 201884W - HoD
201975L - Hawaii 2019102L - Music City
202066L - Bahamas 202066L - Arizona
202175L - New Orleans 202148No Bowl
202284W - HoD 202257No Bowl
202384W - Independence 202393W - Independence
202475W - Miami Beach 202493L - Alamo
202584W - HoD 2025102W - Peach
Total7347Bowl Record: 5-5 Total7347Bowl Record: 3-4

What say you?

The first step is always building a consistent winner in your own league... Then you start to sprinkle in some wins over the big boys and that attracts even better players. finally, you start to consistently beat "better" programs. that is how it always works as far as long term elevation of a program (see TCU and UTAH for reference). 

I'll take wins in any way, shape, or form, but having spectacular seasons is the path to consistency. Beating big name teams like a Florida during a winning season would wake up the recruiting pipeline in a big way. You would think that the odds Gods would shine on us one of these days, but I guess we'll just have to wait on that one. And wait, and wait, and wait....

I said the consistent winner, but if you consider a few "awful seasons" as 4-8 and 5-7, what would you call this season?

P.S. In 2017, no way we're losing the Heart of Dallas Bowl in our own backyard!!!

Abysmal, catastrophic, lowest-of-the-low, bottom-of-the-barrel, ultimate suck...

4-8 is still pretty awful.  Especially if sandwiched between some 10-2 seasons at higher profile bowls than just the ones C-USA is tied to.

Say we hire a coach with a great track record, and he comes in here and changes the mindset of UNT football as a place you can win.

He leaves us to take the job at Oklahoma State in 2025 after compiling a 73-47 regular-season record during his tenure here.  A sure-fire NT HOF'er.

Would you rather his record look something like this:                        Or, something like this:

SCENARIO 1 - Never a losing season SCENARIO 2 - Feast or Famine
YearWinsLossesBowl result YearWinsLossesBowl result
201666L - Bahamas 201657No Bowl
201784L - HoD 201775L - NM
201884W - NM 201884W - HoD
201975L - Hawaii 2019102L - Music City
202066L - Bahamas 202066L - Arizona
202175L - New Orleans 202148No Bowl
202284W - HoD 202257No Bowl
202384W - Independence 202393W - Independence
202475W - Miami Beach 202493L - Alamo
202584W - HoD 2025102W - Peach
Total7347Bowl Record: 5-5 Total7347Bowl Record: 3-4

What say you?

Scenario 1 would be the best pick for UNT.

In scenario 2 he would be fired in 2022 and the 9-3. 9-3, 10-2 wouldn't happen.

Four bowls in a row followed by 2 losing season = gone.   Ask Darrell Dickey

• Upvote 3

In scenario 2 he would be fired in 2022 and the 9-3. 9-3, 10-2 wouldn't happen.

Four bowls in a row followed by 2 losing season = gone.   Ask Darrell Dickey

Assuming the recruiting has nosedived like it did toward the end for Dickey, and that the coach has alienated the entire fanbase like Dickey did, that is true.

As for the scenario, that's a very interesting question, and a very tough call.  I went for the "special" seasons accompanied by the bad, because I think that would generate far more lasting interest than the other.  But either one would be wonderful compared to what we've had since I began cheering on the Eagles in '93.

• Upvote 1

Assuming the recruiting has nosedived like it did toward the end for Dickey, and that the coach has alienated the entire fanbase like Dickey did, that is true.

As for the scenario, that's a very interesting question, and a very tough call.  I went for the "special" seasons accompanied by the bad, because I think that would generate far more lasting interest than the other.  But either one would be wonderful compared to what we've had since I began cheering on the Eagles in '93.

Agreed. And mostly because of what @Censored by Laurie said, we will hate on either but i'd rather the higher highs.

• Upvote 1

Give me a team that has a winning record year after year because that will make us look more attractive after this Hypothetical coach leaves for OSU. We would no longer be considered a laughing stock of college football, we would be able to out recruit the other shit heels in our state and our attendance should be very good

51ZoCxiLBmL._SX522_.jpg

I've had several debates with Tech fans during the SWC days about this.  Tech was always 1 or 2 games around .500.  Never a horrible team, but never an amazing or championship team either.  Meanwhile UH would have 1 or 2 win seasons, but also have championship and top 10 seasons. 

Yes, those 2 win seasons are horrendous, but it's all forgotten when you win that championship and knowing that you can compete with anyone.

• Upvote 1

I voted consistent winner, but honestly the two scenarios are very similar.  I mean, same won/loss record and 10 bowl games vs 7 bowl games.  To me feast or famine means something like a 9-4 record with a HoD bowl win one season followed by 4-8 and 2-10 (at best) seasons.  Give me 7-8 wins consistently with a 9 or 10 win season mixed in along with a 5 or 6 win season and I'd be happy.

NT is what it is. We need to look at this thing like the service academies do. Granted, they have a certain appeal to recruits since they are military academies. However, i believe NT can compete for similar players. Bring in a similar system and look at consistently winning 6 games every year with an occasional 9-10 win season. I'd take that in a heartbeat over the last decade of crap we've been exposed too.....

NT is what it is. We need to look at this thing like the service academies do. Granted, they have a certain appeal to recruits since they are military academies. However, i believe NT can compete for similar players. Bring in a similar system and look at consistently winning 6 games every year with an occasional 9-10 win season. I'd take that in a heartbeat over the last decade of crap we've been exposed too.....

That system you speak of is option football. They run it because of their inabilities to recruit top tier athletes on a consistent basis, much like North Texas. It's a proven winning formula.